Rattles during acceleration

Hey folks,

2021 JLUR, 3.6L, 8spd, 5.13, 37s

A few weeks ago I started to notice a rattle during accelerating while shifting through 3rd and fourth. It occurs during light acceleration and under load, especially when climbing even the smallest of hills. It’s like one heavy rattle with a few quieter ones ad then stops. I’m pretty sure the noise is coming from the engine and It sounds like engine knock to me.

Any of you JL or JT folks have, or had, this?

Thanks!

JimLee

Hooked
My JL had light what I would describe as "spark knock" but I am not sure how bad it was in relation to yours, I moved up to 89 octane and it went away. I chalked it up to the shit tune they put on these Pentastar engines to get more MPG's. As soon as I escape California this thing is getting an aftermarket tune.

My JL had light what I would describe as "spark knock" but I am not sure how bad it was in relation to yours, I moved up to 89 octane and it went away. I chalked it up to the shit tune they put on these Pentastar engines to get more MPG's. As soon as I escape California this thing is getting an aftermarket tune.
Thanks, that’s what it sounds like to me as well. What’s odd is that I have nearly 23k miles and I’ve only started hearing this a couple weeks ago. Maybe it’s the new shit gas we have in California?

I guess that I’ll try the 89 octane… I shouldn’t have to do that though. Kaching

JimLee

Hooked
Thanks, that’s what it sounds like to me as well. What’s odd is that I have nearly 23k miles and I’ve only started hearing this a couple weeks ago. Maybe it’s the new shit gas we have in California?

I guess that I’ll try the 89 octane… I shouldn’t have to do that though. Kaching
You could take it by the dealer, but from what I've seen on other forums the answer always seems to be "that's normal". Mine didn't really getting noticeable until about 10k or so. Yea, my mileage changes twice a year based on what shit gas is currently being forced on us.

You could take it by the dealer, but from what I've seen on other forums the answer always seems to be "that's normal". Mine didn't really getting noticeable until about 10k or so. Yea, my mileage changes twice a year based on what shit gas is currently being forced on us.
Thanks for the help! I’ll try the 89 and monitor it. If it continues then I’ll try the stealership route.

JimLee

Hooked
@JimLee, The good news is that you were right, 89 octane cleared up the knock. The bad news is now I’m complaining even more about my fuel bill. 🤨 lol
Sorry, took the wife camping for a few days. Happy to hear that it isn't something serious, I hear you on the fuel costs, i cant believe I was all excited to only pay 4.53 a gallon in Utah this week.

Top Bottom