Synthetic Winch Line

JT@623

Hooked
I have the same setup it don’t take much to make it fit . I put the thimble between two 2X4’s and whacked it with a BFH
Yeah, I thought about that, but then I fear I'd have a really good looking hook with a galled-up loop that would be a pain in the ass getting the rope through if I had to repair the line. The hook is cool and all, but it's not worth making it fit.

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
I keep one of these in my tool kit, not sure if it will do any good if the line is breaking from being rotten.

They’re called FIDs. You don’t have to get them from Factor55. I believe I got mine from Shimano or something. Rather than knot tying, you splice synthetic. I do 3 full passes and then a feed thru of anywhere from 18” to 28”-36”. It makes a Chinese finger cuff, for lack of a better term. Usually your outer most layer of winch line has the most UV exposure. Cut that off and do the splice over again and you should get some more life out of your now shorter winch line. I’ll try to find the set I ordered. It came with 5 sizes if I remember. The biggest was good for my winch line, the smallest was too big for 550 cord. I think I used the 7/16” to make soft shackles for the quads.

Top Bottom