Spare Tire

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
Ok guys does the Gladiator’s spare tire have a TPMS sensor. My local Discount Tire told me it doesn’t. If it doesn’t what is everyone doing with their spare tire. They said they didn’t know if it would mess with the rest of the sensors having the spare tire in the bed of the truck with a sensor.

All Gladiators have a steelie spare and do not come with TPMS sensors from factory. Let's say you installed the spare after you punctured a tire, the TPMS light will flash (indicates a sensor fault) and will not read the pressure of whatever tire the spare replaced. (Will read as a dotted line or 0) The Jeep (and all FCA products) have an auto relearn system which picks up the sensors location and recorded air pressure as you drive. If you were to install a sensor in the spare, the Jeep won't pick up an extra sensor but may rather mistake it for one already on the Jeep since the signal of the newer sensor may be stronger since it's newer - or maybe it will read it fine. Shouldn't be much of a concern if you need to install your spare anyway, really just an outstanding emergency situation. The JL Wrangler and even the JK before it have sensors in the spares and can detect when and what sensor is in each spot on the Jeep (doesn't track whichever one is in spare position) so the JT may or not be programmed to do so and I'm willing to bet it doesn't given that you don't get one from factory. Personally, I'd leave the spare alone and check it the old school way every once in a while like it was done for a century - with a gauge. I even shut off my whole TPMS system. Not a fan of computers for everything I just said.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
All Gladiators have a steelie spare and do not come with TPMS sensors from factory. Let's say you installed the spare after you punctured a tire, the TPMS light will flash (indicates a sensor fault) and will not read the pressure of whatever tire the spare replaced. (Will read as a dotted line or 0) The Jeep (and all FCA products) have an auto relearn system which picks up the sensors location and recorded air pressure as you drive. If you were to install a sensor in the spare, the Jeep won't pick up an extra sensor but may rather mistake it for one already on the Jeep since the signal of the newer sensor may be stronger since it's newer - or maybe it will read it fine. Shouldn't be much of a concern if you need to install your spare anyway, really just an outstanding emergency situation. The JL Wrangler and even the JK before it have sensors in the spares and can detect when and what sensor is in each spot on the Jeep (doesn't track whichever one is in spare position) so the JT may or not be programmed to do so and I'm willing to bet it doesn't given that you don't get one from factory. Personally, I'd leave the spare alone and check it the old school way every once in a while like it was done for a century - with a gauge. I even shut off my whole TPMS system. Not a fan of computers for everything I just said.
Thanks for the great info!

Moriarty

Here's my experience.
We ordered our 2020 JTR from Kent in Idaho. We added 5ea AEV rims with 37" Nitto's and TPMS sensors. Drove home on the 37's (no lift). For three years I ran the factory 33's for daily driving and switched to 37's for trail runs. Jeep auto sensed the different set after a couple miles. We never used the factory (steel) spare in the three years.

December 3rd we purchased a second Gladiator, a 2022 Willys edition. We have been doing a 5 tire rotation on the new one. The spares do not have a TPMS unit in them. On the dash it shows as a simple red - - in the display.

Also a side note: According to Mopar parts a build date of 6/17/2021 a different sensor is used. I will have to report back in a month when I use the 2020 Falkin muds from Rubi on Willy, there's about 5-8k of tread left.

That was a little long winded, any questions please ask.

Safe travels.

kevman65

Hooked
Nope, no TPMS in the steelie, yup it will register as a blank once it's in a read position on the JT, nope the spare position is not read on a JT, yup if you buy a matching fifth wheel and tire to match the rest and put the correct TPMS sensor for your JT it will read when mounted on one of the corners and still not read while in the spare position.

Post mid 2021 JT's will NOT function with pre mid 2021 TPMS sensors.

Last time I checked, MOPAR TPMS sensors were on National back order.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
See that’s what I was wanting to do, was a five tire rotation and put a TPMS in the spare so when I do add it to the vehicle, it will register

tysonjeepjt

No TPMS in the spare. If you install a spare with a TPMS, the Jeep won't pick it up. I have a matching 37" spare with a TPMS and the jeep doesn't recognize it. Mostly because the tire isn't rotating.

TigerInFl

Nope it won't have one unless you or someone else added it. Discount Tire guy wanted to argue with me that it did have one. He crawled under there with his little machine and what do you know? It didn't have one ..lol..

It has one now since I am doing the five tire rotation.

Top Bottom