Need some help making a build decision

FuriousDz

Hey guys,

So Im looking for some advice, positive or negative thoughts on starting my build. I unfortunately do not have the cash to do it all at once right now but I may be able to split the big stuff between this year and next. Im just trying to figure out which piece to do first or if its best to just keep saving and wait it out til next year . Stuff like armor and bumpers I will do in between here and there. Also if you see anything Im missing that I really should be doing or adding let me know, this is my daily driver BTW. Here is what Im looking to do

lift - EVO MFG 4″ DOUBLE D BOLT ON LONG ARM KIT (kings or rancho 9000's)
wheels - slabs
tires - 37" cooper or toyo mt's (on the fence)
axles - Dynatrac Trail Leader Axle package with 5.13's, ARB lockers and a JE Reel 1350 Front DS

So the problem Im having is do I do the lift, wheels and tires and not wheel it until next year. This sucks because I cant wheel and Id be running 37's on a d30 WITH 3.21's for a while :grayno:
Or I can do the axles/driveline stuff first and drive around with 5.13's and 32" tires which Im sure will feel interesting.

Of course the last option is just continue to hold out until I can do it all at once. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Hard to say. You could run 35's or even 33's for a while. You could mount them on your stock wheels with spacers, then sell them, later.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Yeah I thought about that too. I was just trying to avoid buying tires twice since they arent cheap either. :idontknow:

If you went 35's like that, you could run like that until the tires wear out, if needed, even after the axle upgrade. You could get by with 3.21, even though it wouldn't be great. Just put some C gussets on it. That's just my line of thought.

jorgelrod

Hooked
First real hard question you have to ask yourself is, is next year for buying real, my one year to buy my PR44 turned into 4 as other things in life kinda crept on me, so I bit the bullet and made some half way choices, I regearded even though I knew I would have to spend on gears again when the actual time for the PR44 came, I also did the air locker on the rear when I first regeared so I would basically have everything there done and wouldn't have to deal with it when I would upgrade the front. I gusseted and sleeved the D30 and put a truetrac in there. The last two I could have done without and probably would have helped me get to the PR44 a few months earlier.

On the other hand, if the year is real and you will be able to commit in 2018, just gusset and wheel it just the way it is and go full out in one fell swoop.

My $.02

FuriousDz

First real hard question you have to ask yourself is, is next year for buying real, my one year to buy my PR44 turned into 4 as other things in life kinda crept on me, so I bit the bullet and made some half way choices, I regearded even though I knew I would have to spend on gears again when the actual time for the PR44 came, I also did the air locker on the rear when I first regeared so I would basically have everything there done and wouldn't have to deal with it when I would upgrade the front. I gusseted and sleeved the D30 and put a truetrac in there. The last two I could have done without and probably would have helped me get to the PR44 a few months earlier.

On the other hand, if the year is real and you will be able to commit in 2018, just gusset and wheel it just the way it is and go full out in one fell swoop.

My $.02

Yes, buying next year is real. However as you pointed out there's no way for any of us to guarantee something in life won't come up.

Also I'd rather not throw money at the d30 since it's temporary.

Last edited:

jorgelrod

Hooked
Yes, buying next year is real. However as you pointed out there's no way for any of us to guarantee something in life won't come up.

Then I would wait, your build sounds ambitious, D60's, 8 Lug wheels, 4" lift. That leaves very little room for play on a half build kinda deal. I mean, not without spending coin on some things twice...

FuriousDz

Then I would wait, your build sounds ambitious, D60's, 8 Lug wheels, 4" lift. That leaves very little room for play on a half build kinda deal. I mean, not without spending coin on some things twice...

The trail leader package is a prorock 44 with all the stuff to match the rear 44 axle shafts lockers and gears to match the prorock 44 upfront

Bigjimbo

I've been running a d30 trussed and gusseted on 37s for two years. Finally saved up enough to get my 60s. They are still in good enough condition that I'm able to sell them.

dillard09

If you are looking to do one or the other now and not save to do it all at once I would buy the axles, chop your fender, pick up some cheap 35s on craigslist. I'm sure you can get some cheap that will last a few thousand miles. Then wheel it until you can get the lift, wheels and tires you want.

FuriousDz

If you are looking to do one or the other now and not save to do it all at once I would buy the axles, chop your fender, pick up some cheap 35s on craigslist. I'm sure you can get some cheap that will last a few thousand miles. Then wheel it until you can get the lift, wheels and tires you want.

That's not a bad idea. If I went this route would I need coil spacers to fit 35's on a stock suspension, what about wheel spacers for the stock wheels too?

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
That's not a bad idea. If I went this route would I need coil spacers to fit 35's on a stock suspension, what about wheel spacers for the stock wheels too?

I don't think you'll be able to do spacers with an 8 lug to 5 lug stock pattern to run the stock wheels but I may be wrong. Coil spacers and shock extensions would work with a fender trim for sure. Maybe see about used steel wheels too then sell the whole package later. Or, do axles, wheels and coil spacers with used tires. If this is a daily driver you might even consider running the used tires and steel wheels as a winter set being that you're in New Jersey once you get the good tires and slabs.

Last edited:

dillard09

I don't think you'll be able to do spacers with an 8 lug to 5 lug stock pattern to run the stock wheels but I may be wrong. Coil spacers and shock extensions would work with a fender trim for sure. Maybe see about used steel wheels too then sell the whole package later. Or, do axles, wheels and coil spacers with used tires.
He is staying 5 lug, rite?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
The trail leader package is a prorock 44 with all the stuff to match the rear 44 axle shafts lockers and gears to match the prorock 44 upfront

Didn't see this, you can run either 5 lug bolt pattern spacer/adapter with stock wheels. Running the big 5 lug pattern is good because you can get the dana 60 outers with locking hubs for the front and get the rear axles with the matching bolt pattern.

Top Bottom