Rattle Can Bedliner Experiences...

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Anyone have good experience with rattle can bedliner?

Im looking to paint some parts that (hopefully) won't get hit. I want a durable finish with a dull textured look, similar to crinkle black powdercoat. I was looking at the AEV builder's corners, and figured I'd rattle can liner them, but have heard bad things about em. Anyone have any decent experience with a rattle can liner? UV resistance (turning yellow), durability, look, feel, etc. Thanks for any help guys!

rinkishjk

I use nothing but the rattle can rustoleum truck bed coating. Did my grille, bumpers, and sliders with it. Easy to touch up and durable.

Attachments

• 1371257461826.jpg
    1371257461826.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 216
  • 1371257563319.jpg
    1371257563319.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 216

Glissoar

I tried plasti dip when I first ripped out my carpet and that stuff didn't last one day before it started peeling! I've used it on exterior pieces with great results but bed lining the floor is a no no with plasti dip!

Seanalanmeador2

I used the stuff that the auto parts stores have it is rattle can bedliner. Armor something in the name. $13 a can and it is a rubber like texture coming on and it has held up great. I've done the tub and fenders and sliders. Oh yeah AND my bumpers I built. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1371262282.714555.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1371262342.114595.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
Dupicolor Bed Armor - looks good, seems to hold up. Prep is what will make it last or not - spend the time and prep properly.

Also, it water based paint, if you try to use it in humid weather it will run so you'll have to apply a lot of thin coats to avoid runs - also have some fans on hand to help it dry between coats.

Rebel JK

I used Rustoleum bedliner from Home depot on my home brew sliders. Runs about 8 bucks a can, and for what its worth I really like the finish look. Its closer to flat than a gloss. I'm expecting to scratch and beat the hell out of them, so thats why I didnt go with powder. Just touch em up. I'm not dealing with your harsh winter/salt conditions though.

Attachments

• 20130602_085357 - Copy.jpg
    20130602_085357 - Copy.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 20130602_085412 - Copy.jpg
    20130602_085412 - Copy.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 151

sean.m.adams33

Used a duplicolor etching primer. First I did some sanding to everything with 200 grit. Cleaned everything up with a good dish soap. Did one coat primer. Waited for it to cure. Then did another coat. Some mild sanding with 400 grit after that where I had a few mild runs. Then two coats of the Bed liner. Super easy to touch up and am happy with the result.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the replied guys. Sounds like it will work great for my AEV corners. Now, some of you mentioned that your liner is rubber feeling...I don't want that...I want a hardcoat. Is the rustoleum a hardcoating? Also, how do you spray bare metal? Sand->Clean->Etch Prime->Bedliner?

phillypete

I used Rustoleum bedliner from Home depot on my home brew sliders. Runs about 8 bucks a can, and for what its worth I really like the finish look. Its closer to flat than a gloss. I'm expecting to scratch and beat the hell out of them, so thats why I didnt go with powder. Just touch em up. I'm not dealing with your harsh winter/salt conditions though.

I did my rails with rustoleum bedliner as well and I couldn't be happier with the results.

Rebel JK

The rustoleum is a hard, lightly textured finish. Not at all rubbery. I have not yet had a chance to do a proper dose of rock abuse to mine yet, but will in the next month or so. Theduff recomended it to me and im now a believer.
I ran out of patience and did not etch or sandblast the metal but only lightly sanded mine.

Cajun JK

I used some that Walmart sold and did the inside of my TJ. Worked great and lasted a long time with no problems. I did use 3 coats.

jeeeep

Hooked
prepping will take the most time and make your paint job adhere better and not flake off:
get some acetone, old white t-shirts (cut them up), 400 grit sand paper, tack cloth, self etching primer and your paint.

1. Start by washing your rails to remove any dirt.

2. sand the rails - don't need to go crazy on them just scuff them up

3. go over them with the tack cloth to remove any filings

4. if you have somewhere to hang your parts, hang them, makes it easier to wipe and paint

5. wipe them down with the acetone - using white t-shirts, once the cloth is clean you're ready to paint

6. spray 2 coats of the self-etching primer, let it dry between coats per the instructions - use light coats

7 . spay light coat of the paint you chose, let it dry between coats per instructions spray again - several light coats will cure better than heavy coats

Top Bottom