Sway bar question.

treys1

My last JK was not a Rubicon so I had manual disconnects and never had to ponder the following.

I know in general, sway bars should be relatively level when sitting still and flat. Mine is currently like this with the slightly extended end links that came with my 2.5" kit, but I see a lot of pics / videos where the end links are longer and the sway bar has a pretty decent angle up when the Jeep is sitting still / level.

So the question is, are people running slightly longer than you normally would on a Rubi so that you get a little more length out of the swap bar when you are electronically disco-ed? Any issues with the not ideal sway bar angle on the road when connected?

Seahawkfan

Hooked
My last JK was not a Rubicon so I had manual disconnects and never had to ponder the following.

I know in general, sway bars should be relatively level when sitting still and flat. Mine is currently like this with the slightly extended end links that came with my 2.5" kit, but I see a lot of pics / videos where the end links are longer and the sway bar has a pretty decent angle up when the Jeep is sitting still / level.

So the question is, are people running slightly longer than you normally would on a Rubi so that you get a little more length out of the swap bar when you are electronically disco-ed? Any issues with the not ideal sway bar angle on the road when connected?

From what I understand you want them slightly up or higher than level or parallel. I could be wrong.. Not sure if there is a difference between having the auto disco or not. Doubt it. Maybe take a look at this https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/43172-Front-sway-bar-angle

black pearl

Hooked
I believe that with the rubicon’s the reasoning is, that if the links are to short you run the risk of them flipping forward at full flex. This is because the links are always hooked up. When you run quick disconnects your sway bar isn’t hooked to anything, so being level isn’t as much of a issue.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

treys1

Thanks everyone, guess I need to grab some longer ones. Too bad I won't be back to the Jeep till Friday to measure what I have now... Thoughts on a good length for 2.5" lift?

black pearl

Hooked
If you are a JKUR & 2.5" lift (or close) and wouldn't mind I'd appreciate it. I won't be back to the Jeep till Friday and would like to go ahead and get something on order.

The ones on mine are about 9” as I think about it when I bought my lift, it is a 2.5”. The kit came with new rear links and the rears went on the front. I have added spacers to compensate for added weight. I sit at 3 actual inches of lift now. I still have a very slight upward angle on the sway bar. Haven’t had any issues. IMG_5044.jpg IMG_5045.JPG

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
It’s really more about down travel than lift. I’m at 2.5” ish of lift but have 4” lift shocks due to my springs and setup.

I’ve had the swaybar flip at full travel and take out the drag link before I went too longer links. I think mine are about 10” but not sure.

desertrunner

It’s really more about down travel than lift. I’m at 2.5” ish of lift but have 4” lift shocks due to my springs and setup.

I’ve had the swaybar flip at full travel and take out the drag link before I went too longer links. I think mine are about 10” but not sure.

Same set up for me evo 2" but with 4" lift rancho shocks I just drooped it out measured what I thought was reasonable and bought something close. This was the final result 20180619_213456.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

treys1

Alright, I measured my sway bar angle and it's at 4.4 degrees now (only thing I had to measure with was an RC helicopter blade pitch guage.. lol, same principle though), so I was thinking the Evo 9.5-10.9 are the ones to get. Are those bolt in or do you have to drill the holes out like some of the others?

No problem drilling, just have a few projects stacking up and I'm trying to prioritize before Jan.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ideally, you just want your links to be long enough that they don’t hyperextend at a full droop.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

treys1

Ideally, you just want your links to be long enough that they don’t hyperextend at a full droop.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Thanks. I should have added that the current links are 9" so I would thinking the Evos at 9.5" would give just a little bit more room as it's close drooped out now.

Top Bottom