Rear Bumper/Frame Question

Masjkf84

Caught the Bug
Hello,

I'm looking at cutting the rear frame off behind the cross member, flipping it, and welding it back on. WIth this I'd be keeping the tow hitch attached. In my mind I'd think this would help with departure angle. I'd also weld on some tubing to wrap around the body a little bit and use this as my rear bumper.

Anyone done anything like this before or see any issues with it? I'm looking for any and all opinions!

Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure I understand what you're hoping to do. When you remove the rear bumper, there really isn't that much frame sticking out, basically, just the cross member. :idontknow:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Not sure I understand what you're hoping to do. When you remove the rear bumper, there really isn't that much frame sticking out, basically, just the cross member. :idontknow:

I think that's what he wants to cut. But not sure what flipping it would do. It's fairly straight.

Masjkf84

Caught the Bug
I don't even know what I'm trying to do half the time. haha I guess my main goal was to mount the trailer hitch up higher and this was the first idea I thought of. I was looking at the EVO D-Rings and it looks like that bar going across curves down so if it was flipped it would sit up higher and flip the trailer hitch. Probably was a bad idea though!

Appreciate the response fella's

JKbrick

I'm no engineer so idk what it would do to the structure, but if you want the hitch higher could you cut a square hole and weld it into the rear crossmember where it is?

Top Bottom