Question for those who see icy roads

LarryB

Looking to change out tires for a better AT that I could potentially keep on all year round. I live in Calgary and frequent the mountains all year for various activities. My Goodyear Adventure tires are decent for most times but as they are not winter-rated, they kind of suck on ice. As a daily driver, I have to be very gentle not to induce spin when things get at all icy.

For those who live in places like Colorado, Canada or the northern US:
- Do you put on winter tires or do you leave on ATs?
- If you use ATs, which ones seem to have the best ice traction (knowing that just about any true winter tire would do better)?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looking to change out tires for a better AT that I could potentially keep on all year round. I live in Calgary and frequent the mountains all year for various activities. My Goodyear Adventure tires are decent for most times but as they are not winter-rated, they kind of suck on ice. As a daily driver, I have to be very gentle not to induce spin when things get at all icy.

For those who live in places like Colorado, Canada or the northern US:
- Do you put on winter tires or do you leave on ATs?
- If you use ATs, which ones seem to have the best ice traction (knowing that just about any true winter tire would do better)?
I would just run a good AT. I'm no fan of Goodyear especially being that they've decided to get so political but I have found their Duratracs to do very well in icy conditions. That being said, most AT's will as well.

mijku

Love my duratracs for winter driving in michigan. They always feel planted unless you get crazy with the skinny pedal.

WJCO

Meme King
Can't go wrong with Duratracs. One of the best AT's I've tried.
Honestly, Duratracs really are one of the best ATs for snowy conditions. With that being said, after Goodyear was caught last year telling their employees they were not allowed to wear any clothing supporting police but was totally ok with them wearing clothing supporting BLM while the BLM was burning down cities and looting businesses, I lost a lot of respect for Goodyear. Not to hijack this thread but figured others may want to know that if they didn't already. Once the Duratracs on our JL wear out, I'll be looking at something different. I've heard good things about Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

WJCO

Meme King
I would just run a good AT. I'm no fan of Goodyear especially being that they've decided to get so political but I have found their Duratracs to do very well in icy conditions. That being said, most AT's will as well.
Just saw this after I posted, lol. Already been covered.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, Duratracs really are one of the best ATs for snowy conditions. With that being said, after Goodyear was caught last year telling their employees they were not allowed to wear any clothing supporting police but was totally ok with them wearing clothing supporting BLM while the BLM was burning down cities and looting businesses, I lost a lot of respect for Goodyear. Not to hijack this thread but figured others may want to know that if they didn't already. Once the Duratracs on our JL wear out, I'll be looking at something different. I've heard good things about Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
LOL - you were a lot more thorough about it :)

LarryB

I can never figure out why a business would want to take a stand that could turn away large parts of the customer base. The same goes for the My Pillow guy and others. As a business owner, I like Michael Jordan’s stance ... both sides buy shoes. Thanks for the recommendation.

Colorado4x4

I ran a set of Duratrac 33s and they were incredible on icy roads in Colorado. They did great in Moab (most any tire does though) but their sidewalls are terrible in sharp rocks. I had maybe 15,000 miles on them and ripped two sidewalls in one summer. At that point I had probably 30 trails on them and went to a stronger sidewall tire. My advice is if you are doing a lot of wheeling on rocky trails then look for a different AT with better sidewalls.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I ran a set of Duratrac 33s and they were incredible on icy roads in Colorado. They did great in Moab (most any tire does though) but their sidewalls are terrible in sharp rocks. I had maybe 15,000 miles on them and ripped two sidewalls in one summer. At that point I had probably 30 trails on them and went to a stronger sidewall tire. My advice is if you are doing a lot of wheeling on rocky trails then look for a different AT with better sidewalls.
Weak sidewalls is common with Goodyear tires as a whole. At least, from what I have personally seen.

LarryB

I will factor that in, many thanks. I mostly limit my off-road ventures to getting to aid stations at trail running races, so more dirt than rocks. My concern is using icy mountain roads before getting to a trail.

You cannnnnnnnnnot beat a dedicated snow tire.
3D6C022A-FFCD-45E5-B169-E47FBB224D9C.jpeg
I don’t run them on my Jeep as I’m fine with some slipping and sliding on MTs and just leave it in 4 high all winter anyways. But you can’t beat them and there is no AT close to them. If it’s feasible for you and you’re in the mountains that much I would consider a dedicated winter set.

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
I ran the Duratrac tires for a while on my JK and they were fantastic. That being said the 37's Nitto Ridge Grapplers had no issues this year in Montana with the JT. They also have a 3 ply side wall vs 2 on the Goodyear.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I ran the Duratrac tires for a while on my JK and they were fantastic. That being said the 37's Nitto Ridge Grapplers had no issues this year in Montana with the JT. They also have a 3 ply side wall vs 2 on the Goodyear.
That’s what I run on my Ram and I love them for an all season tire. My only complaint is that the Ram ate them in 45k but that’s towing a ton of weight with a ton of Torque

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You cannnnnnnnnnot beat a dedicated snow tire.

I don’t run them on my Jeep as I’m fine with some slipping and sliding on MTs and just leave it in 4 high all winter anyways. But you can’t beat them and there is no AT close to them. If it’s feasible for you and you’re in the mountains that much I would consider a dedicated winter set.
Lots of folks in my town run studded tires. It's amazing to see how well they work, even on a Honda - like there isn't any snow or ice. They do sound like Rice Krispies when the white stuff is gone though. :ROFLMAO:

Lots of folks in my town run studded tires. It's amazing to see how well they work, even on a Honda - like there isn't any snow or ice. They do sound like Rice Krispies when the white stuff is gone though. :ROFLMAO:
That’s next level traction ha. Studs are illegal here though, roads are already trash enough.

Top Bottom