Skid Plates

My memory was that Moby ran Milestar on a JK Experience run back east where the rocks are wet, slippery, and mossy. There was a lot of "skidding" going on compared to the other Jeeps running the tires Eddy normally uses so he concluded that they were poor for that application. I am getting old so I could be wrong but that is what I remember. 😃

My memory was that Moby ran Milestar on a JK Experience run back east where the rocks are wet, slippery, and mossy. There was a lot of "skidding" going on compared to the other Jeeps running the tires Eddy normally uses so he concluded that they were poor for that application. I am getting old so I could be wrong but that is what I remember. 😃
Your memory is fucked for sure then or, like I said you are just trying to start shit. Moby has never ever ran that trash. Coopers, Nittos and Toyos is pretty much it. Now if you’re referring to the 2019 JL/JTX where skyjacker was slipping and sliding all over like it’s trying to run on a pile of frozen puppy shit then yes, that particular jeep was on milestars. Eddie has never ran that garbage on any of his rigs.

On top of that the JKX has never been sponsored by that company in the history of ever. Aside from one year way back when the event was first getting going, (which was sponsored in part by Falken tire) it has always been a Nitto sponsored event.

And considering Milestar just barely announced they’d be offering a 42’ only a few weeks ago further indicates your memory “isn’t what it used to be”

I’m going with the “you’re just trying to start shit” door in which case, walk back through it and don’t let it hit you on the way out.

Last edited:
Seriously? Lol. Now all the 'cool' kids will be showing off even bigger pieces of shit.
Fuck! I know it. Hopefully the backorder crisis will hit them too so that next years EJS isn’t a constant rave of “watch how amazing these new 42’ milestars are in a place where an ice-cube can find traction”

Your memory is fucked for sure then or, like I said you are just trying to start shit. Moby has never ever ran that trash. Coopers, Nittos and Toyos is pretty much it. Now if you’re referring to the 2019 JL/JTX where skyjacker was slipping and sliding all over like it’s trying to run on a pile of frozen puppy shit then yes, that particular jeep was on milestars. Eddie has never ran that garbage on any of his rigs.

And considering Milestar just barely announced they’d be offering a 42’ only a few weeks ago further indicates your memory “isn’t what it used to be”

I’m going with the “you’re just trying to start shit” door in which case, walk back through it and don’t let it hit you on the way out.
Ok, my memory is fading and only partially correct. Moby's history of purity is preserved. 😃

Have some pity for my aging brain (only partially correct) and I would appreciate assistance so I can retire early and have much more time for running the "senior" trails where 42" tires and total metal cladding is not required underneath in order to have some fun.

When there is an opinion related to Jeeps, I will bow to Eddy's educated opinion. It makes sense that metal cladding can be bad since it makes it difficult to see when something is going wrong, and much more difficult to get access if it does.

I was reading recently about it taking 10 hours to install a skid plate system. Something seems wrong with that.

4PLAY

On my 20 Rubi 2-door (Rubi 2-door...that just sounds cool!) I use EVO engine/trans, NextVenture rear diff, Rancho rear LCA skids and Rock Hard Patriot Angled-up sliders. No complaints!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Wanna bump this thread.

looking for opinions on an oil pan skid to add to my 3.6 jlu. What are you running? Pros and cons. Ease of install and any of the options provided a “easy access hole” for oil changes? Trying to do research before I grab one

RCC

I had a MORE on my gladiator. Will see if it can me modded to work with the 6.4.

C4829D8F-5AF5-4637-94B3-206C9B78B346.jpeg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Never ran skids I know a lot do but for me it’s just one more way to trap heat and add weight .
Yup, couldn't agree more. We did run an oil pan skid on JET but more because of the trans cooler lines than anything. In hindsight, I kind of think it was totally unnecessary. To this day, Moby still doesn't have aftermarket skids nor does our Gladiator or Pippi. Granted, they're all just mall crawlers.

JT@623

Hooked
Yup, couldn't agree more. We did run an oil pan skid on JET but more because of the trans cooler lines than anything. In hindsight, I kind of think it was totally unnecessary. To this day, Moby still doesn't have aftermarket skids nor does our Gladiator or Pippi. Granted, they're all just mall crawlers.
Hey those curbs can be a real bitch 🤣

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yea was kinda thinking of getting just an oil pan skid cause I’m keeping lift height low and it’s an auto. I’m sure I would be fine tho.

jesse3638

Hooked
Wanted to revive this thread. I can say I have not crawled under my wife's JL to see what if anything is vulnerable. I was looking into skid plates as I did install the EVO Protek oil and trans skid on my JK. They are as scratch free and the day I installed them...haha. Granted I wouldn't say I wheel hard. Was just wondering if anything is recommended for the JL. I was looking at installing the EVO Protek engine and trans skid but wasn't sure. Is the FAD vulnerable and in need of protection? I was most likely going to do a glide plate on the front diff too. Not going full belly skid or anything crazy. Just looking to protect anything that's susceptible to damage. Thanks for the help

Last edited:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I just bought the Artec aluminum skid plate kit for the JL. Sound that maybe it’s more than I really needed. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m probably 1.5 weeks from being ready to mount them. I’ll throw some pics when it gets to that point.

CalSgt

Hooked
Wanted to revive this thread. I can say I have not crawled under my wife's JL to see what if anything is vulnerable. I was looking into skid plates as I did install the EVO Protek oil and trans skid on my JK. They are as scratch free and the day I installed them...haha. Granted I wouldn't say I wheel hard. Was just wondering if anything is recommended for the JL. I was looking at installing the EVO Protek engine and trans skid but wasn't sure. Is the FAD vulnerable and in need of protection? I was most likely going to do a glide plate on the front diff too. Not going full belly skid or anything crazy. Just looking to protect anything that's susceptible to damage. Thanks for the help
I have the EVO protek engine/trans skid and have tagged it a few times, when I removed it it do my long arm suspension it had to be straightened before putting it back in. I think I did most of the damage to it when I only had 2" of lift.

I've managed to survive without diff skids. The front diff seems to be actually tougher than the rear, the bottom of it is cast a lot heavier. I've never had any issues with the drain plug getting damaged but I do keep an eye on it. The rear diff is cast with a ridge or lip on the bottom that the cover mounts to & seems like a weak point but It has not broken yet.

If I had it to do over I would probably have done some of the skids that go on the lower control arm & shock mounts in the rear. Mine were pretty chewed up by the time I cut them off to switch to coilovers.

jesse3638

Hooked
I have the EVO protek engine/trans skid and have tagged it a few times, when I removed it it do my long arm suspension it had to be straightened before putting it back in. I think I did most of the damage to it when I only had 2" of lift.

I've managed to survive without diff skids. The front diff seems to be actually tougher than the rear, the bottom of it is cast a lot heavier. I've never had any issues with the drain plug getting damaged but I do keep an eye on it. The rear diff is cast with a ridge or lip on the bottom that the cover mounts to & seems like a weak point but It has not broken yet.

If I had it to do over I would probably have done some of the skids that go on the lower control arm & shock mounts in the rear. Mine were pretty chewed up by the time I cut them off to switch to coilovers.
Thanks for the input. Yeah I hear you on the control arm and shock mounts. My rears on my JK are all bent and is what's kept me from installing the rockstars I've had sitting in my garage for a few years. It's going to be a PIA getting them straight before I can get them on.

Top Bottom