Rubicon Axles under JKU Sport Questions

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I have several questions for those who have put Rubicon axles under a Sport, or those who are in the know.

If I choose to put Rubicon axles under a JKU Sport, what is needed to complete the swap? I am looking at the possibility of doing this, and the best I can tell I would need the axles, locker wiring harnesses, either the factory Rubicon locker switch panel or aftermarket switches, and a ProCal or Flashcal to compensate for the gear change from the 3.21 gears to the 4.10 gears. Am I missing anything?

Will the factory JKU Sport Drive Shafts line up with the Rubicon axles or will drive shafts be needed? (I am unsure if the transfer cases are in the same place, etc.)

Does the ECU need to be flashed for any reason if I use a factory Rubicon switch panel?

Any issues with using a ProCal or FlashCal for the gear change?

Anything else I am missing or that is needed?

Thanks in advance Wayalifers!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You don't need 90% of the stuff you listed.

You need the axles, a standard two post switch, some wire and the procal to change gear ratio. Don't wire it into the jeep computer.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
You don't need 90% of the stuff you listed.

You need the axles, a standard two post switch, some wire and the procal to change gear ratio. Don't wire it into the jeep computer.

Awesome, thanks OverlanderJK! Much easier than I thought. I wasn't sure if the stock drive shafts from the sport would line up with the Rubi axles. Any idea what is involved wiring them up to a standard switch such as the Daystar switches? Is it just positive, negative and fuse like hooking up Auxiliary lights?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Awesome, thanks OverlanderJK! Much easier than I thought. I wasn't sure if the stock drive shafts from the sport would line up with the Rubi axles. Any idea what is involved wiring them up to a standard switch such as the Daystar switches? Is it just positive, negative and fuse like hooking up Auxiliary lights?

That's it. I don't even think you need a fuse. I can't remember if I installed a fuse or not.

Sharkey would know. He gave me a wiring diagram.

tgoss

If you'd like to make it super easy on yourself you can buy the mopar locker wiring harness. Just did this for the front of mine and wired it to my spod but same concept just comes with the factory connector and positive/ground leads more than long enough for the rear as well.

Mopar Part Number: P5155359

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
If you'd like to make it super easy on yourself you can buy the mopar locker wiring harness. Just did this for the front of mine and wired it to my spod but same concept just comes with the factory connector and positive/ground leads more than long enough for the rear as well.

Mopar Part Number: P5155359

Awesome. Do you by chance have any pics of how you wired it up?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I would like to do that swap in the future also.

I was set to do front and rear Dynatrac axles on my current rig and bump up to 37s in a few months. Because I am now starting over with a new rig, I will be using some of that money to get the new rig to at least where my current rig is now. Although they are nowhere near comparable, it's hard to ignore the fact I can get front and rear crate Rubicon axles for around the same price as the PR44. It will at least get me beefier internals, lockers and better gears to run 35s right off the bat. I can always upgrade as needed or sell the front 44 if I decide to upgrade later as well.

Top Bottom