Remember D-Day June 6th 1944

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Hello All,

My first thread I have ever created on the forum so here we go.

I am a huge history fan and love learning, remembering, watching documentaries and talking to the people who have fought for this country. At this time in 1944 June the 5th our airborne troops were flying into Germany to secure vital objectives such as crossroads, etc. that were crucial to the invasion of Normandy. Most of the men on this mission were scared, but ready to fight and lay down their lives for our country. I only know this through books and watching alot of Band of Brothers it is the best movie to me.

101st_Airborne_on_D-Day_-1.jpg

101st-d-day-normandy-drops-stimulated-boredom.jpg

On June 6th 1944 US, British and Canadian landed to established 5 beach heads jJuno, Sword, Gold, Utah and Omaha. The US was assigned Utah and Omaha beaches, Omaha beach was the most heavily fortified beach out of the 5 and proved it very well we came close to loosing the beach head but our boys stayed strong and pushed on to establish a firm beach head and we began to push into Germany, while our airborne forces continued to fight behind enemy lines to help progress the invasion.

d-day-beach.jpg

D-Day1944 jeep.jpg

Of course what fun would this thread be if I didn't include a Jeep landing on Utah.

In remembrance to those who served and served on D-Day THANK YOU.

I hope everybody remembers the men and women who fought to keep this country free and gave their lives for this country.

Lets here your stories of remembrance. Enjoy

Last edited:

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Hello All,

My first thread I have ever created on the forum so here we go.

I am a huge history fan and love learning, remembering, watching documentaries and talking to the people who have fought for this country. At this time in 1944 June the 5th our airborne troops were flying into Germany to secure vital objectives such as crossroads, etc. that were crucial to the invasion of Normandy...

*SNIP*

View attachment 147357

Of course what fun would this thread be if I didn't include a Jeep landing on Utah.

In remembrance to those who served and served on D-Day THANK YOU.

I hope everybody remembers the men and women who fought to keep this country free and gave their lives for this country.

Lets here your stories of remembrance. Enjoy
Great thread!

First, the Jeep is a Ford version in the picture, if I'm not mistaken.

Second, 21 years ago, I had the most amazing day, on the 50th anniversary of D-Day, in having two veterans in the same bar I was in, who were there. I'm still amazed, that as a young guy in my early twenties, that I had the chance to talk to guys who are a dwindling number of guys who went in and did their duty.

One man was Army Air Corps, who ended up retiring as a Colonel in the Air Force, who was a spotter, and helping to direct Naval bombardments of German positions.

The other man's story was amazing. He was hit in the stomach in the morning by a bullet, and laid on the beach all day. A half-track ran him over him, and somehow he survived the day, spent over a year in Army hospitals, until he was well enough to begin his life. He became a block mason, raised a family and in his 70s, to see him get around, you'd have never guessed in a million years he was that close to death.

And to this day, I'm proud to have gotten the chance to know both of those men.

God bles our veterans. And God bless those who never made it home.

Wardell

I hate to be "that guy," but you left out the 5th beach - Juno!

That aside, this was the largest seaborne operation in history, and it was a definite turning point in WWII. And there were plenty of Jeeps that were brought ashore in the landing craft as well as from the air in gliders. It is well worth remembering indeed!

LeighP

Interesting aircraft recently discovered......someone researching the history of an old C47 found it was the lead aircraft on the first drops of D day. Aircraft is heading to Texas to be restored in it's D-day colours.

TAB-Noseart-copy.jpg

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Thanks for all inputs and the amazing stories guys it's all worth remembering

Haha funny bout the Jeep/ ford I forgot how there were other manufacturers of the Jeep it's really interesting though thanks for the input

Top Bottom