Okay i looking at a jku

grimlin

Alright im lookimg at a 2012 jeep wrangler jku it has 234,800, auto, has life and 35 inch tires. The lady is asking 17,500 is this a good buy or a bad buy plz let me know

WJCO

Meme King
That's a lot of miles. Do you know if the oil cooler has been replaced and do you know if any lifter/cam repairs have been done on it? Also, some of the earlier ones (2012) had defective cylinder heads. I'd definitely be looking at any repair history to see what has been done on it.

Upvote 0

grimlin

That's a lot of miles. Do you know if the oil cooler has been replaced and do you know if any lifter/cam repairs have been done on it? Also, some of the earlier ones (2012) had defective cylinder heads. I'd definitely be looking at any repair history to see what has been done on it.
From what the lady said is she had it for a year and she wants to sell it to get a truck but ahe said everythimg is good on the motor she has been current on oil changes and stuff. She seems to not know anything else bout the motor

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From what the lady said is she had it for a year and she wants to sell it to get a truck but ahe said everythimg is good on the motor she has been current on oil changes and stuff. She seems to not know anything else bout the motor
As mentioned, seems way too high of a price AND as mentioned, 2012 had a lot of issues with bad cylinder heads. Trust me, I've had a 12 and went through 2 of them.

Upvote 0

grimlin

Okay i was told the 07 to 12 were good but 12 and up were better jusr cause of how they are put togerher on the inside and out

Upvote 0

jesse3638

Hooked
Okay i was told the 07 to 12 were good but 12 and up were better jusr cause of how they are put togerher on the inside and out
11 and up have the updated interior. 07-11 have the 3.8l engine paitec with the 4 speed auto and 12-18JK's have the 3.6l with the 5 speed auto. The 18-19 JL's have the 3.6l with the 8 speed auto. 20+ have different motor options. I'd go drive different ones and find out what you want before committing to one single one.

Upvote 0

grimlin

Okay i test road a 07, a 12 and a 21, the 07 have 115 k 12 the 12 was 97 k amd the 21 well really low miles. On thw 07 it has the 3.8, was there any problems with the 3.8

Upvote 0

WJCO

Meme King
was there any problems with the 3.8
Lack of power. If you travel hills/mountains and you're planning on adding bigger tires and building up the Jeep with weight, the 3.8 sucks.
Some of them had rod bearings spin, but we had 205k on ours when we sold it and never had any issues. I was pretty meticulous on the maintenance though.

I would go with the 2021 JL over the others if it meets all of your criteria. The new platform is quieter, more powerful, and more comfortable all day long.

Upvote 0

CalSgt

Hooked
When I was shopping I noticed a decent price hike on the 2012 newer jeeps, I had no experience with the 3.8 or Wranglers in general but the obvious price difference led me to believe the 3.8 wasn't any good.

The biggest problem I encountered shopping for used Jeeps was the amount of them built up with Chinese and just for show parts, it seemed like everyone wanted to tack on retail cost of all the shit parts they had bolted on. I finally said screw it and got a new JL, at least if there are any shit parts on it is my fault for buying them.

Upvote 0

grimlin

Okay i found a 2015 jku it has 91k on it and the guy is asking 31, 995. It has a small lift and tires and wheels and its a automatic

Upvote 0

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Sport? No

Dude buy new. Prices of used gayk’s are stupid. Or if you want used I have a 2017 Rubicon with 80k miles I’ll sell you for $44k.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KevinG

Caught the Bug
Not sure what part of the country you are in, but we sold my wife's 07 JKU X with 120k for $17000 on the lot for the dealer I work at (not a jeep dealer) here in Washington state a few weeks ago. I would like to say it was a fair deal for everyone, but we took the JK in on trade here for $14000 a few years ago and 20k less miles. It's just not fair for consumers, and it's trickled to private party.
I'm not the person to talk someone out of buying a car right now, but if you can wait a while the used car market will correct. It seems like people are freaking out because of lack of inventory. I love selling cars, but right now it makes me feel dirtier than normal. I'd give you the same advice that I have given friends ready to pay through the nose for something used, wait it out if you can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grimlin

Sport? No

Dude buy new. Prices of used gayk’s are stupid. Or if you want used I have a 2017 Rubicon with 80k miles I’ll sell you for $44k.
If i could buy new i would im selling my tj and i habe someone helpimg me pay the difference to get a used new jeep.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom