Overland = Car Camping

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Last weekend we went to the Overland Expo East. When I was growing up we called it ’Car Camping’ however it has evolved and has a new name. There is definitely all kinds of cool gear being made now.

In addition to the cool stuff we saw, the ‘Brew Ridge Trail’ is near by. This consists of Virginia route 151 which has a large collection of breweries, wineries, and distilleries. 👍🏻 There was no shortage of excellent beverages!

Here is a small sample of the stuff I saw at the event.

1634084889487.jpeg
If you get this beast stuck you have your work cut out for you.

1634085013392.jpeg
I had a 1978 Cherokee Chief years ago and I wish I still had it!

1634085102668.jpeg
Cool Rover

1634085141297.jpeg

1634085362824.jpeg
Ford was there in force. They had several Broncos parked around as this one was. In addition they had at least 8 available for test drives on a track.

Overall it was a great time.

Jsouder53

Hooked
That Cherokee Chief looks awesome! And yes it’s car camping 🤣 which means before I had a Jeep, I was overlanding in a Prius C lol my wife and I were taking that thing where it wasn’t made to go.

The "Overlanding" thing seems to have originated from Australia. The key thing should be that it involves a multi-day (preferably at least 3 nights) trip primarily driving on unimproved dirt roads or where there is no road at all.

Since "Overlanding" has become a fad in the US, it is often mis-applied to short trips if something like a roof-top tent is involved.

Why Jay

The "Overlanding" thing seems to have originated from Australia. The key thing should be that it involves a multi-day (preferably at least 3 nights) trip primarily driving on unimproved dirt roads or where there is no road at all.

Since "Overlanding" has become a fad in the US, it is often mis-applied to short trips if something like a roof-top tent is involved.

It's like jumping over a puddle and yelling "Parkour!"

Colorado4x4

In the 70s my father had a Chevy Vega with a "hatch top tent?"
When he said "car" camping he meant it.

View attachment 367951
That’s not a roof top tent! That’s a stabbin’ cabin!

I’m going to read through the overlanding thread. I love how Eddie started it in 2012. I know many of you guys have been “overlanding” for years. “Overlanding” for me has always been hunting in Utah, Colorado and New Mexico on forest roads and having to bring all your gear, tent and extra gas. This shit cracks me up

Top Bottom