Tailgate Cargo Rack Question

FFPulley77

Hooked
I have a 2 door JK and normally have the rear seat out, so cargo space isn’t usually a concern when camping. Now my daughter is getting older and wants to start going with my wife and I, so I’m trying to figure out how to load it and keep the backseat in.
I came across this Bestop system and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. I’m also looking at a Garvin tailgate rack, but this one looks like I can use the rack separately from the mounts. Any ideas, advice, etc. is appreciated.

Attachments

• F355A980-5988-4185-85A2-FEB3B8676C9D.jpeg
    F355A980-5988-4185-85A2-FEB3B8676C9D.jpeg
    615.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 836F77F3-74B2-4654-AC68-3CF8A7CFC058.jpeg
    836F77F3-74B2-4654-AC68-3CF8A7CFC058.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 4

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I would not recommend something like this unless you're planning on strapping really light stuff to it as it will add a LOT of weight to your already weak rear door.

FFPulley77

Hooked
Personally, I would not recommend something like this unless you're planning on strapping really light stuff to it as it will add a LOT of weight to your already weak rear door.
Good point… That’s also a concern I’ve had, I’ve been looking at the EVO or Rusty’s HD hinge. That brings up another question, which is, would a tailgate rack even work with one of those hinges? And if it does, would it even be worth it?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good point… That’s also a concern I’ve had, I’ve been looking at the EVO or Rusty’s HD hinge. That brings up another question, which is, would a tailgate rack even work with one of those hinges? And if it does, would it even be worth it?
Reinforcing the tailgate is the ONLY way I would do this and there are various rack options out there that secure to your spare so the would work.

Top Bottom