Proper wheel/tire size

LazyGreek

First off, Let me say Happy New Years everyone!!!!
I’ve been doing my best to learn and my thought process is try to buy once/buy it right the first time even if I costs more. The next two months I will get my lift/wheels done. Probably go to Off-road evolution (for an Evo system) since they are close to me if they take walk in installations. I want to go 37’s (black 19 jlur) probably Km3’s. Now, I don’t like the look of some heels with the tall skinny tire look. I like that balloon type look. I will probably get KMCs (still deciding on bronze tanks or shiny grendades in a 17)

my questions would be, can I get a 12.5 to get the look I’m going for? Or should I only be looking at 13.5’s. And what backspacing should I be needing ? The -11 or -38, what’s the difference?

I’ve gotten a few of the other stuff first before the lift/wheels. Like a winch, some lights, arb air, tools, rotopax/maxtrax.

Also, I can’t afford the $10k lift with, but I’m comfortable for the $5k-$6k on the lift. I want to carry some gear (think a ground tent/fridge type stuff, roof top is too heavy) and still be able to play on the rocks.

thanks in advance for any feedback/help. If anyone in SoCal needs more for their group to on trails, I’m open to join/tag along.

best regards

CalSgt

Hooked
I don’t like the look of some heels with the tall skinny tire look. my questions would be, can I get a 12.5 to get the look I’m going for? Or should I only be looking at 13.5’s.

Wider tires will look more round and ballooned than narrow ones, but either width will work. But the BFG's seem to look shorter and narrower than other brands advertising the same size, I would go wider if running BFG's

And what backspacing should I be needing ? The -11 or -38, what’s the difference?

-11 & -38 is the offset not the backspacing, Backspace and offset are related numbers but are not the same.
Offset = the distance from center of the wheel to where it mounts at the hub shown in MM on most KMC wheels
Backspace = How far inwards the wheel goes towards the jeep from where it mounts, shown in inches on the KMC wheels

In your example though I would bet the -11 offset is for a 3.5" BS wheel and the -38 is a 4.75 BS wheel.
The 4.75" BS will tuck the wheels further under the jeep and make it easier to steer especially while rock crawling.
The 3.5" BS wheel will be harder to turn but are less likely to have rubbing issues and give the jeep a wider stance and appearance.
Factory wheels are like a 6" BS and +40 offset so the wheel is tucked way under the fenders

I ran 4.75" BS wheels and 37x13.50 R17's with 2" of lift on my JLUR with very little rubbing
Also, I can’t afford the $10k lift with, but I’m comfortable for the $5k-$6k on the lift. I want to carry some gear (think a ground tent/fridge type stuff, roof top is too heavy) and still be able to play on the rocks.
Should be no problem, It will squat in the rear when loaded up heavy but still should be plenty capable. I did the Rubicon a few times loaded up real heavy with tools, food ,and gear with a 3.5" EVO lift with no issues.

Upvote 0
With that budget, you can still get a really nice suspension such as the EVO Mfg. 3.5 Enforcer Stage 4 (all 8 control arms) with EVO Spec KING 2.5 Shocks (Part# EVO-3013S4K). Of course you can go with a Stage 2 or 3 to save a little or even go with a KING 2.0 shock option. These kits ride really well and are well made.

For your wheels, the negative offset will change based on the width of the wheel.
For example;
8.5" wide wheel with -38 offset will give 3.25" backspacing.
9" wide wheel with -38 offset will give 3.5" backspacing.

KMC and pretty much all beadlocks I've seen are a 9" wheel and giving 3.5" backspacing.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

LazyGreek

With that budget, you can still get a really nice suspension such as the EVO Mfg. 3.5 Enforcer Stage 4 (all 8 control arms) with EVO Spec KING 2.5 Shocks (Part# EVO-3013S4K). Of course you can go with a Stage 2 or 3 to save a little or even go with a KING 2.0 shock option. These kits ride really well and are well made.

For your wheels, the negative offset will change based on the width of the wheel.
For example;
8.5" wide wheel with -38 offset will give 3.25" backspacing.
9" wide wheel with -38 offset will give 3.5" backspacing.

KMC and pretty much all beadlocks I've seen are a 9" wheel and giving 3.5" backspacing.

Hope this helps!
Thanks ! I was looking last night, a coil over kit wasn't that much more....I know install price would be a bit more.. is that kit overkill ?

Upvote 0
Thanks ! I was looking last night, a coil over kit wasn't that much more....I know install price would be a bit more.. is that kit overkill ?
Yes the install is what will increase the price but you are correct, the parts aren't too far off.

The bolt-on coilovers aren't overkill but really depends on how you drive/use your Jeep. They work just fine as a daily and are a blast in the desert. They provide great travel and give you the ability for basic tuning such as ride height, swapping coil rates and adjusting secondary rings. Of course you can go much further into them but really not needed for most.

They are also fully serviceable/rebuildable.

But don't get me wrong, a good coil/shock lift can still drive and perform well and really accomplish what most are looking for.

Upvote 0

LazyGreek

Yes the install is what will increase the price but you are correct, the parts aren't too far off.

The bolt-on coilovers aren't overkill but really depends on how you drive/use your Jeep. They work just fine as a daily and are a blast in the desert. They provide great travel and give you the ability for basic tuning such as ride height, swapping coil rates and adjusting secondary rings. Of course you can go much further into them but really not needed for most.

They are also fully serviceable/rebuildable.

But don't get me wrong, a good coil/shock lift can still drive and perform well and really accomplish what most are looking for.
THank you in advance for your help....Im very soon to order wheels.....I plan to get the KMC tanks in bronze.... I want the -38 over the -15 ?

Upvote 0
Top Bottom