Rock Slider build

I was looking at this perforated hot roll steel, its a bit pricey but I think it would look good on there. I would rather find some material to repurpose but all I have come up with is really old 14 Ga galvanized sheet...

View attachment 358198

Careful with those styles if you’re a barefoot kinda guy. Or kids are.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I was looking at this perforated hot roll steel, its a bit pricey but I think it would look good on there. I would rather find some material to repurpose but all I have come up with is really old 14 Ga galvanized sheet...

View attachment 358198

Aw yea that does look nice. Too bad you’re not in CO. I have some of that stuff in the scrap bin that are drops from some handrail we just built at work.

Careful with those styles if you’re a barefoot kinda guy. Or kids are.

Yea that is a good point. Your could hit each hole with a countersink bit to smooth out the top surface, but still...

CalSgt

Hooked
I found some material for the treads (step surface), its not as fancy as I was planning but it was free which is better. We had some channel left over from when we built this shop that is 0.106" thick.

IMG_4682.jpg

IMG_4688.jpg

IMG_4693.jpg

IMG_4697.jpg

Planning on using some 1/4" x 20 allen head bolts for traction studs at the door openings.

IMG_4701.jpg

Should be finished in three weeks...

CalSgt

Hooked
Got the perimeter bolt hols drilled and tapped

IMG_4703.jpg

Layed out, and drilled holes for the bolt heads on the step surface, welded in the ones that won't be able to accept a nut on the other side. I would have installed all of the bolts but I bought every one the hardware store had, waiting on Amazon to deliver the rest.

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
Got the perimeter bolt hols drilled and tapped

View attachment 358674

Layed out, and drilled holes for the bolt heads on the step surface, welded in the ones that won't be able to accept a nut on the other side. I would have installed all of the bolts but I bought every one the hardware store had, waiting on Amazon to deliver the rest.

View attachment 358676

View attachment 358677

curious why you didn't use a round head or lower profile bolt?

or something like a bolt-down anti-slip aluminum plate

CalSgt

Hooked
I understand the bolts are for traction, curious why not a lower profile bolt that would still provide traction.

They're only about 3/16" tall and 5/16" wide just a little smaller than a peanut, for comparison the lip on the sheetmetal is about 1 & 1/8" tall. The thought was if I have to climb in or out while wheeling and have wet, muddy, or snowy boots I don't want to slip and break my neck. I looked extensively for other materials but most were too costly, I also take pride in using scraps when I can. Besides, if I decide I don't like them I'll build something else...

jeeeep

Hooked
They're only about 3/16" tall and 5/16" wide just a little smaller than a peanut, for comparison the lip on the sheetmetal is about 1 & 1/8" tall. The thought was if I have to climb in or out while wheeling and have wet, muddy, or snowy boots I don't want to slip and break my neck. I looked extensively for other materials but most were too costly, I also take pride in using scraps when I can. Besides, if I decide I don't like them I'll build something else...
a=

ah optical illusion, they look a lot taller in the image :thumb:

CalSgt

Hooked
Got the rear frame mounts mocked up and tacked on, test fit one more time before welding the last bracket Tomorrow I'll be grinding down all welds, gusseting, and doing paint prep

IMG_5718.jpg

IMG_5719.jpg

Home made flag nuts... Had to make two flag nuts for each side, I used a small piece of gas welding rod as a template

IMG_5725.jpg

Here is a comparison pic of the bolt heads next to my size 14's for the haters LOL

IMG_5721.jpg

Got the rear frame mounts mocked up and tacked on, test fit one more time before welding the last bracket Tomorrow I'll be grinding down all welds, gusseting, and doing paint prep

View attachment 359151

View attachment 359152

Home made flag nuts... Had to make two flag nuts for each side, I used a small piece of gas welding rod as a template

View attachment 359153

Here is a comparison pic of the bolt heads next to my size 14's for the haters LOL

View attachment 359154

Looks good man. It’s a cool design. I like how the mitered ends make a sharper corner. Its different. It works. I had an idea for a front stinger that is not bent pipe[emoji848] maybe miters...maybe square tube...

CalSgt

Hooked
Looks good man. It’s a cool design. I like how the mitered ends make a sharper corner. Its different. It works. I had an idea for a front stinger that is not bent pipe[emoji848] maybe miters...maybe square tube...

Thanks...

Square tubing is so much easier to work with than round, doing multiple miters and coped angles on round tubing is so time consuming and gives me a headache. Square or rectangle tubing can easily come out looking like you bought it from FabFour or ADD if you're not careful though

CalSgt

Hooked
Plated up the mounting brackets, gusseted the corners & decided to plate the whole bottom with 11 Ga. Made some cut outs that line up with the lip on the edge of a handyman jack too

IMG_5754.jpg

IMG_5751.jpg

IMG_5749.jpg

IMG_5747.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom