Next Generation JL for JAGS

JAGS

Hooked
Baofeng “hardwire” mod complete.

This likely isn’t for most, but I was really used to my CB set up in my old JK. That was a midland handheld that I modded and mounted to my dash cage crossbar.

Eddie and others sang the praises of the BaoFeng handheld. That was my base. I then figured out that you could replace the antenna with a longer one for better transmission. Why not run cable to the rear and use a hardwired antenna. Did some research from Eddie’s race radio/ACC bar install. Purchased the additional supplies (after some trial and error).

Long story long, it all pieced together perfectly. Not sure if it’s worthy of a write up thread, but here’s some pics and a screenshot of the majority of parts. I’m really happy with how it turned out. Can easily convert back to handheld and remove the mic between trips.

IMG_8389.jpeg IMG_8380.jpeg 62EF4306-2BB9-421F-B568-5446665E93FD.jpeg

This likely isn’t for most, but I was really used to my CB set up in my old JK. That was a midland handheld that I modded and mounted to my dash cage crossbar.

Eddie and others sang the praises of the BaoFeng handheld. That was my base. I then figured out that you could replace the antenna with a longer one for better transmission. Why not run cable to the rear and use a hardwired antenna. Did some research from Eddie’s race radio/ACC bar install. Purchased the additional supplies (after some trial and error).

Long story long, it all pieced together perfectly. Not sure if it’s worthy of a write up thread, but here’s some pics and a screenshot of the majority of parts. I’m really happy with how it turned out. Can easily convert back to handheld and remove the mic between trips.

View attachment 404701 View attachment 404702 View attachment 404703
Awesome job rigging that up! First time I've ever seen this done to a Baofeng and now my handheld Baofeng mounted to my passenger side grab rail is looking at me funny...

jeeeep

Hooked

View attachment 404701 View attachment 404702 View attachment 404703
great idea (y)

It does not look like the setup would work for me given that my near vision is poor without glasses, and the glasses are optimized for reading things which are lower than the horizontal field of view (up is for distance vision). This causes me some concern regarding the CB Bar or mounting the radio high up. Dash level is good for me.

What solutions exist which place the display and buttons lower for people with vision problems?

JAGS

Hooked
It does not look like the setup would work for me given that my near vision is poor without glasses, and the glasses are optimized for reading things which are lower than the horizontal field of view (up is for distance vision). This causes me some concern regarding the CB Bar or mounting the radio high up. Dash level is good for me.

What solutions exist which place the display and buttons lower for people with vision problems?
Ha ha. The great progressive lenses. I have those but my farsightedness must not be as bad. The baofeng sits maybe a foot or so to the right of my head. I can see the channels just fine. I also don’t anticipate needing to change the channels much while driving. The baofeng does tell you “channel 1-2-3” etc when hitting the arrows. You could create a channel guide I guess to look at. All said, this isn’t a problem for me. You might need to get creative for what works for you.

JAGS

Hooked
So two days before heading out on the whiskey wanderlust, I got out my ARB fridge and did some test fitments and power from rear cargo plug. All was well while the Jeep was running.

Noticed after the Jeep being off and getting other things together, the compressor was no longer on. The outlet fuse was in the correct slot for battery power, but also took out and put back in. Same thing kept happening with the compressor.

Did some internet sleuthing and discovered this is an occasional issue. Possibly too much draw on the thin gauge wires to the plug.

“Luckily” for me I remembered I bought an ARB outlet harness many years ago and found it up in a garage shelf.

Nothing like a first time ARB wiring project the night before a big trip. Ran the cable through the plug on the drivers side down to the floorboards and then cleaned things up under the drivers seat. All went smooth and the wiring harness held power 100% of time on the test and also over the course of the week on the wanderlust. 😎🤙

I may find a more permanent location for the outlet, TBD.

IMG_8409.jpeg IMG_8410.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom