Requesting JLUR Lift and Wheels Advice

Mose

Fellow Jeep Lovers – I need some advice on lifts and tires. This is something many people ask about I realize but I am stuck and need suggestions. My Jeep is a 2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L V6 Gas. I want to go to 35” with a 2” lift. It is 3/4 time daily driver and ¼ time off-roading in CO on rutted, rocky tough roads but not heavy duty rock crawling.

Question -- what lift, wheel and suspension component set up is best for my vehicle and usage?

My current set up is stock wheels, 33s, the steel bumper set, a steel roof rack and a winch. May add some skids in the future. I want to keep the lift to 2” since I feel anything greater than 2” with 35’s on a JLUR looks out of proportion and with a 2” lift I could someday go to 37’s if it comes to that.
  • For a lift -- I am down to Mopar 2”, Dynatrac Endurosport or AEV 2.5 Dualsport. I’m leaning toward Mopar because I feel the height is right and I like that it is Mopar. I’m a little worried about the spring bowing I have read about. Is that now fixed? Dynatrac gets good reviews but seems light on parts and less adopted. I believe AEV is the best quality but sounds like it will generate 3”+ lift and that stops me.
  • Wheels - Should I put the 35’s on my stock wheels or get new wheels. If new wheels I am thinking 17”, 16.5” wide. What do I need in terms of offset?
  • Added Suspension parts – adjustable track bars? Geometry control brackets? Others suspension components? I am all for having a good quality set up if it makes a real difference.
Any suggestions will be most appreciated. Thank you. Mose.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, of the lifts that you've listed, I would definitely go with the Mopar kit if only because if comes with new front lower control arms that are just a hair longer to accommodate for the lift it provides. I should note that you will get closer to 3" of actual lift but that is much better than the less than 2" of lift the Dynatrac kit will ultimately give you. The AEV kit is nice too but I think you'll find it to ride on the firm side. If that's something you prefer, it's something to consider as well. If you're looking for other options, I personally would recommend this.

It's affordable and I found it to get the job done well and provide a great ride.

In regards to other parts, an adjustable front track bar is nice to have if only to help recenter your axle. Drop brackets are only needed IF you do not install new adjustable or longer lower control arms.

Mose

Thank you for the reply on the lift. Do you know if Mopar solved the bowing spring problem on their lift that you read about?

jeeeep

Hooked
I ran the AEV on my 2018 JLU with 37's before going to long arms

The ride was very close to stock. I was more concerned with the control arm geometry correction brackets but after a trip to Moab they held up fine.

I do at times wish I had left it with the AEV because of how little I get out on the trails but hope to change that this year.

I have the AEV sitting in a box but need to go thru it and see what parts might be missing after the long arm install

Tixslam

I think you'll like the Mopar lift with 35's. I am running that setup and have done quite a lot of trails in Colorado and have no issues. Rides good on the road and I don't have any spring bowing.

SargeCoGa

Caught the Bug
Fellow Jeep Lovers – I need some advice on lifts and tires. This is something many people ask about I realize but I am stuck and need suggestions. My Jeep is a 2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L V6 Gas. I want to go to 35” with a 2” lift. It is 3/4 time daily driver and ¼ time off-roading in CO on rutted, rocky tough roads but not heavy duty rock crawling.

Question -- what lift, wheel and suspension component set up is best for my vehicle and usage?

My current set up is stock wheels, 33s, the steel bumper set, a steel roof rack and a winch. May add some skids in the future. I want to keep the lift to 2” since I feel anything greater than 2” with 35’s on a JLUR looks out of proportion and with a 2” lift I could someday go to 37’s if it comes to that.
  • For a lift -- I am down to Mopar 2”, Dynatrac Endurosport or AEV 2.5 Dualsport. I’m leaning toward Mopar because I feel the height is right and I like that it is Mopar. I’m a little worried about the spring bowing I have read about. Is that now fixed? Dynatrac gets good reviews but seems light on parts and less adopted. I believe AEV is the best quality but sounds like it will generate 3”+ lift and that stops me.
  • Wheels - Should I put the 35’s on my stock wheels or get new wheels. If new wheels I am thinking 17”, 16.5” wide. What do I need in terms of offset?
  • Added Suspension parts – adjustable track bars? Geometry control brackets? Others suspension components? I am all for having a good quality set up if it makes a real difference.
Any suggestions will be most appreciated. Thank you. Mose.
I run the Mopar lift on my 21 Rubicon with the diesel. I think it is a good lift for ride and trail plus it kept my warranty intact. I am running 37's on the stock wheels with the lift and have plenty of room for flex.

Mose

Thanks all for the ideas and advice. Much appreciated. With regard to the wheels -- how do you determine what the proper offset or backspacing is in purchasing new wheels? I know those are key to avoid rubbing but not sure how to determine what to get.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks all for the ideas and advice. Much appreciated. With regard to the wheels -- how do you determine what the proper offset or backspacing is in purchasing new wheels? I know those are key to avoid rubbing but not sure how to determine what to get.
Factory wheels have 6.25" of back spacing. If you're wanting to run larger and wider wheels, you will need to either run wheel spacers OR a new set of wheels with LESS back spacing. Typically, you'll want at least 5.5" or less. 3.5" is the most common back spacing you can find but that will push your wheels out past the fender flares.

Mose

If you’re going to run 35s or the Ko2s in a 37”, those wheels will tuck nicely without rubbing.
Thanks for the tip. Must they be paired with the AEV lift to fit as you describe or if I use them with the 2" Mopar or other similar lift will they fit just as well?

Thanks for the tip. Must they be paired with the AEV lift to fit as you describe or if I use them with the 2" Mopar or other similar lift will they fit just as well?
Yeah, I was commenting on the wheels with that backspacing and 35s. You’ll need the lift and that backspacing if you go with the 37” Ko2s.

Edit: I have the AEV 2.5 and I have 37” STT Pros on KMC machetes with 3.5” BS. I had to remove the fender liners and trim so the tires wouldn’t rip off the fenders. With the 37” KO2s and Borahs, I had no rubbing at all.

Last edited:

Tixslam

I am running KMC Bully's 17X8.5 with 18MM offset. Calculator says that is 5.46" backspacing. No problems with 35"s. Tire edge comes just to the edge of the fenders. No rubbing issues, probably will never see 37" tires.

4PLAY

As others have said the Mopar is a great lift for your type of driving and works well with 35's. I ran 35" KO2's on Mopar Off Road 17"x8.5" wheels with 5.22" backspacing on the Mopar lift for a good year and that combo worked great both on and off road!
Then I thought I wanted more...Now running 37" KO2 D's (wasn't happy with the 37" C's) on same wheels but with a 2.5" lift...More work needed to get this as dialed in as previous combo but will have to wait till new truck comes in so I can afford the Jeeps down time.

onlyone

Looks like you have the lift figured out, but you can easily run your factory wheels without spacers with 35s or 37’s with a few adjustments. A few turns of the steering stops in the front and either a little extra bumpstop in the rear and/or a little molding of the rear inner fenders in the back. Other wise the AEV will keep them tucked nicely as well. I ran 37’s and stock wheels on both my JLUR and JLR.

Mose

As others have said the Mopar is a great lift for your type of driving and works well with 35's. I ran 35" KO2's on Mopar Off Road 17"x8.5" wheels with 5.22" backspacing on the Mopar lift for a good year and that combo worked great both on and off road!
Then I thought I wanted more...Now running 37" KO2 D's (wasn't happy with the 37" C's) on same wheels but with a 2.5" lift...More work needed to get this as dialed in as previous combo but will have to wait till new truck comes in so I can afford the Jeeps down time.
Thanks for the information. Any suggestions on wheel brand ~ 300 or less per wheel?

4PLAY

Thanks for the information. Any suggestions on wheel brand ~ 300 or less per wheel?

I really like the Mopar Off Road PN 77072494AB, 17 x 8.5 with 5.22" backspace, even have the Jeep logo! I got mine last summer on sale at Quadratec for under $250 each with free shipping.

940EF329-EBE6-4B5B-ABDC-B38E44749C6D_1_201_a.jpeg

Top Bottom