JL Front U-joint Break?

Colorado4x4

I have a JK but I was curious. Say you’re wheeling and break a front driveshaft u-joint. You can get off the trail in 2 wheel drive. With the FAD system, shouldn’t you be able to just put it in 2WD and drive out? Or do the outer shafts still spin but isolate the differential from turning?

JimLee

Hooked
I have a JK but I was curious. Say you’re wheeling and break a front driveshaft u-joint. You can get off the trail in 2 wheel drive. With the FAD system, shouldn’t you be able to just put it in 2WD and drive out? Or do the outer shafts still spin but isolate the differential from turning?

CalSgt

Hooked
Yup outers still spin, the ears on mine were busted open and bent to where they chewed up the aluminum knuckle in the 10 feet i had to move to get off of the obstacle. I was glad to have a grinder with me to cut them down before I drove back to camp or the bolt heads for the unit bearing would have been toast

I should have gotten a picture of the outer stub shaft but only have one of the other side

IMG_6211.jpg

Colorado4x4

Thanks guys. There’s some JLs that have started coming wheeling with us and they probably could change a tire, so I wanted to see what to do when they break a shaft. 🙏

CalSgt

Hooked
Thanks guys. There’s some JLs that have started coming wheeling with us and they probably could change a tire, so I wanted to see what to do when they break a shaft. 🙏
I left the brakes assembled, removed the three unit bearing bolts, then lifted the whole rotor assembly up and out of the way to reach in and pull The broken inner shaft. Then plugged the axle tube with a ball of aluminum foil wrapped in cling wrap to keep water and dirt out and gear oil in.

if someone breaks the FAD side I would recommend pulling the FAD motor to remove the inner shaft and lock collar too.

Top Bottom