Show Off Your Guns!

Nice I’m not too surprised since it is more geared towards fast competition style shooting. Seems like it is well balanced, as for maintenance just guessing but since it seems like it uses a lot more precision parts. Does it require more frequent cleaning vs a normal 1911.
Not in my experience. I ordered mine setup for duty/carry so the tolerances are “slightly” looser but still extremely tight. So far I’ve got a little over 10k through it and I’ve had to replace the hammer spring and guide rod spring twice which is a fairly normal interval for a 1911/2011. Outside of that it’s flawless. Mags can be bitchy so gotta keep debris out of them.

Lperdue

Not in my experience. I ordered mine setup for duty/carry so the tolerances are “slightly” looser but still extremely tight. So far I’ve got a little over 10k through it and I’ve had to replace the hammer spring and guide rod spring twice which is a fairly normal interval for a 1911/2011. Outside of that it’s flawless. Mags can be bitchy so gotta keep debris out of them.
I didn't realize they made a duty/carry version of the 2011. I may start looking into getting one now. But sadly now I'm stuck with the issue of too many hobbies and not enough money :ROFLMAO:. Guess I'll finish up the jeeps first.

I didn't realize they made a duty/carry version of the 2011. I may start looking into getting one now. But sadly now I'm stuck with the issue of too many hobbies and not enough money :ROFLMAO:. Guess I'll finish up the jeeps first.
Oh man don’t I know. To be fair, my 2011 was given to me for teaching a class and I had the choice to have whatever I wanted. But most 2011’s are geared toward completion. I just knew I’d be teaching and carrying mine so I wanted it to be setup for that. It has a heavier trigger and slightly loader tolerances than their standard product line up.

Lperdue

Oh man don’t I know. To be fair, my 2011 was given to me for teaching a class and I had the choice to have whatever I wanted. But most 2011’s are geared toward completion. I just knew I’d be teaching and carrying mine so I wanted it to be setup for that. It has a heavier trigger and slightly loader tolerances than their standard product line up.
I'll do some research to find out if its possible to do a similar build in the future even if it means changing out parts over time.

Lperdue

It 100% is. Just order it the way you want it. Staccato and Triarc will build it exactly how you want it as they both offer a duty/carry option
Thanks, I'll look at their websites to price a few things out. Quick question for Jaela what would you recommend CCW wise for her?

sm31

Just wanted to post a short review of this weird little project I recently put together.

Last year I bought a Remington 783 in 6.5CM for my wife (hence the brake) to provide her a relatively inexpensive foray into the world of long range shooting. What was intended to be "bargain" build is quickly becoming one of my favorite guns in the house.

For one thing, that cheap little 783 is stupid accurate. More accurate than my shooting & reloading skills for sure... I really didn't expect that but lately I'm seeing a few posts on other forums indicating similar results from this $350 gun. And, the bolt isn't amazing but it's smooth enough for me not to notice or care. Even the funky little trigger safety doesn't bother me the way I thought it might.

The tupperware stock is trash though, so I thought I'd try the relatively cheap ($400) Oryx chassis... I'm super impressed with it. Wanted a chassis that would work well shooting steel but could also work well in wet/dirty hunting conditions. It's *very* stout... in fact, weight might be the only potential complaint I have because it's not the lightest chassis for sure. However, the weight helps reduce the recoil for my wife so I'm good with it.
Even the inexpensive Riton scope has been a pleasant surprise.

At this point I think I have about $1000 into the whole thing but the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Plan to throw a Harris bipod on there and call it done this spring... And I like that Oryx chassis so much that I'm going to get another one for my .300WM (Remington 700LR).

Attachments

• 20210620_121913.jpg
    20210620_121913.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 6

CalSgt

Hooked
Thanks, I'll look at their websites to price a few things out. Quick question for Jaela what would you recommend CCW wise for her?

For ladies that are gun savvy I've been recommending the Glock 48 and 43X, if I get the vibe they need simplicity I recommend a Ruger LCR in 9mm

Lila carry’s a Glock 43X. Great little gun cuz she isn’t supposed to carry at work but she’s able to tuck into an ankle holster or a belly band style.
Sig P365 comes to mind. Skip the Springfield Hellcat. If she isn’t worried about having to conceal a larger gun there are more options. Glock 19. CZ P10-C etc. I’d have her handle a few and see which ones feel good in her hands and which ones she can reach all the controls on the best. After that it’s just a matter of some training and picking out a carry system.

sm31

Reached out and touched 600 yesterday. Long Range is new to me and I have a lot to learn.. but the cost of Ammo is f’n ridiculous.

View attachment 369365
Awesome! I started reloading about 2 years ago just for that reason. Lucked out and got set up right as the plandemic was starting. Not sure about prices now but breakeven is definitely quick if you're working with any of the magnums, and even 6.5CM.

I was an "all around" gun guy for a long time but I have to admit... the long range thing has me totally geeked. :) I've totally left off everything else!

TrailHunter

Hooked
Just wanted to post a short review of this weird little project I recently put together.

Last year I bought a Remington 783 in 6.5CM for my wife (hence the brake) to provide her a relatively inexpensive foray into the world of long range shooting. What was intended to be "bargain" build is quickly becoming one of my favorite guns in the house.

For one thing, that cheap little 783 is stupid accurate. More accurate than my shooting & reloading skills for sure... I really didn't expect that but lately I'm seeing a few posts on other forums indicating similar results from this $350 gun. And, the bolt isn't amazing but it's smooth enough for me not to notice or care. Even the funky little trigger safety doesn't bother me the way I thought it might.

The tupperware stock is trash though, so I thought I'd try the relatively cheap ($400) Oryx chassis... I'm super impressed with it. Wanted a chassis that would work well shooting steel but could also work well in wet/dirty hunting conditions. It's *very* stout... in fact, weight might be the only potential complaint I have because it's not the lightest chassis for sure. However, the weight helps reduce the recoil for my wife so I'm good with it.
Even the inexpensive Riton scope has been a pleasant surprise.

At this point I think I have about $1000 into the whole thing but the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Plan to throw a Harris bipod on there and call it done this spring... And I like that Oryx chassis so much that I'm going to get another one for my .300WM (Remington 700LR).

Awesome! I started reloading about 2 years ago just for that reason. Lucked out and got set up right as the plandemic was starting. Not sure about prices now but breakeven is definitely quick if you're working with any of the magnums, and even 6.5CM.

I was an "all around" gun guy for a long time but I have to admit... the long range thing has me totally geeked. :) I've totally left off everything else!
Very Cool! Yeah, I’m hooked. I’m gonna go with a .308 build next.. I just can’t get 6.5 where I am and I think the .308 will be cheaper to shoot, and create more of a learning experience with elevation & windage etc. I’m leaning towards a Bergara or possibly a chassis setup but not sure yet... I’d like to be able to swap barrels easy... get decent MOA and not break the bank. Finding what I want is half the fun, so I’m in no rush.

Lperdue

Lila carry’s a Glock 43X. Great little gun cuz she isn’t supposed to carry at work but she’s able to tuck into an ankle holster or a belly band style.
Sig P365 comes to mind. Skip the Springfield Hellcat. If she isn’t worried about having to conceal a larger gun there are more options. Glock 19. CZ P10-C etc. I’d have her handle a few and see which ones feel good in her hands and which ones she can reach all the controls on the best. After that it’s just a matter of some training and picking out a carry system.
Thanks for the advice we’ll definitely let you know when we are in the market to buy her one. Plus send her out to one of your classes 😁

TrailHunter

Hooked
My wife is on the small side and she is very happy shooting the G19...so she bought her own. I really want the 43 but it's a no go in Cali... but really the G19 is such a great option. Even for the ladies.... a gun too small just adds more recoil that they may find uncomfortable... or sacrifice accuracy. She didn't like shooting my G26 for that reason... Just my opinion though. Gun choice is very subjective... gotta hold it and shoot it.

sm31

Very Cool! Yeah, I’m hooked. I’m gonna go with a .308 build next.. I just can’t get 6.5 where I am and I think the .308 will be cheaper to shoot, and create more of a learning experience with elevation & windage etc. I’m leaning towards a Bergara or possibly a chassis setup but not sure yet... I’d like to be able to swap barrels easy... get decent MOA and not break the bank. Finding what I want is half the fun, so I’m in no rush.

.308 is a great choice! Seems like the only ammo at a halfway reasonable price point these days. IMO the 6.5CM has never been reasonable... even before things went haywire. I went that route because I liked the lighter recoil & ballistics at 1k yards. I'm not sure if it was the right choice though. But, I'm on 100% reloads for that gun so at least it isn't too expensive to shoot.

Sounds like you're in the same part of the process I am. I'm definitely at the steep (fun?) part of the learning curve!

My wife is on the small side and she is very happy shooting the G19...so she bought her own. I really want the 43 but it's a no go in Cali... but really the G19 is such a great option. Even for the ladies.... a gun too small just adds more recoil that they may find uncomfortable... or sacrifice accuracy. She didn't like shooting my G26 for that reason... Just my opinion though. Gun choice is very subjective... gotta hold it and shoot it.
Well said. The smaller guns are really snappy and can be just plain nasty to shoot. People think “oh small gun or small caliber (.380) it’s gotta be easier to shoot” and nothing can be further from the truth.

My philosophy is pick a gun that you can manipulate well and that’s big enough to fight with then learn to conceal it. NOT the other way around. Getting into a gunfight with a small and limited capacity gun fuuuuucking sucks.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You’ll buy 6.5 shortly after. .308 is fun I’ve been out to 1000 with mine but 6.5 is more funner. But then you start buying spotting scopes and all that jazz.

TrailHunter

Hooked
You’ll buy 6.5 shortly after. .308 is fun I’ve been out to 1000 with mine but 6.5 is more funner. But then you start buying spotting scopes and all that jazz.
For sure! I have a 2-12x for the AR... but will get a 4-24 or 5-25x for the new rifle... only problem right now is I generally can’t find 6.5 near me... and when it pops up it’s way too expensive... but yes, I’ll have a 6.5 eventually. 😬

Top Bottom