Synthetic Winch Line

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
So, When do you replace your synthetic winch line ? Do you wait for it to break ? or is there a timeframe they should be replaced ?

Was just looking at the Warn Spydura line to replace in kind but also looked at the new Yankum Rope winch line that has no metal ring on the end. What are you thoughts about going all synthetic ?

Thanks

Brute

Hooked
My spydura on the 9.5cti on Brute was 8 years old…just replaced it with Masterpull before the last Moab run, and needed it on Axle Hill on Pritchett…

WJCO

Meme King
So, When do you replace your synthetic winch line ? Do you wait for it to break ? or is there a timeframe they should be replaced ?

Was just looking at the Warn Spydura line to replace in kind but also looked at the new Yankum Rope winch line that has no metal ring on the end. What are you thoughts about going all synthetic ?

Thanks
See this thread: https://www.wayalife.com/threads/sy...ction-cleaning-washing-and-maintenance.49768/

There is specific criteria that Warn talks about regarding rope replacement. If you take care of it, it will last a long time.

IMG_20171111_134929_737.jpg

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
This ^^^^

I keep all my Jeeps garaged and the Viking synthetic line I had on Moby lasted for over 10 years. But, it finally broke on Axle Alley.
My Jeep is garage kept and only driven on weekends but it is getting to be over 6 years old. I guess probably start looking into a replacement before long.

TonyT

Caught the Bug

Thanks
I'll always run synthetic. It's just plain safer. I have the neoprene cover on all the time to keep it clean, and out of the sun.

Last time I tried some knock-off brand rope just out of curiosity. It was fine and a great value at 1/3 the price of name-brand rope, but I'm not exactly pulling rigs up the side of mountains either. A typical pull for us AZ guys is usually a little tug that doesn't require much effort.

Just before heading to Moab in 2019 I happened to be in 4wp and they had some Warn Spydura in stock so I grabbed it. It's really nice stuff. Next time I want their NIghtline rope. (I think that's what its called) It's the same stuff, but has a white reflective strands through it.

Previous two ropes I used had thimbles on them. I really liked those. This time around I bought one of those fancy Factor55 $300 Ultra Hooks and the damn opening is too small for the metal loop on the Warn rope, So I've just been rocking a D-Ring through it. IMG_6511.jpeg

IMG_6230.jpeg

JT@623

Hooked
I'll always run synthetic. It's just plain safer. I have the neoprene cover on all the time to keep it clean, and out of the sun.

Last time I tried some knock-off brand rope just out of curiosity. It was fine and a great value at 1/3 the price of name-brand rope, but I'm not exactly pulling rigs up the side of mountains either. A typical pull for us AZ guys is usually a little tug that doesn't require much effort.

Just before heading to Moab in 2019 I happened to be in 4wp and they had some Warn Spydura in stock so I grabbed it. It's really nice stuff. Next time I want their NIghtline rope. (I think that's what its called) It's the same stuff, but has a white reflective strands through it.

Previous two ropes I used had thimbles on them. I really liked those. This time around I bought one of those fancy Factor55 $300 Ultra Hooks and the damn opening is too small for the metal loop on the Warn rope, So I've just been rocking a D-Ring through it. View attachment 369151

View attachment 369150
If you look at the factor 55 site it says you need to press the thimble to flatten it on the warn rope and it will fit .

TonyT

Caught the Bug
If you look at the factor 55 site it says you need to press the thimble to flatten it on the warn rope and it will fit .
Yeah, I thought about that, but then I fear I'd have a really good looking hook with a galled-up loop that would be a pain in the ass getting the rope through if I had to repair the line. The hook is cool and all, but it's not worth making it fit.

Top Bottom