Looking to go back to a Wrangler

Why1504

Caught the Bug
I sold my last Wrangler several years ago. It was a JKU Rubicon. I didnt mod it. It was a manual with the V6 and I wasn’t happy with that combo. Even on the interstate I was constantly having to shift. It was a pain. Sold it and bought a corvette. Now I am looking to return to a Jeep.

I am looking at one of the following all most likely in a Rubicon trim but would consider another trim level. I don’t really understand the different trim levels. I do like the rugged look of the Rubicon. I am considering a 2D, Unlimited, or Gladiator body style.

here are the mods I plan:
Front Bumper wand Warn Winch
35“ tires with new wheels
Lift Kit
Back Bumper with tire carrier
possible performance mods
Lighting Upgrades

Any other mods you would suggest???

these are listed in order but would likely do them all after I get 3-5k miles on the vehicle. (Bumper and winch would go on early)

85-90% of my driving will be on road. what ever I do, I want the vehicle to track well and ride well on the street. The budget for the mods would be $10-$20K. If I do this I want to do it the right way with long arms and coil overs.

I enjoy wrenching so I would plan to do the mods myself unless this is not advised. Given the above, what would you guys suggest as my path forward? Where should I look to purchase these parts and what are the best brands to be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Based on what I'm hearing, a Rubicon is definitely a good way to go and will require next to nothing to get you up on 35's. With the automatic and 4.10s, you'll be really happy with how it feels. As far as which to get, I personally would recommend an Unlimited or a Gladiator as it will feel best on pavement and track better than a 2-door.

Upvote 0

WJCO

Meme King
I sold my last Wrangler several years ago. It was a JKU Rubicon. I didnt mod it. It was a manual with the V6 and I wasn’t happy with that combo. Even on the interstate I was constantly having to shift. It was a pain. Sold it and bought a corvette. Now I am looking to return to a Jeep.

I am looking at one of the following all most likely in a Rubicon trim but would consider another trim level. I don’t really understand the different trim levels. I do like the rugged look of the Rubicon. I am considering a 2D, Unlimited, or Gladiator body style.

here are the mods I plan:
Front Bumper wand Warn Winch
35“ tires with new wheels
Lift Kit
Back Bumper with tire carrier
possible performance mods
Lighting Upgrades

Any other mods you would suggest???

these are listed in order but would likely do them all after I get 3-5k miles on the vehicle. (Bumper and winch would go on early)

85-90% of my driving will be on road. what ever I do, I want the vehicle to track well and ride well on the street. The budget for the mods would be $10-$20K. If I do this I want to do it the right way with long arms and coil overs.

I enjoy wrenching so I would plan to do the mods myself unless this is not advised. Given the above, what would you guys suggest as my path forward? Where should I look to purchase these parts and what are the best brands to be looking at?

Thanks in advance.
I own a JLU and a JT. Both on 35s. Both Sports. No lift on the JL and only a leveling kit on the front of the JT (with a warn winch). Both ride/shift way better than a JK. I would highly recommend test driving one of each and go from there.

Upvote 0

Why1504

Caught the Bug
Based on what I'm hearing, a Rubicon is definitely a good way to go and will require next to nothing to get you up on 35's. With the automatic and 4.10s, you'll be really happy with how it feels. As far as which to get, I personally would recommend an Unlimited or a Gladiator as it will feel best on pavement and track better than a 2-door.
I wish the Gladiator had more towing capacity.

Upvote 0

WJCO

Meme King
Thank you both so much. Any recommendations for the bumper?
There are a TON of options out there. I went with a really simple approach with just a warn winch plate. Eddie and Cindy went with an evo quarter pounder, and highwaytrout went with the Rubicon steel shorty bumper. I personally love these looks of the stubby bumper but there are wider ones if you want that too.

thumbnail_jt (3) (1).png 20210307204515-5ac3b0e5-me.jpg 43566B84-241E-42BE-84A3-2C9367496653.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Towing capacity is a bit strange. For example, my jku sahara in Sweden is allowed to tow 4400 pounds. Some jk wranglers over here are allowed to tow 7 700 pound. I think it was mostly the rubicon ones because of the 4.10 axle ratio but there where no concintence on the towing capacities. Sometimes it felt they had rolled a dice because there where no logic. Some Rubicon a year after or before where only allowed to tow about 4 400 pound but in the end it where identical wehicles. 2 doors have always been low here, only 2 200 pound towing capacity.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom