Steering wheel wobble sometimes full on death wobble 19 JLUR

jeeeep

Hooked
Hey all, hope it’s ok to rez this thread, sorry if not.

I have a 2021 JLUR with a 2.5” lift and 37s and 8500 miles (3500 miles on the lift and tires). I went wheeling a couple weeks ago and dented up my stock steering stabilizer so I ordered the synergy relocation kit and the suggested Fox stabilizer (985-24-173) for the stock drag link. While waiting for the those to be delivered, my steering felt oddly normal with the slight wandering and no bump steer. After installing the new parts, I now have a shimmy in the steering wheel, a bit of bump steer, and it pulls to the left. I can feel the steering wheel move left/right at about 1/2” back n forth.

I’ve seen mention in this thread that 1) the stock stabilizer masks a bad electric steering pump and 2) Eddie mentioned that the Fox stabilizer wasn’t as good as the stock.

It’s a 2021 and with the black cast pump, not aluminum. The bushings all appear fine still which makes sense with the low miles. Could my pump be bad too? Or go back to the stock stabilizer?

Thank you!
which stabilizer did you install?

HulkSmash

Glad I came across this thread. Been chasing the wobble syndrome for a while on and off. 2.5” Metalcloak True Dual Rate with Rocksport on 35’s nothing really crazy all installed at 10k. After about 5-6 outings and 7k miles latter I was starting to get a wobble. Took it to dealership and they replaced the steering box from aluminum to the steel one along with the drag link and at the pitman are that was showing signs of wear. Couple more runs and at 19-20k the wobble came back. Started checking joints on steering along with track bar. Metalcloak track bar was great. The tie rod ends were starting to pop along with the drag link ends. Pulled the trigger on Synergy drag link and tie rod along Teraflex adjustable through steering stabilizer and relocation bracket. I also checked ball joints however, didn’t see any movement. Curiosity got the better of me so I decided to pull the knuckles and see if there was anything I missed on the ball joints. Needless to say they were like limp noodles flopping around and very crunchy. So I pulled the trigger on Dynatrac HD ball joints. All back together and absolutely amazing for now. Steering is tight and with the stabilizer on soft the feed back is almost like there is no stabilizer on it. I run the stabilizer set to medium because I don’t like all the feed back in the steering wheel especially when I’m used to driving a 96 F250 with sloppy steering. Sawing a tight steering wheel is not a good thing. Hopefully I got this wobble issue sorted out but now I’m wondering if this is going to be an ongoing issue. Might have to drive out and see the guys at PSC.

Top Bottom