Lightbar to Mopar aux switch question

jorgelrod

Hooked
I'm looking at a small 10 inch light bar for when driving in the boonies, I have a question on connecting to the Mopar Aux switch.
THis is what the manual shows.
Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 9.35.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 9.35.02 AM.png

This is their Wiring Diagram
Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 9.34.29 AM.png

Do I have to connect both the red and blue to the mopar switch lead? The fact that it says Blue wire/Red wire in one and then mention the red wire again on the third one is throwing me off.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Typically, the 3rd or blue wire is to illuminate the switch when on. Otherwise, the switch that's provided should just be a standard 2 position rocker switch. I would loosely wire just the red to the mopar lead, black to ground and test it out. I'm betting that it turns on fine without the blue.

EDIT: I looked more closely at the diagram and see that the blue triggers the relay. Connect both if you want to keep the realy.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Typically, the 3rd or blue wire is to illuminate the switch when on. Otherwise, the switch that's provided should just be a standard 2 position rocker switch. I would loosely wire just the red to the mopar lead, black to ground and test it out. I'm betting that it turns on fine without the blue.

EDIT: I looked more closely at the diagram and see that the blue triggers the relay. Connect both if you want to keep the realy.
Thanks a ton Eddie!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Any reason you want to keep the full harness as opposed to just grounding the light bar and then running the load/power from the lightbar to the appropriate AUX switch power lead?

jorgelrod

Hooked
Any reason you want to keep the full harness as opposed to just grounding the light bar and then running the load/power from the lightbar to the appropriate AUX switch power lead?
No particular reason beyond being a noob with aux lights in general and venturing a bit into installing my own stuff vs having a shop do it for me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is what I was thinking too. Assuming the light bar is LED, there really is no need for the relay, especially if you aren't going to use the provided switch.

kevman65

Hooked
If you're using an Aux switch, all you need from that harness is the black and red wires. Connect red to red at the light, connect black to black at the light. Black ring terminal goes to ground bar beside battery, red ring terminal gets cut off and connect to Aux switch wire.

You don't need the fuse (already fused for Aux switch), you don't need the relay, you don't need their switch. Usually the harness is set up in such a way that all of that can be stripped out and you still keep the outer protective covering.

Top Bottom