JLU to JT

upnover

Who has made the switch? Was it worth it?
Would you do the 3.6 or 3.0 if you had to do it over again?

thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I could only choose one, I would definitely get a JT. The 3.0L is really nice and I personally may have gone with it if it were offered at the time I got my JT but I've been happy with my 3.6L

Dale72

Hooked
If I could only choose one, I would definitely get a JT. The 3.0L is really nice and I personally may have gone with it if it were offered at the time I got my JT but I've been happy with my 3.6L
The main reason why I wouldn't get the 3.0 is the emission BS. The trucking industry has been dealing with it since 2010 and 90% of my break downs is because of the emission system.

WJCO

Meme King
Who has made the switch? Was it worth it?
Would you do the 3.6 or 3.0 if you had to do it over again?

thanks!
I have the JT in a 3.6. Love it.

I have actually run into two people that had a JT in a 3.6 and now have a 3.0, one traded it in when the diesel was available and now has a JT 3.0. The other got in a serious accident and went with a 3.0 the 2nd time around. Both said they like the 3.0 more than their previous 3.6 . Just some food for thought.

Personally like Dale said, I can't stand all the emissions bullshit that diesel engines have to comply with and I wouldn't buy one. I've worked on newer diesels in general and there's just too much foo foo shit on them that breaks that is only there to comply with emissions standards.

upnover

I had a ‘20 ram with the 3.0 and had two def pump problems in 20k miles. That is one of the reasons I am leaning back towards a 3.6.

I have a 4xe now. It’s not bad but I at times miss a truck bed, but do enjoy the maneuverability of the JLU.

coulding be moving to the beach towns of Cali north of Long Beach, not sure if parking a truck is a PITA there.

Not sure this will help being that I haven’t gotten ours yet. But, a few weeks ago we ordered a JLUR with the 3.6 but after recently seeing how well the gladiators actually wheel and more importantly, talking to Mel and Eddie about theirs, we changed our order to a JTR with the 3.0 (dealership we worked with was a major help in getting that sorted). I’m very impressed with the JT just from seeing it first hand and, the range and torque of the 3.0 is a major factor for me. Not having to re-gear and run a 38” is very appealing.

Dale72

Hooked
Not sure this will help being that I haven’t gotten ours yet. But, a few weeks ago we ordered a JLUR with the 3.6 but after recently seeing how well the gladiators actually wheel and more importantly, talking to Mel and Eddie about theirs, we changed our order to a JTR with the 3.0 (dealership we worked with was a major help in getting that sorted). I’m very impressed with the JT just from seeing it first hand and, the range and torque of the 3.0 is a major factor for me. Not having to re-gear and run a 38” is very appealing.
When you get it just don't let the DEF tank get below half a tank

Dale72

Hooked
And you can get def from the pump at truck stops. It costs around $15 for the 2.5 gallon jug from inside. You can get almost 4 gallons at the pump for that

Dale72

Hooked
I’ve been researching that and I appreciate the heads up. If there is one thing that I’m nervous about it’s dealing with the DEF.
The reason is there is a screen inside of it. And if you let it get below the screen to much it will crystallize and clog up. And the dealer is the only one that can clean it

onlyone

Went to the JT. I cant say I would ever go back to the V6. Although a great little engine, almost bulletproof, once you get used to the power of the diesel there’s no going back. The JT has quite a bit better ride quality as you would expect. The diesel power is addictive when you’re used to the V6. I guess you can ask yourself the question, who has ever “upgraded“ to the V6? I also run the Def down pretty low with zero issues. Even out wheeling. Not sure that’s a widespread ”thing”.

One thing you should know about the diesel. The bumpstops are an inch longer. I would suggest if lifting to add another inch of lift to compensate. It’s not well known. You will bottom out in stock form on big bumps. I cut mine and added King bumpstops for adjustability.

Last edited:

Dale72

Hooked
Went to the JT. I cant say I would ever go back to the V6. Although a great little engine, almost bulletproof, once you get used to the power of the diesel there’s no going back. The JT has quite a bit better ride quality as you would expect. The diesel power is addictive when you’re used to the V6. I guess you can ask yourself the question, who has ever “upgraded“ to the V6? I also run the Def down pretty low with zero issues. Even out wheeling. Not sure that’s a widespread ”thing”.

One thing you should know about the diesel. The bumpstops are an inch longer. I would suggest if lifting to add another inch of lift to compensate. It’s not well known. You will bottom out in stock form on big bumps. I cut mine and added King bumpstops for adjustability.
It will happen. When it does and go's into limp mode, you will lose power and will not go over a certain speed. On my truck it won't go over 55. After that you are sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck

Dale72

Hooked
When they first put the def systems on our trucks. The trucking company's told drivers to wait until it was low before filling it but not anymore

onlyone

It will happen. When it does and go's into limp mode, you will lose power and will not go over a certain speed. On my truck it won't go over 55. After that you are sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck
Do you own a diesel gladiator?

onlyone

I’ve been with FedEx for 23 years and have only had a Def issue one time. The sensor was bad. It happens but that’s an entirely different animal and with heavy duty trucks and lots of different retards driving them I would expect things to happen. Do you think any of these drivers would be honest and say they ran it out of Def? Hell no. They ran it out of Def.

Dale72

Hooked
Do you own a diesel gladiator?
Just because it's a gladiator has nothing to do with it. It has a diesel engine which I have been dealing with for 28 years. The def tanks are made by the same manufacturer for all diesel engines

Dale72

Hooked
So you don’t own one then and have never experienced a def issue in a Gladiator or a JL diesel?
Again it has a diesel engine. Just because it's a gladiator has nothing to do with it. The emission systems are all the same

Top Bottom