Radios in Jeeps and on the Trail

Our club uses CB but I think the “tide be a changin.” GMRS seems to be where we’re going. Pretty cool since there’s 40 and soon to be 50watt radios from Midland.

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
I too started with just a CB which I installed and then tuned (i.e., adjusted my antenna for the perfect SWR rating). However, when my buddy and I ran into trouble on a trail at SMOR and tried to call someone with a working winch to free his Jeep from where it had become precariously stuck, we could not rouse nobody. I then threw him and his lady in my Jeep and drove to the office where the Security fellow who also does recovery told us that most of them had switched to GMRS - though their map still had a cb channel to call for assistance on, which is what we had referenced. As a result of this experience, I added a winch, and am considering adding a GMRS radio as well. I hear some parks are starting to suggest GMRS and some Jeep events are starting to require it. When I add a GMRS to my Jeep, I will probably still keep the CB to talk to truckers on long trips and to maximize my ability to communicate when I need help!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you see CB going away at some point and GMRS or Race radios being the go to?
Nope. At least, not with Race Radios. I use them because all my friends use them and you can only use them if you have the same frequencies. Sure, you can use weatherman but that can be crazy annoying if there are a lot of other people out and about with them. CB's are cheap and easy to use and all you really need to keep in touch with the friends you're wheeling with.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I too started with just a CB which I installed and then tuned (i.e., adjusted my antenna for the perfect SWR rating). However, when my buddy and I ran into trouble on a trail at SMOR and tried to call someone with a working winch to free his Jeep from where it had become precariously stuck, we could not rouse nobody. I then threw him and his lady in my Jeep and drove to the office where the Security fellow who also does recovery told us that most of them had switched to GMRS - though their map still had a cb channel to call for assistance on, which is what we had referenced. As a result of this experience, I added a winch, and am considering adding a GMRS radio as well. I hear some parks are starting to suggest GMRS and some Jeep events are starting to require it. When I add a GMRS to my Jeep, I will probably still keep the CB to talk to truckers on long trips and to maximize my ability to communicate when I need help!
I'm sure it's a matter of where I live but nothing short of satellite communication... maybe a HAM, will get you any help. It is for this for this reason that I always recommend be as prepared as possible, to have a WARN winch and to never wheel alone.

That said, if everyone in your neck of the woods is moving over to GMRS, that's what I would recommend you use. :cool:

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
I think the key takeaways are:
1. Run whatever radio your crew runs - they are who you would likely be talking to first anyway.
2. Don't count on the radio - whatever kind it is - to save you. Be ready to save yourself!
3. Keep an eye on what radios events or off-road parks are suggesting as this is some indication of the market and what you might want to have available if you end up really needing help and, despite your best preparation, you are unable to save yourself. This one is my personal opinion not one that can be gleaned from the posts others have offered...

Seems most guys and gals I know who run some form of comms equipment end up with multiple form factors (e.g., CB and GMRS or HAM) eventually. Given the frequency of use being likely very low, I know I personally will be opting for smaller, handheld, units in the future! You know, something you can throw in the glove box until you go wheeling or have a need!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think the key takeaways are:
1. Run whatever radio your crew runs - they are who you would likely be talking to first anyway.
2. Don't count on the radio - whatever kind it is - to save you. Be ready to save yourself!
3. Keep an eye on what radios events or off-road parks are suggesting as this is some indication of the market and what you might want to have available if you end up really needing help and, despite your best preparation, you are unable to save yourself. This one is my personal opinion not one that can be gleaned from the posts others have offered...

Seems most guys and gals I know who run some form of comms equipment end up with multiple form factors (e.g., CB and GMRS or HAM) eventually. Given the frequency of use being likely very low, I know I personally will be opting for smaller, handheld, units in the future! You know, something you can throw in the glove box until you go wheeling or have a need!
Yup. That's pretty much it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You mean like on Saturday.... I was thinking, oh shit, they are crossing water up here??? Huh..we’re racing now?? They just jumped a ditch?? 😂😂
:ROFLMAO: LOL - exactly! I would have preferred to use a different channel but I don't think the handheld that Mel was using had it. That's the BIG down side to race radios.

Top Bottom