JK not able to put gas / Fuel inlet problems

Zilla

ive been having fueling issues for almost 2 years but recently it has gotten to where it will take none.

1. fixed cracked evap fitting on top of fuel tank
2. i have replaced the evap canister as it was clogged.
3. i seen the fuel inlet valve and cycled it with a screwdriver and this seemed to fix my issue for 2 fill ups.

now currently at the moment it will not take any gas, and spews it out even at the slowest setting.

thru numerous internet searching, i have seen older wranglers remove the inlet check valve and dremel it smooth to prevent hanging up.
ive also seen the aluminum inlet valve from gm.

has anyone with a jk dropped the tank and resolved this with any methods mentioned above?
i know there were recalls on 07/08 and some will say replace the tank. (build date 03/09 on mine)
ive had plans for a while to do the genright fuel cell but that wont be till my axles are done. unless i have no other way to fill up in that case it gets moved forward.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From what I've seen, if you have the filler problem now, it'll only be worse with the Genright tank. I have had the TSB done on my 07 JK year ago and it helped.

Zilla

The Genright tank does not use the same fill/ roll over valve so it would fix the issue.
just to be sure i explained it well.
When you take the filler tube off and look in the tank, there is a sprung valve inside there that gets stuck and does not move freely down to let gas in. if it rolls im assuming its job is to close the tank off, well mine is currently closed.

now I thought about removing the sprung valve (technically breaking it) but i do not want fuel to fill up the filler tube and possibly leak out. during trail runs.
i have the 07/08 filler tube even though I have a 2009. so i do not have the TSB replacement tube, although that is not my main issue.

I will buy the filler tube as its not ideal for gas to spew out.

i do not know if the new filler tube is supposed to be its replacement in the older tanks. just an external version.
if so i will install the new Filler tube and remove the current one from in the tank.

Top Bottom