Shocks

GP NOIR

Hooked
I have a 2 door 2012 Wrangler Rubicon with manual transmission daily driver that's gonna need shocks in the near future. The old shocks aren't completely gone, but they are fading. I don't know what I've got as the the previous owner slathered them with black undercoat. Suspension height is 3.75 inches taller than the factory non-Rubicon specs and she sits on LT315/70R17 KM03 tires. No aftermarket bumpers, no winches although I plan to add both as the budget allows. No roof racks.

In addition to being my daily driver, I take take her off-road. She's a General Purpose Jeep being used for a variety of terrain- Rock crawling, fireroading, exploration, mud, sand, snow, hills, camping etc. I'm not ready for rock buggy obstacles, but I'm not afraid to lock her up and take challenging trails.

What's a good performing shock? Is there a shock that'll soak up the whoops without changing the suspension? Major suspension mods are simply not in the budget right now.

I'm not certain what my budget is. What I'm trying to figure out is what level of performance costs what and whether or not I can step up to what I'm looking (hoping?) for.

Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Post up a pic of what you have now and I bet we could give you a good guess as to what you're running now. Also, I have to say that you're wanting a lot out of shock and it should be noted that a lot of your overall ride quality will come from how much air you're running in your tires as well as the springs you're riding on.

That said, any hydraulic shock will fade faster than a monotube with a lot of fast hard driving across the desert. Although, it will be more comfortable for daily driving. Nothing short of coilovers will takin on whoops very well. Guess the real question is, how much are you hoping to spend?

GP NOIR

Hooked
Post up a pic of what you have now and I bet we could give you a good guess as to what you're running now.
Left Front shock & coil spring. Bumpstop fell out on the last trail run. I have replacements for all four. LF.jpg

Left rear
LR.jpg

Right Rear- Better view of the rear coil spring.
RR.jpg

Also, I have to say that you're wanting a lot out of shock
I figured as much. It's been awhile since I looked into the details of the suspension & steering. I feel like I'm playing catch-up while dusting off memories that are years out of date.

and it should be noted that a lot of your overall ride quality will come from how much air you're running in your tires as well as the springs you're riding on.
Yes. I usually air down on trails and it as you say, it makes a difference.

That said, any hydraulic shock will fade faster than a monotube with a lot of fast hard driving across the desert. Although, it will be more comfortable for daily driving. Nothing short of coilovers will takin on whoops very well. Guess the real question is, how much are you hoping to spend?
I'm not a fan of hydraulic shocks. Not only do they fade quick, in my experience, they also die quick- even on a street only vehicle.

Let's look at three budget levels out the door. $500. $1000. $1500. What does each get me get me and what can I expect? I'm not looking for a Boatillac ride on the street.

(I'm not sure these are good price points, but I've got to give you a place to start. Basically, the more I spend on shocks, the longer it'll take me to get a winch & bumpers. I'm ok with that.)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, looking at the pics, it looks to me like you have some kind of monotube shock now. If I could guess, they kind of look like ProComps. Have you tried removing them and cycling them by hand to see how they feel?

The tough thing about buying shocks is that, contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, they aren't always a one size fits all kind of thing. Just because some cool name brand is all the talk on social media doesn't mean you'll like the ride they provide. Again, spring rate makes a big difference and depending on what you get, you may find the two aren't exactly a good match. As I always like to say, ride quality is 100% subjective and for me, I find that most coils out there tend to be on the firm side. This is done to provide lift and without bowing and to help carry more weight, especially since "overlanding" is such a thing now. Unfortunately, that can cause to a very firm ride and really, some people like that. I do not. Point being, whatever you're feeling now may not be fixed with even the most expensive shocks money can buy.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming you're happy with your springs, you can buy really nice shocks with the budget you have listed out. Hard to go wrong with something like Fox and on the high end, you can even afford a set of Kings. The thing you need to be aware of is that really really good shocks also need to be rebuilt and serviced on a regular basis and that is something you should factor into the cost. Hydros wear out fast but they can also just be thrown away when done and replaced for cheap.

kevman65

Hooked
It would be nice to know the spring rate of each coil spring. With that information if you wanted to really dial the ride in they can "tune" your shocks for not only compression and rebound but to suit the coil springs.

But that gets a little more involved and of course cost more $$

GP NOIR

Hooked
Okay, looking at the pics, it looks to me like you have some kind of monotube shock now. If I could guess, they kind of look like ProComps. Have you tried removing them and cycling them by hand to see how they feel?
I have not.

Point being, whatever you're feeling now may not be fixed with even the most expensive shocks money can buy.
Good point. My greatest complaints are the Jeep has started to bounce over dips & bumps on the road and the rear shocks are showing a bit of dampness around the shaft seal.

Assuming you're happy with your springs, you can buy really nice shocks with the budget you have listed out. Hard to go wrong with something like Fox and on the high end, you can even afford a set of Kings.
I'm leaning toward the Fox 2.0 shocks. Their engineering philosophy seems solid. Is it worth considering the remote version Fox makes for Terraflex?

I'll take a look at the Kings. They're new to me.

The thing you need to be aware of is that really really good shocks also need to be rebuilt and serviced on a regular basis and that is something you should factor into the cost.
Thanks for the tip.

What I know is some years out of date, but I thought only high performance racing shocks could be rebuilt.

I do hear your warning that it's possible shocks alone won't give me the ride I'm hoping for, that I might need to adjust my budget/expectations. That's why I love my Jeep. It's not only the destination, it's the journey as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Fox is definitely something I would say is worth giving a try. TeraFlex, not even close.

I should note, both are still what I would consider to be throw-away shocks. Fox does make higher end stuff but their 2.0s, good shocks mind you, are still on the consumer end of things.

CalSgt

Hooked
Assuming you're happy with your springs, you can buy really nice shocks with the budget you have listed out. Hard to go wrong with something like Fox and on the high end, you can even afford a set of Kings. The thing you need to be aware of is that really really good shocks also need to be rebuilt and serviced on a regular basis and that is something you should factor into the cost. Hydros wear out fast but they can also just be thrown away when done and replaced for cheap.
This^^^ For what it costs to service the high end King or Fox shocks you could buy a set of Bilstein 5100's or Rancho 9000's every other year. Or in my case constantly buy one new shock to replace a damaged one. In the two years I ran the Rancho 5000's (that I won on a contest here on Wayalife.com) I replaced each of them at least once due to trail damage, at least they are only about $60 each.

onlyone

I third the Ranchos. After running the fox 2.0 in my other 4 door and the Mopar foxes on my 2 door, these Rancho 9000Xls are definitely a better ride because of the adjustability. I think the fox is a great choice but for ride quality you seem to be looking for, you can beat Rancho.

Zeus

I just did the Fox 2.0 Adjustables last week and boy what an upgarde from the Billstein 5100's, I know you cannot compare the 2.
Driving on setting 3 front and 2 rear and what an awesome ride

Attachments

• IMG_2058.jpeg
    IMG_2058.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2057.jpeg
    IMG_2057.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 14

GP NOIR

Hooked
I just got back from vacation that took me and my Jeep from Utah to Kansas to Ouray Colorado and Moab Utah before heading home, to run a few trails with my brothers. Somewhere between Kansas and Colorado, the shocks gave up the ghost and went from weeping to leaking. Remote reservoir shocks just aren’t in the budget right now, so in the interim, I ordered a set of Rancho RS7MTs . I’ll use them until I can afford the shocks I want. After I get them installed and run them on the street & trail for a bit, I’ll post my impressions.

sm31

Another vote for the Rancho 9000XL's. Had them 3 years+ and they're still doing great.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I just got back from vacation that took me and my Jeep from Utah to Kansas to Ouray Colorado and Moab Utah before heading home, to run a few trails with my brothers. Somewhere between Kansas and Colorado, the shocks gave up the ghost and went from weeping to leaking. Remote reservoir shocks just aren’t in the budget right now, so in the interim, I ordered a set of Rancho RS7MTs . I’ll use them until I can afford the shocks I want. After I get them installed and run them on the street & trail for a bit, I’ll post my impressions.
Hit mostly fire roads last weekend... But they felt great. I think you will be happy with them.

GP NOIR

Hooked
Hit mostly fire roads last weekend... But they felt great. I think you will be happy with them.
Ha! If I can get them installed! Front shocks didn’t come with the needed hardware- the nuts, washers and isolators were missing from the package. Will be making phone calls in the morning.

In rear, I broke a lower bolt trying to remove it. The part of the bolt passing through the eye of the shock has half its diameter worn away. Before going any further, I need to get all new hardware.

Shocks are supposed to be an easy upgrade!

Top Bottom