Rubicon trail summer of 2022

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Following this. It’s a ways off for planning but it’s pretty local for me. I should be game.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

fiend

Caught the Bug
I am following this as well, what do you all think? I have a 2 door 3.5” lift 35” lsd diff, no lockers. Think I will be ok?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

You should be mostly fine. There are a few places where a locker will be much better than an LSD. Not that you probably couldn’t make it with an LSD, but you’ll have to use momentum in situations where you could crawl with a locker.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

DaJudge

I’m interested as well. I’ve camped remotely lots in my life. As for the trail itself for those that have wheeled it, would a stock Gladiator be able to make it on the factory 33” rubber? Or do I need to start planning a lift and bigger rubber before then? September would work for me!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
TFL ran it in a stock Rubicon Gladiator during a press event. You should watch it.

I am already planning on running it in '22 so I am watching this thread.

desertrunner

ok so talking with my dad im looking at late july or early august (working around my brothers school summer). My dad also got the green light on $5k to get a refresh on lift and shocks, 35s and smore skids so he should be set up well to hang in there. I want to take 4 days out on the trail and definitely want to camp at Rubicon springs. Looking at running it west to east maybe starting at loon lake? seems to be the more popular place to start. most likely camp there the first night. from there i think we can make it to rubicon springs thinking 2 nights there. then maybe finish off with 1 night at mckinny. just rough plans for now. rubicon springs seems to be the halfway point when starting from Loon. Ill have to look at some of the major obstacles and see if many instead of 2 nights at rubicon springs, camp somewhere near Cadillac hill. Open to advice on camping spots other than rubicon springs though from those that have done it.

Brute

Hooked
ok so talking with my dad im looking at late july or early august (working around my brothers school summer). My dad also got the green light on $5k to get a refresh on lift and shocks, 35s and smore skids so he should be set up well to hang in there. I want to take 4 days out on the trail and definitely want to camp at Rubicon springs. Looking at running it west to east maybe starting at loon lake? seems to be the more popular place to start. most likely camp there the first night. from there i think we can make it to rubicon springs thinking 2 nights there. then maybe finish off with 1 night at mckinny. just rough plans for now. rubicon springs seems to be the halfway point when starting from Loon. Ill have to look at some of the major obstacles and see if many instead of 2 nights at rubicon springs, camp somewhere near Cadillac hill. Open to advice on camping spots other than rubicon springs though from those that have done it.
We usually start the trail at Loon Lake after leaving SLT early in the morning...you could camp the first night at Little Sluice at the junction of the bypass/Little Sluice...nice campsite near Spider Lake...then spend the 2nd night at Buck Island Lake, there is a campsite near the dam...spend the third night at Rubicon Springs...then off the trail on the 4th day. Bring bear spray...apparently the black bears are getting more bold at Rubicon Springs...and bring your fly rod.

CalSgt

Hooked
Coming from Loon lake once you get to Rubicon springs the only challenging thing left is Cadillac IIRC. From Loon to the springs is a long day of wheeling especially if you've never been or if there ends up being traffic.

We usually start the trail at Loon Lake after leaving SLT early in the morning...you could camp the first night at Little Sluice at the junction of the bypass/Little Sluice...nice campsite near Spider Lake...then spend the 2nd night at Buck Island Lake, there is a campsite near the dam...spend the third night at Rubicon Springs...then off the trail on the 4th day. Bring bear spray...apparently the black bears are getting more bold at Rubicon Springs...and bring your fly rod.
Brute has a real solid plan

desertrunner

I do like brutes plan a lot. In general my dad is pretty inexperienced and his rig is less so built than most. I am also inexperienced compared to most ppl on here but my rig should handle it just fine. Neither of us have ever been and it's going to be part of a longer vacation so I don't wanna just blast through it. I was thinking splitting it up in roughly 5 mile chuncks but if nothing after Rubicon springs is all that challenging then I don't see why the last chunk being 10 or so would be too bad.

Brute

Hooked
I do like brutes plan a lot. In general my dad is pretty inexperienced and his rig is less so built than most. I am also inexperienced compared to most ppl on here but my rig should handle it just fine. Neither of us have ever been and it's going to be part of a longer vacation so I don't wanna just blast through it. I was thinking splitting it up in roughly 5 mile chuncks but if nothing after Rubicon springs is all that challenging then I don't see why the last chunk being 10 or so would be too bad.
Once you get up Cadillac Hill and pass Observation Point, it is just a rough dirt road...not very challenging and mostly in hi range.

I'm going to try and make this trip...I know a couple guys that do it every year around this time, might be able to meld the two trips together. They are getting ready to head to the Rubicon as I write this, and the only reason I'm not going is that I'm heading to AK for two weeks of fly fishing...

desertrunner

Once you get up Cadillac Hill and pass Observation Point, it is just a rough dirt road...not very challenging and mostly in hi range.

I'm going to try and make this trip...I know a couple guys that do it every year around this time, might be able to meld the two trips together. They are getting ready to head to the Rubicon as I write this, and the only reason I'm not going is that I'm heading to AK for two weeks of fly fishing...
Where are you headed to in Alaska? I'm leaving Sunday for a 2 week trip to Alaska flying a helo out of a fishing lodge getting some mountain flying experience about 2.5 hours NE of Anchorage

Brute

Hooked
Where are you headed to in Alaska? I'm leaving Sunday for a 2 week trip to Alaska flying a helo out of a fishing lodge getting some mountain flying experience about 2.5 hours NE of Anchorage
Katmai Peninsula...first week at Big Ku lodge, 2nd week at Royal Wolf lodge...SW of Anchorage...if you're in Anchorage on the 23rd I'll buy you a beer...

Top Bottom