PSC CYLINDER ASSIST STEERING KIT

Kenney

I just ordered the PSC Cylinder Assist Kit for my 2017 JKUR and was looking for any advice before I install it. I saw a few Videos on the net and it looks pretty straight forward. 37 Toyo's RT
Thanks

Attachments

• 20220609_155511.jpg
    20220609_155511.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I just ordered the PSC Cylinder Assist Kit for my 2017 JKUR and was looking for any advice before I install it. I saw a few Videos on the net and it looks pretty straight forward.
Thanks

Just take your time. Messy part is removing all of the oem power steering (assuming you got the full kit). If you have a track bar brace like Synergys, make sure you use the other hardware kit with longer bolts. You can make the stock air filter work, will just require some trimming of out parts and moving a wiring harness a tad. Post up if you have any questions during install and sure we can all help out.

PSC has instructions on almost everything that you can find here:

https://www.pscmotorsports.com/tech-info

Kenney

Just take your time. Messy part is removing all of the oem power steering (assuming you got the full kit). If you have a track bar brace like Synergys, make sure you use the other hardware kit with longer bolts. You can make the stock air filter work, will just require some trimming of out parts and moving a wiring harness a tad. Post up if you have any questions during install and sure we can all help out.

PSC has instructions on almost everything that you can find here:

https://www.pscmotorsports.com/tech-info
Thanks for the info. I dont have the Synergys stuff so the PSC tech said I don't need the Grade 8 Bolts he said the Kit comes complete.
Looking forward to the upgrade Thanks
Waiting for the Rubicon Trail to melt

GP NOIR

Hooked
Buy a bottle of Loctite 545 or Apache pneumatic/hydraulic pipe thread locker and use it on every fitting. PSC supplies a small tube but it may not be enough. If you don't apply thread locker, the fittings will leak, especially the NPT fittings at the cooler.

The kit is designed to mount the cooler to the cross member in front of the radiator. On the bottom of the cross member are two holes, one left, one right. The hole spacing in the cooler matches the hole spacing in the cross member. Find the holes before drilling the cross member. It'll make locating where to drill easier.

Be absolutely certain each fitting is started before applying any torque. The hardest fittings to get properly started are at the steering box. Hydraulic fittings are easy to cross thread.

Removing the coolant overflow tank will make the job easier. Just lift it up and set it aside. Of course, you'll need to remove the grill as well.

Swepco 715 isn't cheap and in my AO, isn't readily available. I suggest picking up a few extra quarts to keep on hand.

Kenney

Buy a bottle of Loctite 545 or Apache pneumatic/hydraulic pipe thread locker and use it on every fitting. PSC supplies a small tube but it may not be enough. If you don't apply thread locker, the fittings will leak, especially the NPT fittings at the cooler.

The kit is designed to mount the cooler to the cross member in front of the radiator. On the bottom of the cross member are two holes, one left, one right. The hole spacing in the cooler matches the hole spacing in the cross member. Find the holes before drilling the cross member. It'll make locating where to drill easier.

Be absolutely certain each fitting is started before applying any torque. The hardest fittings to get properly started are at the steering box. Hydraulic fittings are easy to cross thread.

Removing the coolant overflow tank will make the job easier. Just lift it up and set it aside. Of course, you'll need to remove the grill as well.

Swepco 715 isn't cheap and in my AO, isn't readily available. I suggest picking up a few extra quarts to keep on hand.
GP thanks for the tips, I will pick up some Loctite 545 today, still waiting for the Kit to be delivered. I agree I should also pickup Swepco to be safe Thanks for your comments appreciated.

jeeeep

Hooked
Check the hoses for rubbing once it's once all tires are on the ground. Having a 2nd person to steer while you check for rubbing and leaks helps.

One of the hoses on my JKU kit was rubbing but I didn't catch it because I only checked lock to lock. Had I had someone steering I would have noticed it rubbing in transition of the turning side to side.

It took a few years, but the hose burst on a trail in the very small spot that had worn thin where it was rubbing.

Along with some extra Swepco, make sure you have the extra caps to seal off the ram and steering box in the event of a hose failure/removal.

Last edited:

The BAD Influence

I had to trim a small amount of plastic off the headlight mount to get the reservoir to sit properly. Just enough to push a wiring harness into a trough. Also, the psc fitting provided is a 45° angle coming out of the reservoir, which dumps it directly into the airbox. To me cutting the airbox was stupid. I went and purchased a new fitting that is just straight. There's plenty of hose provided, so I just looped the hose around the airbox.

Kenney

Check the hoses for rubbing once it's once all tires are on the ground. Having a 2nd person to steer while you check for rubbing and leaks helps.

One of the hoses on my JKU kit was rubbing but I didn't catch it because I only checked lock to lock. Had I had someone steering I would have noticed it rubbing in transition of the turning side to side.

It took a few years, but the hose burst on a trail in the very small spot that had worn thin where it was rubbing.

Along with some extra Swepco, make sure you have the extra caps to seal off the ram and steering box in the event of a hose failure/removal.
jeeeep, Keeping caps for emergency is a great Idea. I talked to my friend who is Calf Sherif and he said the PSC is okay to have because it still has direct steering if you have a failure in the hydro. He said if I was to go full Hydro without a steering box is where I could maybe get in trouble.
Caps and extra Swepco on the list
Thanks

Kenney

I had to trim a small amount of plastic off the headlight mount to get the reservoir to sit properly. Just enough to push a wiring harness into a trough. Also, the psc fitting provided is a 45° angle coming out of the reservoir, which dumps it directly into the airbox. To me cutting the airbox was stupid. I went and purchased a new fitting that is just straight. There's plenty of hose provided, so I just looped the hose around the airbox.
Wow didn't see cutting the airbox in the directions or changing the fitting I have a JK 2017. but I like keeping thinks tight and clean so I will keep the straight fitting on the table Thks

The BAD Influence

Wow didn't see cutting the airbox in the directions or changing the fitting I have a JK 2017. but I like keeping thinks tight and clean so I will keep the straight fitting on the table Thks
Cutting the airbox is NOT in the instructions. But, with the supplied fitting, there's no other way to make it work. I read on this and other forums, that was the thing to do. Total BS in my opinion.

Kenney

Cutting the airbox is NOT in the instructions. But, with the supplied fitting, there's no other way to make it work. I read on this and other forums, that was the thing to do. Total BS in my opinion.
Do you remember the fitting number I'll get one today. (still waiting for the unit to come)

jeeeep

Hooked
jeeeep, Keeping caps for emergency is a great Idea. I talked to my friend who is Calf Sherif and he said the PSC is okay to have because it still has direct steering if you have a failure in the hydro. He said if I was to go full Hydro without a steering box is where I could maybe get in trouble.
Caps and extra Swepco on the list
Thanks
yep, meant to add you'll still have steering if you cap off the steering box which is what makes PSC assist the better option IMO

Kenney

Just a FYI, The install of the PSC went great took most of the day. I didn't need to trim or buy anything but I did have an issue with the the Ram pushing to far in both directions causing the aluminum tie rod to flex (a lot), I measured the piston travel and made a spacer nut on the lathe (same as the rod end lock nut but longer and with only a few threads) this new nut limited the close travel and works great. I called PSC and they said they can add a plastic bushing inside the piston if I wanted to but my new spacer nut was good. Thanks everyone for the great comments above happy trails
K

Last edited:
Top Bottom