JT Emissions Recall

kevman65

Hooked
I had received an email from CarFax about this, but waited until I received a letter from JEEP.

There IS a recall for JT's. There is a time frame and I'm not sure of the run dates.

This has to do with the misfire issues.

Seems the system computer doesn't see a misfire as a Code issue so it doesn't log the event (Why dealers can find no problems)
This Recall is supposedly a reflash so the OBD II/computer KNOWS the misfire is a problem and to fire off a code and log it in the system.

WJCO

Meme King
I get a stumble, rough idle only at idle like sitting at lights. Once I take off, it's gone. I wonder if this recall would be related.

kevman65

Hooked
I get a stumble, rough idle only at idle like sitting at lights. Once I take off, it's gone. I wonder if this recall would be related.

That is one of the minor complaints some have brought up. Labeled as misfire and taken to dealer. But with no codes or logs and unable to replicate it, dealers just logged the issue into their system and sent people on their way.

Reading between the lines in both the email and the letter, this causes emissions issues and the error logs in the JT should be recording them but isn't recognizing it as an error. Evidently JEEP looked into it after so many customer complaints but no CEL or code and were able to reproduce the problem AND found which computer code needed tweaking.

Again, I think there is a build time frame this involves but don't know the dates covered.

sunnysideup

They told me about this fix about 6 weeks ago and re-flashed the computer at my dealer, they said it was for the misfire logging issue. My JT was a Sept 19 build... so it was on the list.

WJCO

Meme King
I just had this done. I haven't really paid attention to the little rpm stumble since I got it done so not sure if it's still there or not.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Well shit I never knew about a recall… but occasionally I’ll get a rough idle after a cold startup.. wonder if this is the cause. Never hear it after a little rpm though.

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
The dealer wrapped this up for me a few weeks ago - was a quick reflash haven't really noticed much if any difference.

WJCO

Meme King
My rough idle is still there. Had nothing to do with the recall I guess. It's barely noticeable and isn't always there so I'm not too worried about it for now.

TrailHunter

Hooked
My rough idle is still there. Had nothing to do with the recall I guess. It's barely noticeable and isn't always there so I'm not too worried about it for now.
This is a long shot... but my F150 has the auto start/stop and I feel like the computer gets it to idle so low that sometimes it's right on the brink of a rough idle... I'm guessing to help with the auto stop.... But there is a plug under the dash that when pulled, it shuts the auto start/stop off... And then it idles perfect.

WJCO

Meme King
This is a long shot... but my F150 has the auto start/stop and I feel like the computer gets it to idle so low that sometimes it's right on the brink of a rough idle... I'm guessing to help with the auto stop.... But there is a plug under the dash that when pulled, it shuts the auto start/stop off... And then it idles perfect.
I have the auto start/stop disabled already.

TrailHunter

Hooked
You can push the button on the dash to turn it off temporarily.
So can I… totally different result.

When I pull a specific wire on my F150, its off for good. Never have to hit the button again. And I believe that wire is connected to the trailer hookups… because when I tow, I need to plug it back in for the trailer lights to work. But when towing (trailer harness plugged it) the auto stop/start stays off as well.. and it idles perfect.

kevman65

Hooked

That's a different notice, but surprised they didn't do it while in for the other.

I haven't had symptoms for either, so I haven't taken it in. My closest dealer is one of those that wants to schedule everything 14 days later and they "might" get to it that day. Yet if I stop in at parts counter, the garage is all but empty except for oil changes and tire rotations.

That's a different notice, but surprised they didn't do it while in for the other.

I haven't had symptoms for either, so I haven't taken it in. My closest dealer is one of those that wants to schedule everything 14 days later and they "might" get to it that day. Yet if I stop in at parts counter, the garage is all but empty except for oil changes and tire rotations.
My dealership (selected based on proximity) needs six days before they start on anything beyond "service" things such as oil change and tire rotation. After 4 visits to fix a rattle in the left front fender (amounting to two months total duration) they had replaced my brand new sway bar links and added 3 nylon zip ties (one zip tie per visit). So the rattle is still there and the 3 year warranty is over. Do all dealerships suck this bad? 😡

kevman65

Hooked
My dealership (selected based on proximity) needs six days before they start on anything beyond "service" things such as oil change and tire rotation. After 4 visits to fix a rattle in the left front fender (amounting to two months total duration) they had replaced my brand new sway bar links and added 3 nylon zip ties (one zip tie per visit). So the rattle is still there and the 3 year warranty is over. Do all dealerships suck this bad? 😡

My personal opinion, dealerships don't have "Master Mechanics" anymore. They save money and get "Automotive Technicians" and in most cases it seems like they are just parts changers and can't diagnose anything.

Back in the day, these techs were known as "Shadetree Mechanics".

Top Bottom