Oil pan bolt stripped

mstrofpuppets

I was changing my oil and noticed a slight oil leak around the oil pan where it mates to the bottom of the engine. I very carefully tightened a few of the bolts and one was stripped. These are the bolts that hold the oil pan to the timing cover(I think that's what it's called) not the actual drain plug. What are my options to fix this? Thanks!

2011 JKUR, manual trans and some other stuff.....

mstrofpuppets

Here's a pic for clarification,.
e07f4d446996db1011351602df2cb540.jpg

2011JKUR with stuff.....

Sporadic

If you're sure the hole is stripped I would re-tap the hole and replace the bolt with a new one. You should be able to find a tap & die set at a reasonable price at your local auto store.

Sporadic

Others will need to chime in but you may need a new oil pan gasket if replacing the bolt doesn't stop the leak.

mstrofpuppets

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I'll try to retap it, if that doesn't work has anyone used the form a thread that loctite makes?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Others will need to chime in but you may need a new oil pan gasket if replacing the bolt doesn't stop the leak.

This. For me, I never like tightening to solve an already existing leak. If oil made it past the gasket, I would undo all the bolts, clean up the mating surface, new gasket, and put the bolts back.

To my knowledge, MOPAR doesn't offer that gasket. Or any parts for the lower oil pan for that matter for the 3.8 engine. I tried to get the lower pan and gasket for my 2011 and was met with the bad news. The stealership, in its infinite bid for your cash, will, however, sell you the complete upper and lower as an assembly for the low, low price of nearly $200 though.

The good news, perhaps for you, is that with the assembly you get the cast aluminum upper pan which is where you stripped out your bolt hole, should you choose to replace the entire assembly. The bad news is that it looks like there are some bolts that are situated under a portion of the transmission housing, thus rendering this job a considerable pain in the ass. Which leads me to believe this was done by some grand design to get you to pay the stealership, not only for the outrageous cost of the parts, but a considerable bill for labor as well.

I'm only speaking from my limited exposure to this situation as I smashed my oil pan quite well on my last outing and wanted to replace it. If someone else has better knowledge on this, please share. While I have purchased the oil pan skid, I would like to replace my pan at the time of install.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
To my knowledge, MOPAR doesn't offer that gasket. Or any parts for the lower oil pan for that matter for the 3.8 engine. I tried to get the lower pan and gasket for my 2011 and was met with the bad news. The stealership, in its infinite bid for your cash, will, however, sell you the complete upper and lower as an assembly for the low, low price of nearly $200 though.

The good news, perhaps for you, is that with the assembly you get the cast aluminum upper pan which is where you stripped out your bolt hole, should you choose to replace the entire assembly. The bad news is that it looks like there are some bolts that are situated under a portion of the transmission housing, thus rendering this job a considerable pain in the ass. Which leads me to believe this was done by some grand design to get you to pay the stealership, not only for the outrageous cost of the parts, but a considerable bill for labor as well.

I'm only speaking from my limited exposure to this situation as I smashed my oil pan quite well on my last outing and wanted to replace it. If someone else has better knowledge on this, please share. While I have purchased the oil pan skid, I would like to replace my pan at the time of install.

Meh...I never removed the oil pan, just removed those bolts to install my EVO skid, but I can't imagine why you cant use RTV on there.

Meh...I never removed the oil pan, just removed those bolts to install my EVO skid, but I can't imagine why you cant use RTV on there.

I absolutely agree with you. Just passing on some info for the OP.

In my personal situation, I was going to try to bang out the dent then reinstall with the skid. I was a bit surprised to learn I couldn't get a gasket though.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I absolutely agree with you. Just passing on some info for the OP.

In my personal situation, I was going to try to bang out the dent then reinstall with the skid. I was a bit surprised to learn I couldn't get a gasket though.

Curious now (because it sounds like the dealer is clueless)...is there an actual gasket (like a lubelocker) on there from factory or is the oilpan sealed with RTV? Since I removed all the bolts to install my evo skid without draining the oil and the pan held, Im fairly certain that it's RTV and there is no "gasket" you can buy :thinking:

mstrofpuppets

I am going try the helicoil repair kit first. If that does not work (fairly certain it will since everyone has recommended it) I'll try to drill and tap it. Don't really want to but the whole assembly since that cuts into the Jeep fund.

Curious now (because it sounds like the dealer is clueless)...is there an actual gasket (like a lubelocker) on there from factory or is the oilpan sealed with RTV? Since I removed all the bolts to install my evo skid without draining the oil and the pan held, Im fairly certain that it's RTV and there is no "gasket" you can buy :thinking:

I'm thinking you are correct. The only gasket available is the upper pan gasket. $16 at autozone, BTW.

I bought one thinking I would just drop the upper and lower as a unit and bang it out. I was worried that if I just dropped the lower pan and tried to reform it, I might cause a misalignment and a leak where one didn't exist before. When I was under there letting my oil drain for the job is when I noticed the interference of the transmission housing which caused me to scrub the idea.

Back on point though, I think you are correct about the whole lower pan being held by RTV.

Top Bottom