Rubicon 392 with a full time transfer case and cv joints in the front?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! Yeah, if I was ever going to do a V8 swap I honestly think I'd start with another Jeep. I learned so much here and also by making mistakes that the second time would be a breeze! Ha, it'd probably cost half of what I spent on the Gruff. :sick:
For sure, learning is crazy expensive.

J&k_Overland

There's no way I would spend 35 ish for a 392 plus incidentals. For me, the whole point of getting a V8 is to have the power I want for big tires and from what I have seen over the years, an LS or better yet, an LT will do it better and for less money. Granted, you need to use a shop that knows how to install and work on an LS and LT.
Yeah seemed awful steep to me too.

benatc1

Hooked
I tend to agree with most of you, of I was starting from scratch it's probably relativity the same to start with a 392, but as most of us have already bought the jeep and some mods, your losing money, hopefully we see motech jump into the JL/JT to create a bit more competition and other options as it seems companies are charging and arm and leg for hemi swaps

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I tend to agree with most of you, of I was starting from scratch it's probably relativity the same to start with a 392, but as most of us have already bought the jeep and some mods, your losing money, hopefully we see motech jump into the JL/JT to create a bit more competition and other options as it seems companies are charging and arm and leg for hemi swaps
I've been pushing Motech to do an LT for the JL/JT for a while now. He's done one on his personal JL but held off coming to market due to the 392. After talking to Cindy, we both agree that our JT needs a V8 more than our JL ever will. Hoping Robbie changes his mind because I think we'll be calling on him. o_O

jdofmemi

Not sure where you got the $40k for an engine from. Shouldn't cost more than $25k... $30k MAX and that's with a brand new crate LT and transmission. We've done it for a LOT less using an LS out of a wrecked Denali with only 11k on it. The motor AND trans was only $5k. The kit and labor is more of course but not $35k worth.

Again, if you already have a paid off Jeep with a nice suspension system, bumpers, armor and maybe even 1-tons, adding in an engine is WAY MORE cost effective than starting over again.
This is nearly exactly what is in the future, for one of my Jeeps.

Now to decide which one. I have a while while I slowly gather parts to decide.

My V-8 savings turned into a second Jeep, instead of an engine swap.

The best part about that is I will have one to drive while I build the other one, and won't feel rushed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is nearly exactly what is in the future, for one of my Jeeps.

Now to decide which one. I have a while while I slowly gather parts to decide.

My V-8 savings turned into a second Jeep, instead of an engine swap.

The best part about that is I will have one to drive while I build the other one, and won't feel rushed.
LOL - no lie, that's the biggest reason why we decided that one capable Jeep wasn't enough. We always needed a Plan B. Of course, that quickly changed into needing a Plan C as well :ROFLMAO:

J&k_Overland

Yeah all the comprises that the 392 has built in is pushing me to a different power plant Keep it reliable while throwing money at the YJ and CJ.

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
I agree that is way to costly for what your getting, definitely a better option to drop a V8 into an already built Jeep.

benatc1

Hooked
I've been pushing Motech to do an LT for the JL/JT for a while now. He's done one on his personal JL but held off coming to market due to the 392. After talking to Cindy, we both agree that our JT needs a V8 more than our JL ever will. Hoping Robbie changes his mind because I think we'll be calling on him. o_O
Maybe you can be the second prototype! Lol

JT@623

Hooked
I went back and forth on mine for months and tons of research buy new or just build what I really wanted .
I’m pretty attached to my JK and don’t need two . Lots of things on the JL/JT I liked and some things not so much the FAD no locking hubs V-6 power etc then starting from scratch again . Now I have what I want at least for now . Are you ever really done with mods on one LOL .

jorgelrod

Hooked
Assuming you have your Jeep paid off, it's way more cost effective to drop a V8 in what you have now. And what you have now is a nicely built Jeep.
Yeah, ultimately I think this is what will happen for me. The day my 3.6 goes bye bye I'll get a loan and drop a 392 with the 8 speed and rubi t-case setup like the Jeep speed shop guys have come up with

Top Bottom