Light bars

MericaMade

I
I think the top of windshield light bars cast too much light onto the hood and the glare actually makes it harder to see at night. Plus they whistle and make a lot of noise.
This ^^^. There are some good hoop or bumper mount options from Baja.

The BAD Influence

I've been stuck on Golden Spike and Cliffhanger at night, because a member of our group broke something. Getting out, the only Jeep that was able to use any of his lights was the leader. If anyone else turned on their light bars, it just blinded everyone in front.
Those of us that could, turned our amber lights on, but pointed them down, directly in front of our Jeeps, and used our rock lights.
Anyway, not a fan of any kind of light bar. Get some pods that you can easily aim if needed.

Brute

Hooked
I've been stuck on Golden Spike and Cliffhanger at night, because a member of our group broke something. Getting out, the only Jeep that was able to use any of his lights was the leader. If anyone else turned on their light bars, it just blinded everyone in front.
Those of us that could, turned our amber lights on, but pointed them down, directly in front of our Jeeps, and used our rock lights.
Anyway, not a fan of any kind of light bar. Get some pods that you can easily aim if needed.
One of the few mods I have regretted was a light bar…

I think the top of windshield light bars cast too much light onto the hood and the glare actually makes it harder to see at night. Plus they whistle and make a lot of noise.
Quit waxing your Jeep and it won’t be a problem 🤣.

My new single row bar doesn’t whistle at all, doesn’t have any fins on the back. The shitty mounts that come away from the body whistle like crazy, don’t buy those mounts, those mounts can suck a _____. I’ve honestly never had any glare at all off my hood even when it’s clean, and yes only front people get to use it on a trail, I use mine for backroads (deer) random farm shit (just need light) construction shit that takes longer than you planned. Emergency lighting (accidents) and once in a great while night wheeling. Etc etc. I find it quite handy, if it’s just going on a dedicated wheeler, meh.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've run a lego block style light bar in the past and it whistled. Tilt it down when not in use and it wasn't too bad. I now run a KC Gravity Pro 6 old school round light bar setup and like it a lot. No whistle but you can hear air passing over them at highway speeds. No worse than a roof rack though.

20210424125045-2bdb3a36-me.jpg

As far as hood glare goes, I can't say that I see much of that or at least, not enough to bother me the way some a-pillar lights will. Not really a fan of hood lights and for the reasons mentioned. Just my 2¢

theexpozay

Has anyone tried the In cabin mounted light bars? I like the idea of light bar being concealed but I am worried about effectiveness and light leakage. Also not having the ability of adjust them is worrisome.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Has anyone tried the In cabin mounted light bars? I like the idea of light bar being concealed but I am worried about effectiveness and light leakage. Also not having the ability of adjust them is worrisome.
I have some interior mounted lights in my work vehicle and they are a real pain in the ass at night. They reflect on the windshield and cast light all over. I wouldn’t recommend interior mounts.

theexpozay

I have some interior mounted lights in my work vehicle and they are a real pain in the ass at night. They reflect on the windshield and cast light all over. I wouldn’t recommend interior mounts.
Bear, thank you for that insight. Maybe they are better in theory then practice?

Last edited:

TonyT

Caught the Bug
Like others have said, unless you're up front it's best to keep the lumens down, and low.

I used to talk all kinds of garbage about lightbars until I rode in rig in the middle of the night working our way through access roads at a good pace. A quality light with a good beam was critical to us finding the turn offs. I really like the lights from Rigid, and Baja industries, so I'd suggest any of their offerings that fit your budget and style.

Myself, I barely clear the garage as it is, so I use the RIGID industries double A-Pillar mounts with the Side Shooter pods (white/driving beam) up top, and the Rigid D-Series pods (Amber/with amber lens covers) underneath. Unless I'm up front, when the sun goes down, the bottom ambers are plenty. I rarely use the Side Shooters at all.

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 4.44.07 PM.png

TonyT

Caught the Bug
Came across a short clip from a typical night run. RGB Lux Rock Lights underneath set to Red and Rigid D-Series amber lights up front.

CalSgt

Hooked
Like others have said, unless you're up front it's best to keep the lumens down, and low.

I used to talk all kinds of garbage about lightbars until I rode in rig in the middle of the night working our way through access roads at a good pace. A quality light with a good beam was critical to us finding the turn offs. I really like the lights from Rigid, and Baja industries, so I'd suggest any of their offerings that fit your budget and style.

Myself, I barely clear the garage as it is, so I use the RIGID industries double A-Pillar mounts with the Side Shooter pods (white/driving beam) up top, and the Rigid D-Series pods (Amber/with amber lens covers) underneath. Unless I'm up front, when the sun goes down, the bottom ambers are plenty. I rarely use the Side Shooters at all.

View attachment 366586
I'll second buying a quality name brand light... The 20" rigid on my RZR is 7 years old & will wash out brand new 40" Chinese knock offs in brightness, color and distance all night long.

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
I have a bad taste about bar lights. It’s probably because I live in one of the best lit cities in the world and every jerkoff who has one zip tied to his grill has to have the thing on, even in broad daylight.
I did the dual cowels. Flood up top angled to the sides which give me a lot of side view and no hood wash. Spot lights low facing forward. No problems.
Bar lights are like the angry birds grill to me. The 2 Jeep mods I hate the most.

BountyHunter77

Thank you all for the great feedback. Just got everything wired up to the aux switches and totally fell in love when I turned everything on.

Attachments

• 20210902_104527.jpg
    20210902_104527.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 35
Top Bottom