Start at a new job tomorrow....

kevman65

Hooked
Let me clarify, I'm not going to work FOR the plant, I'll be working for a contractor that is upgrading/upsizing the piping systems in the plant.

With the amount of work I hear is going on, they may not even be running any production lines.

JKbrick

Let me clarify, I'm not going to work FOR the plant, I'll be working for a contractor that is upgrading/upsizing the piping systems in the plant.

With the amount of work I hear is going on, they may not even be running any production lines.
Pipe fitter?

Primo82

Caught the Bug

If you're a pipe fitter up there you probably know my little brother. He works at Steel Dynamics west of Ft Wayne. Congrats on the long term job!

kevman65

Hooked
Uneventful first day. Site safety orientation, contractor safety orientation, paperwork to fill out, wait on someone to come get me, go to a general work area and stand around and wait for foreman, get general description of work going on, find tools, find material, get lost, find way back, get lost again.

This plant was known as ITP 2 (Indiana Transmission Plant 2) which I was on new out of the ground. They (FCA) shut the plant down, removed all tooling for transmission assembly, basically gutted the plant from floor to about 15' up.

The plant is now known as KEP 1 (Kokomo Engine Plant 1)

FCA's name is still up in lots of places, hell it still says Chrysler in a few places.

New machinery is being set, block machines, head machines are what I have seen so far. They look like multi-plane multi-axis cleaning/deburring machines. The utility piping going to/from these machines are coolant water, compressed air, pumped industrial waste (think coolant and metal shavings), control air. They are self contained with hydraulic fluid, storage, piping, high pressure hoses.

If I can get some pics without getting fired I'll post them up. Looks long term, from what I see right now probably 18-24 months before test runs.

Top Bottom