Lug nuts

GCM 2

I am changing mine out...

Chris after turning wrenches on EVO1 and EVOTJ, I have decided to follow in their lead and switch my lug nuts out for the ones Mel uses on the race cars. Both rigs are running over the counter style, factory right hand 1/2" threads, but they are extra long, like 2.25" long. Really easy to access quickly, dont have to worry about scuffing up powder coating or using thin walled sockets. Just make sure if you switch to the longer ones you continue to use the tapered style, usually its a 60 degree seat that is the industry standard, the flat seat or any other odd anlged taper could be an issue.

Hightower

Chris after turning wrenches on EVO1 and EVOTJ, I have decided to follow in their lead and switch my lug nuts out for the ones Mel uses on the race cars. Both rigs are running over the counter style, factory right hand 1/2" threads, but they are extra long, like 2.25" long. Really easy to access quickly, dont have to worry about scuffing up powder coating or using thin walled sockets. Just make sure if you switch to the longer ones you continue to use the tapered style, usually its a 60 degree seat that is the industry standard, the flat seat or any other odd anlged taper could be an issue.

Thx Greg that's exactly the info I wanted. Have a good weekend.

Chris

Driver driver GAS!
WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked

do you have pics of these?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Well damn, that's a great idea. Guess I need to pick up some new nuts :crazyeyes: :D

MTG

Caught the Bug
Well damn, that's a great idea. Guess I need to pick up some new nuts :crazyeyes: :D

My factory nuts seem to work just fine. I don't see the need for some fancy after market nuts when the nuts I've had from the beginning work just fine. But hey, what do I know? ;)

OP: whatever nuts you pick...just make sure they are torqued right. Nobody needs a repeat of Moab 2012. :doh:

13JKUR

My factory nuts seem to work just fine. I don't see the need for some fancy after market nuts when the nuts I've had from the beginning work just fine. But hey, what do I know? ;)

OP: whatever nuts you pick...just make sure they are torqued right. Nobody needs a repeat of Moab 2012. :doh:

That's a lot of talk about nuts

i too am still using my OEM lugs and havent had any issues thus far. I do keep them torqued as I dont want my nuts all loose! I do have fancy lock-nuts on my spare though. Keeps people from messing with my nuts and jacking my spare!

andrew -

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

:cheesy: Well said :D

Hightower

OP: whatever nuts you pick...just make sure they are torqued right. Nobody needs a repeat of Moab 2012. :doh:[/yfQUOTE]

I saw all this coming but I was still man enough to post it. :eek: Ps I still fell shame:gaah:

Driver driver GAS!
WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Mr.T

Mine had the stainless cladding damaged -- Some of the cladding was ready to split and come off. A previous owner issue, maybe from a worn/cheap impact socket. :idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Mine had the stainless cladding damaged -- Some of the cladding was ready to split and come off. A previous owner issue, maybe from a worn/cheap impact socket. :idontknow:

I'm assuming you are referring to the cosmetic sleeves that the nuts are wrapped in. You can just remove them as they are not really needed but, your nuts will look plain jane.

Mr.T

I'm assuming you are referring to the cosmetic sleeves that the nuts are wrapped in. You can just remove them as they are not really needed but, your nuts will look plain jane.
Sure, but then it takes an 11/16 socket & breaker bar (instead the 3/4) and our usual is to leave the tools at home when we are nearby. Wifey is a country gal, and I'd be in deep poop if she had to change a tire with a lug wrench that didn't fit. :doh:

GCM 2

Ok, I am not saying anyone has to have the extra long lug nuts ;) but I'm am saying, with all due respect, is that all of you who don't immediately switch to these bigger, better, badder nuts (scientific fact) are just stupid and should probably sell your jeep. Now that I have laid down the scientific data (see last sentence) here are some visual representations for your personal example viewing pleasure:

What you are currently using

image-4104151480.jpg

And what medical offroad scientist have proven you should be using

image-1208626803.jpg

Edit: it has occurred to me that those of you running stock axles probably don't need the extra long lug nuts, after confirming with a panel of scientist, they agreed. The 200lbs brain PhD's broke it down into simple terms; On the Man Size Axles (full float Dana 60's or larger) lug nuts are harder to access due to extended hubs that prevent quick, easy application of sockets, channel locks, vice grips, needle nose pliers (they are scientist and don't quite know about tools)

As seen on full float Man Size Axles running 8 lug pattern

Attachments

• image-355616365.jpg
    image-355616365.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
whoa whoa whoa.... it is science?!?!? well now that i know that i will have to get myself some longer nuts. well that and i dont want to be stupid! :D

andrew -

Top Bottom