Snapped body mount bolt JL

bkac

Caught the Bug
Snapped a body mount bolt lol

So I had a great idea to lift the body up a bit to weld in my EVO long arm brackets, it made it easier to weld across the top of them. I have taken out a lot of body mount bolts on JL/JTs the last few years and never any issues. Well that changed when I finally had one break on my rig. I ordered a new bolt so I figured I’d tackle replacing it. I found out the 2 bolts behind the front wheels have red locktite on them from the factory and the rest have blue. I have no idea why they did this. It’s recommended to heat the bolts with the red locktite before removing them.
I ended up jacking up the body high enough to pull the body mount out and noticed I had about 1/4” of the bolt showing. I decided to heat the bolt for about 10 minutes then used some pillars and it back right out. I was shocked and very happy at the same time. The entire job took less then 45 minutes to complete. I snapped a few photos along the way. I guess my reason to post is to warn others and share my fix. I felt the bolt get tight and tried to start working it easily back and forth and then snap! Mine was the the bolt right behind the front tire so every time I hit a bump I felt it under my feet. I couldn’t take it anymore.

IMG_4859.jpg

Heating it with a propane torch
IMG_4860.jpg

Once it was hot enough it backed right out with the pillars
IMG_4861.jpg

And just like that, the broken bolt was extracted, lots of smiles and no drilling! Success
IMG_4862.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for showing this. I've heard of it happening. When we put sliders on ours, I was worried it would happen but got lucky.

When it comes to the body mount bolts I’d recommend heating all of them. No need for glowing red or an oxy acety but a little blue propane torch gives you a significant piece of mind. Looks like you got super lucky it wasn’t broken flush, good save.

Elroy231

So I had a great idea to lift the body up a bit to weld in my EVO long arm brackets, it made it easier to weld across the top of them. I have taken out a lot of body mount bolts on JL/JTs the last few years and never any issues. Well that changed when I finally had one break on my rig. I ordered a new bolt so I figured I’d tackle replacing it. I found out the 2 bolts behind the front wheels have red locktite on them from the factory and the rest have blue. I have no idea why they did this. It’s recommended to heat the bolts with the red locktite before removing them.
I ended up jacking up the body high enough to pull the body mount out and noticed I had about 1/4” of the bolt showing. I decided to heat the bolt for about 10 minutes then used some pillars and it back right out. I was shocked and very happy at the same time. The entire job took less then 45 minutes to complete. I snapped a few photos along the way. I guess my reason to post is to warn others and share my fix. I felt the bolt get tight and tried to start working it easily back and forth and then snap! Mine was the the bolt right behind the front tire so every time I hit a bump I felt it under my feet. I couldn’t take it anymore.

View attachment 359806

View attachment 359807

View attachment 359808

And just like that, the broken bolt was extracted, lots of smiles and no drilling! Success
View attachment 359809

Good save. That could have been so much more difficult. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

bkac

Caught the Bug
Thanks for showing this. I've heard of it happening. When we put sliders on ours, I was worried it would happen but got lucky.
I did get lucky!

When it comes to the body mount bolts I’d recommend heating all of them. No need for glowing red or an oxy acety but a little blue propane torch gives you a significant piece of mind. Looks like you got super lucky it wasn’t broken flush, good save.

I agree with this. That will be my new norm

Glad it was an easy fix. Thanks for posting that up for the rest of us

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Just hoping I can prevent this from happening to someone else!

Good save. That could have been so much more difficult. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I was not looking forward to the fix, turned out to be super easy. [emoji1360]

MericaMade

Nice write up. This happened on the TheMistress JL when we were putting on the EVO bolt on sliders too. The bolt snapped as we were backing it out. I spent about an hour drilling the bolt out then just proceeded to impact the new one in its place. It held just fine till the day it was unfortunately crushed.

Sent from my SM-G996U using WAYALIFE mobile app

bkac

Caught the Bug
Nice write up. This happened on the TheMistress JL when we were putting on the EVO bolt on sliders too. The bolt snapped as we were backing it out. I spent about an hour drilling the bolt out then just proceeded to impact the new one in its place. It held just fine till the day it was unfortunately crushed.

Definitely not a fun thing to hear when the bolt snaps. I couldn’t imagine drilling it out. That was my next option.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I’m fairly certain I would’ve shit a chicken if this happened to me. Thanks for posting this up and how you got through it. I’m glad this didn’t happen when I put on my evo bombers.

CalSgt

Hooked
Thanks for sharing this... I've had all of mine out at one time or another and was always fearful of this exact thing happening.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I’m fairly certain I would’ve shit a chicken if this happened to me. Thanks for posting this up and how you got through it. I’m glad this didn’t happen when I put on my evo bombers.

When it happened I was like oh boy that’s gonna suck, so glad it didn’t.

Thanks for sharing this... I've had all of mine out at one time or another and was always fearful of this exact thing happening.

Lesson I learned of it gets tight use heat! Honestly use heat either way. :)

Jims18roo

View attachment 359806

View attachment 359807

View attachment 359808

View attachment 359809

Late to this post but have read that some body bolts were over torqued when built. Some break off higher than yours did and have to cut into the body from the wheel to remove and then patch. Heard to avoid using an impact on them as they can break. My fronts were the hardest bolt I have ever removed from a jeep and I had them in the 80s. I cant believe they didnt break. I refused to use thread lock on the re install. I check em every few
Months Heat was smart.

It was so cross threaded in there that it still held!

Top Bottom