OBD2 - Stand Alone or Bluetooth Adapter / Phone App?

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Thinking about buying a scan tool. Would you spend $60 on a stand alone:

IMG_6340.jpg

Or $30 to $40 for a Bluetooth adapter & app:

IMG_6338.jpg

Whatever I get must have live data. I welcome all opinions!

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I use the bluedriver. It’s Bluetooth and connects to your phone. Interface is really slick and it includes a surprising amount of info like mode6 data, misfire counters per cylinder, etc. I’ve been happy with it.
The live data works well and shows as a trending graph or simply a number. You can find it on amazon too.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TRLJNKY

As stated above the bluetooth adapters are amazing. ObdLink LX is what I have an between the app it comes with and torque is awesome. Its a little cheaper than the bluedriver and has a lot of the same functions. Honestly not sure what the difference is. Go to both websites and check out the features/functions. Its pretty cool what these things can do. Stay away from those cheap ass ones though. Either one of those above though will be a big help for what they cost.

ObdLink also just released updates for Ford, Mazda, and Toyota to where you can read more data from abs, airbags, trans, etc. Sucks they dont have anything for Chrysler yet.

aka cavfighter

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
As stated above the bluetooth adapters are amazing. ObdLink LX is what I have an between the app it comes with and torque is awesome. Its a little cheaper than the bluedriver and has a lot of the same functions. Honestly not sure what the difference is. Go to both websites and check out the features/functions. Its pretty cool what these things can do. Stay away from those cheap ass ones though. Either one of those above though will be a big help for what they cost.

ObdLink also just released updates for Ford, Mazda, and Toyota to where you can read more data from abs, airbags, trans, etc. Sucks they dont have anything for Chrysler yet.

aka cavfighter
Do these type of readers allow you to make any changes like tire size??

TRLJNKY

Do these type of readers allow you to make any changes like tire size??
I know OBDlink wont and Im sure the bluedriver wont as well. They are base readers but do allow you to see pids, realltime data like 02's, fuel trims, and a bunch of other sensor readings. They wont allow you to the diagnosis or change stuff that factory readers can do unfortunatley.

aka cavfighter

TRLJNKY

Still my POS handheld I had cost $120 back in the day and for about $60-70 I can see way more data now with the ease of my phone, tablet, or laptop. It still only gives you a start point.

aka cavfighter

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Still my POS handheld I had cost $120 back in the day and for about $60-70 I can see way more data now with the ease of my phone, tablet, or laptop. It still only gives you a start point.

aka cavfighter
I figured that would be the case but I have zero experience with them so I was curious. Thanks a lot for the info!

bigcale

Caught the Bug
I have a cheap bluetooth reader (cheap, I think it was $10-$15) and I run an app called Torque (free) for general diagnostics and code clearing for friends and family, can read data real time and log data if I need it to.

It is handy but it will not allow me to change tire sizes or any other things on my JK, for that I have a flachcal from superchips.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I have the BlueDriver as well and love it. It’s great because it can read the codes and then gives you a list of fixes. Just used it to trace down a bad ABS wire. It flagged right rear, swapped out the wire and connector and problem solved. The live info is cool, but my aero force gauge gives more information surprisingly.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TRLJNKY

I have a cheap bluetooth reader (cheap, I think it was $10-$15) and I run an app called Torque (free) for general diagnostics and code clearing for friends and family, can read data real time and log data if I need it to.

It is handy but it will not allow me to change tire sizes or any other things on my JK, for that I have a flachcal from superchips.
I ran with two of the cheaper ones before stepping up. The first one stopped working after a cpl months and the second I kept having connectivity issues. Thats what drove me to finally switch to the obdlink. When they worked they worked. I have the obdlink for a year now with no issues between vehicles or devices. I was on the fence between obdlink and bluedriver for a bit. Im not knocking yours if its working by any means but why I personally wont push someone to one after my hiccups.

aka cavfighter

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have a typical scanner I use for my bmw from harborfreight and never had a problem. For the jeep I ended up getting a superchips programmer which also scans codes, for me it was a good upgrade from the procal since it can do a little more and also clear my cel when needed.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I’m leaning toward the Bluetooth adapter thinking that the apps will only get better and there seems to be a boatload of them to choose from. If I don’t like one I can always try another. The hand held, is what it is.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
I ran with two of the cheaper ones before stepping up. The first one stopped working after a cpl months and the second I kept having connectivity issues. Thats what drove me to finally switch to the obdlink. When they worked they worked. I have the obdlink for a year now with no issues between vehicles or devices. I was on the fence between obdlink and bluedriver for a bit. Im not knocking yours if its working by any means but why I personally wont push someone to one after my hiccups.

aka cavfighter

Understandable, I have had varying degrees of success with cheap stuff.

I bought mine about 4 years ago and only use it a few times a year since I traded in my XJ for my JK. While I had my XJ I used it often enough.

If it dies at this point I feel like I have gotten monies worth.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Thanks for all the replies! After doing some more research on the Bluetooth apps, I realized that some of the “free” ones that looked good required varying subscriptions to unlock the full potential of the app. Based on that I choose to order the hand held shown above. I think it will meet all my needs:

IMG_6344.JPG

sm31

Has anyone tried the new OBD JSCAN app? It's on google play... I haven't picked up a bluetooth adapter yet but it looks promising.

Top Bottom