JLURubicon Steer assist

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Has anyone here put hydraulic assist on their JL Rubicon? I have 2.0L and I would suspect applications are not the same as the V6, but I do not know for sure.

WJCO

Meme King
Has anyone here put hydraulic assist on their JL Rubicon? I have 2.0L and I would suspect applications are not the same as the V6, but I do not know for sure.
I don't know the answer but out of curiosity, what size tires are you running now? And do you feel the need for hydro?

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I don't know the answer but out of curiosity, what size tires are you running now? And do you feel the need for hydro?
WJCO, I presently have 37's. I have never had hydro assist so I do not know if I 'need' or not. I can tell you that when wheeling where I do, it would be nice to be able to turn the wheels with out having to go back n forward. My presumption is that is exactly what hydro assist is for?
I have read many peoples opinions on it, and there may be more cons than pro's for me. I don't know.

WJCO

Meme King
WJCO, I presently have 37's. I have never had hydro assist so I do not know if I 'need' or not. I can tell you that when wheeling where I do, it would be nice to be able to turn the wheels with out having to go back n forward. My presumption is that is exactly what hydro assist is for?
I have read many peoples opinions on it, and there may be more cons than pro's for me. I don't know.
37s do ok on the street otherwise? And you have a Rubicon correct?

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
37s do ok on the street otherwise? And you have a Rubicon correct?
They are fine on the street and yes a Rubicon. I am not looking for ram assist because of drivability on street. But because I often cannot turn when flexed out on a obstacle.

MericaMade

Looking at the SK502-44 for the 2.0 on PSC site the only thing I see different are that pulleys that are included, and it says a "Tazer will need to be purchased to override the OEM electro-hydraulic pump functions when installing the PSC High Flow Mechanical Pump Conversion Kit ". Other than that, it looks like the install of my JK.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Looking at the SK502-44 for the 2.0 on PSC site the only thing I see different are that pulleys that are included, and it says a "Tazer will need to be purchased to override the OEM electro-hydraulic pump functions when installing the PSC High Flow Mechanical Pump Conversion Kit ". Other than that, it looks like the install of my JK.
I have the Tazer. Are you happy with what you have? Pros cons?

MericaMade

I have the Tazer. Are you happy with what you have? Pros cons?
For me I have 40's on a JK so it’s different, but yes absolutely love it. Prior when running 37's many times I was told turn driver and was like, it's not gonna happen LOL. The PSC to me makes the jeep steering feel great and enjoyable for DD. After the last Utah trip putting about 1000 mile on the Jeep, I got home and jumped into my 2018 F150 and was like OMG the steering on the truck is hard compared to the Jeep on 40s.

CONS: The hose routing but once you figure it out its all good.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
For me I have 40's on a JK so it’s different, but yes absolutely love it. Prior when running 37's many times I was told turn driver and was like, it's not gonna happen LOL. The PSC to me makes the jeep steering feel great and enjoyable for DD. After the last Utah trip putting about 1000 mile on the Jeep, I got home and jumped into my 2018 F150 and was like OMG the steering on the truck is hard compared to the Jeep on 40s.

CONS: The hose routing but once you figure it out its all good.
Thanks for feedback!!
May have 40's sooner than later, but cannot make up my mind. I am sure steering will be the same as far as not being able to turn while flexed w/out ram assist. I have read many negative things on PSC customer service. If they are only option for JL, I may refrain until someone else steps up and makes a quality product and has GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE!

MericaMade

Thanks for feedback!!
May have 40's sooner than later, but cannot make up my mind. I am sure steering will be the same as far as not being able to turn while flexed w/out ram assist. I have read many negative things on PSC customer service. If they are only option for JL, I may refrain until someone else steps up and makes a quality product and has GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE!
That wasn’t my experience with them, and I haven’t read that stuff either, but I will say they are tested and proven to work over and over again.

CalSgt

Hooked
I've been debating on the PSC system too, when I had 4.75" BS wheels turning while on obstacles was a little difficult but now that I put the wheel spacers in too it is damn near impossible to turn while wheeling.

I have also been thinking about the apex kit which boosts the pressure out of the factory pump. A guy down the street just bought the Apex system so I am going to see what he says about it.

https://www.apexdesignsusa.com/coll...t-kit-jl-jt-compatible?variant=32964182933551

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I've been debating on the PSC system too, when I had 4.75" BS wheels turning while on obstacles was a little difficult but now that I put the wheel spacers in too it is damn near impossible to turn while wheeling.

I have also been thinking about the apex kit which boosts the pressure out of the factory pump. A guy down the street just bought the Apex system so I am going to see what he says about it.

https://www.apexdesignsusa.com/coll...t-kit-jl-jt-compatible?variant=32964182933551
Cool, interested to hear what he has to say.

From article:
"With aftermarket performance parts and harder use, the stock pressures and lack of cooling ability become an issue. We have found that the factory power steering is capable of running at a higher pressure with ease."

I would like to know how this was determined.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I did some homework...my friend in Utah says this Apex guy is a solid guy. I take stock in friends word...for what it's worth. He has been doing this jeepin thing for a long time.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Same person mentioned West Texas Off Road. They do the Red Neck Rams and have a kit for JL. Lot less expensive than PSC,

MericaMade

Just out of curiosity have you called or dealt with PSC firsthand? That Apex kit looks like it only adds a higher flow valve and cooler to the stock setup. You will just be adding extra strain on the stock sector shaft which is signifyingly smaller and weaker compared to the PSC.

Are you thinking of doing the APEX and the red neck ram together?

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Just out of curiosity have you called or dealt with PSC firsthand? That Apex kit looks like it only adds a higher flow valve and cooler to the stock setup. You will just be adding extra strain on the stock sector shaft which is signifyingly smaller and weaker compared to the PSC.

Are you thinking of doing the APEX and the red neck ram together?
MericaMade...I don't know what I am doing yet that is why I started the thread. Throwing things out there and listening to all the feedback. I do quite of bit of research before making big change or upgrade. I don't get caught up in all the hoopla we all see about this product or that. I try to look at pros and cons for all when making a big change and financial commitment.

MericaMade

MericaMade...I don't know what I am doing yet that is why I started the thread. Throwing things out there and listening to all the feedback. I do quite of bit of research before making big change or upgrade. I don't get caught up in all the hoopla we all see about this product or that. I try to look at pros and cons for all when making a big change and financial commitment.
I get that and as someone who has done all this prior and wheeled with a lot of guys on here who run the PSC I am trying to help you with your question. PSC in a solid kit, its well thought out, works, and allows you to run 40s and turn on pavement with one finger. Its great in the rocks and parts can be acquired at local hydro shop and most off-road shops. You are paying more but get a lot out of PSC and there is no hoopla, it’s just been proven time and time again that it works.

I pulled up the install instruction for Apex and the first thing that jumps out is (will not warranty or be held liable for anything sine they can not assure system was installed correctly.) That leads me to believe they don’t stand behind their product and will say it’s your fault when their product fails. Yes, they claim will work on 39s but again the stock steering box was not designed to do that.

Another route you can look at is just upgrade to the PSC XD box with ports and wait to run Hydro down the line. The XD box alone will help with steering and strength. If you decided to go 40s down the road you can then buy the ram and hoses and add it to the system.

Fury22

They are fine on the street and yes a Rubicon. I am not looking for ram assist because of drivability on street. But because I often cannot turn when flexed out on a obstacle.
What do you mean about driveability of ram assist of the street? It drives fine on the road

Top Bottom