OPINION PLEASE! Over heated after t-stat install.

rmilobrown

I changed my t-stat while doing oil cooler swap. I bought MOPAR 5184651AH from Amazon. Install went fine, burped and topped off until level was good! About 200 miles on it and she left me on the side of the freeway. After cool down, added coolant and restarted. Tstat did not open so I shut it down. My question is, do I get the same tstat or is there another better unit? Thanks guys.

WJCO

Meme King
Are you 100% sure you did not install it backwards? Any chance there was still air in the system?

rmilobrown

Thanks WJCO, I bought the tstat that's mounted in the plastic housing. The part looked good, I burped it till the level was good over a two day period. Bad part? Scary shit because these 3.6s run HOT too close to the limit! I got it shut down with in seconds after the temp light came on.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Is it a 3.6? There's an air bleed screw on the water pump housing that needs to be opened. I found that out when I got a hole in the lower rad hose and had to change the coolant.

rmilobrown

Hi zimm, yes 3.6 /2015. I knew about the bleed port on the tstat but not the water pump. I have installed another new MOPAR tstat, bled, burped and one short test drive. So far all is well, tstat opened, heater working and no sign of damage when it over heated! I will continue to burp it for a couple of days before any freeway driving. Thanks.

Is it a 3.6? There's an air bleed screw on the water pump housing that needs to be opened. I found that out when I got a hole in the lower rad hose and had to change the coolant.

where is the bleed screw located? anyone have a pic of this?

rmilobrown

Jeep is running great! Tstat opens every time at about 205 deg. The only thing I noticed about the failed MOPAR tstat was the copper colored stem was cocked just Abit. Almost destroyed a good low mileage 3.6 with a $30.00 NIB FACTORY PART!!!😬

Top Bottom