Paint for Evo skin touch up and Evo sliders

desertrunner

well i did all the prep, primer, and paint on my evo sliders. I ended up using a rust-oleum high heat like engine bay spray can and it turned out WAY more matte than i had hoped. almost looks charcoal grey or the inside of an exhaust pipe. Either way i held them up to the jeep and next to the powder coated Evo skins it just looks stupid. I also need to wire wheel off some chipping coat and surface rust from the skins and touch those up. I was hoping to use the same paint for the sliders and the skin touch up, but there is just no way that finish will look even close.
what type of finish are you guys using on your raw parts that closely matches a powder coat finish? i feel like its somewhere in the realm of a semi gloss but that might be too far?

Seahawkfan

Hooked
well i did all the prep, primer, and paint on my evo sliders. I ended up using a rust-oleum high heat like engine bay spray can and it turned out WAY more matte than i had hoped. almost looks charcoal grey or the inside of an exhaust pipe. Either way i held them up to the jeep and next to the powder coated Evo skins it just looks stupid. I also need to wire wheel off some chipping coat and surface rust from the skins and touch those up. I was hoping to use the same paint for the sliders and the skin touch up, but there is just no way that finish will look even close.
what type of finish are you guys using on your raw parts that closely matches a powder coat finish? i feel like its somewhere in the realm of a semi gloss but that might be too far?
Not sure it will match powder coat. But when did my sliders I used high heat black (forget the brand name). It was something that was supposed to be baked on afterwards. Put it in the sun for a few hours after. Finish was almost like a chalkboard. So found some matte clearcoat. Which made it match my powder coated LOD bumpers damn near perfect.

desertrunner

Not sure it will match powder coat. But when did my sliders I used high heat black (forget the brand name). It was something that was supposed to be baked on afterwards. Put it in the sun for a few hours after. Finish was almost like a chalkboard. So found some matte clearcoat. Which made it match my powder coated LOD bumpers damn near perfect.
yeah i saw the baking instructions on the can and figured i could skip that but a chalk board finish is exactly what it looks like and up against the powder coat it looks terrible. clear coat may not be a bad option to look into though, thanks!

Seahawkfan

Hooked
yeah i saw the baking instructions on the can and figured i could skip that but a chalk board finish is exactly what it looks like and up against the powder coat it looks terrible. clear coat may not be a bad option to look into though, thanks!
I'm pretty sure this is what I used.
Snap31.png
Snap32.png

desertrunner

I'm really digging that bed coating. I like the texture to it too and if it matches the bumper it should match the skins well.
Thanks for the photos I think I'm gonna give that a try!

Bear_JT

Hooked
I'm really digging that bed coating. I like the texture to it too and if it matches the bumper it should match the skins well.
Thanks for the photos I think I'm gonna give that a try!
I really think your going to be much happier with the truck bed coating. The cool thing about it too is the texture helps hide little imperfections. And If all else fails you can sell those sliders and buy mine. Lol!

desertrunner

Finished up painting the sliders with the truck bed coating and it's WAY better turned out awesome. Thanks for the tip.
Now to pull the skins clean off the rust and get those done too

desertrunner

That looks great.. Not a fan of textured parts but that really doesn't look textured. (y)
Nah the texture is really mild. Probably could have held the can back farther to make it more textured but I like the way it turned out. Has a bit of grip too it too which will be nice

Top Bottom