Places to go off road for a Newbie

mooseworks

Hi Eddie and everyone,
At the age of 77 I am new to the Jeep world (other than using my Jeep as a daily driver). I have a 2018 JLUR which I would like take off road. Eddie, can you recommend some roads or trails around Carson City or Douglas County NV for someone who has never taken his Jeep off the pavement? I live near Kingsbury Grade in Gardnerville.
Thanks, Mike

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Eddie and everyone,
At the age of 77 I am new to the Jeep world (other than using my Jeep as a daily driver). I have a 2018 JLUR which I would like take off road. Eddie, can you recommend some roads or trails around Carson City or Douglas County NV for someone who has never taken his Jeep off the pavement? I live near Kingsbury Grade in Gardnerville.
Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike, what I might recommend is taking a drive along the Carson River just outside of Dayton. Take that out to the old Fort Churchill and spend a day out there exploring the ruins. That's a great way to get started and it'd be a trip you can really see a lot on.

Another great trail that's close to you is the one that takes you to the top of Genoa Peak. Granted, it might still be closed this time of year. But, when it opens, it's beautiful and you'll get to see amazing views of Lake Tahoe. Closer to 50, I would spend some time in the aspens and look for Basquos or arborglyphs. These are old carvings that Basque sheep herders left on the aspens in the area over 100 years ago.

Both of these trails are easy and I think you'll enjoy them.

Upvote 0

mooseworks

Hi Eddie and everyone,
Thanks, Mike
Awesome, thanks Eddie!!

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Newbie question - should I be concerned with airing down to safely tackle either of the trails that you recommended?
The road to Fort Churchill is an easy dirt road and airing down shouldn't be necessary unless you're running over 35 psi. That is way too much for anything really. The trail to Genoa Peak is easy but it can be pretty bumpy. I would recommend airing down to about 15-18 psi just to soften things up.

Upvote 0

Seahawkfan

Hooked
^^ This^^ :cool: So many times I have aired back up to early. Thinking the trail was over, but no there is 2 more miles of the worst dirt road ahead of me. 🤬 I guess I'm not the best navigator.

Upvote 0

squirrelmasta

Awesome! As a new jeep owner (well my wife's) I'm looking for entry level thing just to get out while also looking to do some over landing!

Thanks Eddie and Thank Mike for asking!

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! As a new jeep owner (well my wife's) I'm looking for entry level thing just to get out while also looking to do some over landing!

Thanks Eddie and Thank Mike for asking!
In your neck of the woods, I might take a trip up Hennesse Pass Road or at least, once the snows melt. Great history and it's real pretty there.

Upvote 0

Lesterms

All the way back in 2002 I went on my first Jeep Jamboree. Learned a lot on a safe trip. After about 20 Jeep Jamboree events I have gained a lot of experience & confidence while seeing several great wheeling areas. Well worth the cost. Did not break my Jeep on any of these trips.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom