SKID PLATE

1tmjpr

Since i finally have my rig up, and going like i want it. What actually is the best undercarriage plate there is. I've looked at metalcloak, asfir 4x4, and many others. Which ones have really stood out, and held up. Any input would be great. My rig is a jlur ecodiesel. Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
FACTORY - there is ZERO need to replace what comes on your Jeep. At most, adding something to protect the cooler lines on your automatic transmission is about the only thing that might be a benefit but that's about it. Aftermarket skids add weight, trap heat and make it extremely difficult to work/service your Jeep especially when the bolt heads get jacked up.

1tmjpr

FACTORY - there is ZERO need to replace what comes on your Jeep. At most, adding something to protect the cooler lines on your automatic transmission is about the only thing that might be a benefit but that's about it. Aftermarket skids add weight, trap heat and make it extremely difficult to work/service your Jeep especially when the bolt heads get jacked up.

Thanks Eddie, for response. That does make a lot of sense. Just wasn't sure since being a newbie.

Last edited by a moderator:

JT@623

Hooked
I second this no after market skids on either of mine

jamesrw30

That's interesting to hear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a plate to protect the trans lines?
Typically, it'd be what most manufacturers call an engine skid. It'll protect everything from the oil pan back to the cross member. I should note, this is totally unnecessary on a manual and while I have run one in the past on our first JL and even on one of our JK's, I do not run one on any of our current Jeeps. While I have seen one instance where a renegade fallen tree branch rip out the cooler lines after being driven on, the driver was new to off roading and the problem could have easily been avoided. Picking good lines and or using a spotter WILL go a long way in keeping your Jeep in once piece.

Top Bottom