Jeep JL Star/stop system failed!!

sayomrockon

FEFC0416-48B1-44C9-8BBF-7BF4DC492DBC.jpeg

Hey I have 3.6 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL. I drive it daily never had an issue with. Today at traffic light the start stop system failed to start my Jeep. I tried to start it there is no starter sound from engine bay. I tried jump starting, charging battery, no codes; everything seems to fine. Anyone have idea what is wrong please reply thank you. Also it has brand new batteries.

Jsouder53

Hooked
I had a feeling those stupid systems would fail at some point. I had an auto start/stop behind me yesterday and it sounded rough when restarting.

JimLee

Hooked
You wouldn't happen to have an aftermarket dual batt system would you? The reason I ask is that on the Genesis system the start stop system will error out after a number of ESS stops/restarts (can't remember the actual number, I think it's 6 or 7). I permanently disabled that system within 1 month of buying my JL, also the 2018's seem to have the most problems with that system, there is a software update that prevents a dead aux batt from not allowing your Jeep to start, have you had that done? I wouldn't bank on the fact that your batteries are new, that little barbie car batt they put in the aux slot is known garbage, and on a 2018 without the software update a dead aux battery will not allow the starter to engage (the starter relay circuit is only activated by the aux batt, unless as I said you have the software update or a jumper on the high amp buss bar).

jesse3638

Hooked
You wouldn't happen to have an aftermarket dual batt system would you? The reason I ask is that on the Genesis system the start stop system will error out after a number of ESS stops/restarts (can't remember the actual number, I think it's 6 or 7). I permanently disabled that system within 1 month of buying my JL, also the 2018's seem to have the most problems with that system, there is a software update that prevents a dead aux batt from not allowing your Jeep to start, have you had that done? I wouldn't bank on the fact that your batteries are new, that little barbie car batt they put in the aux slot is known garbage, and on a 2018 without the software update a dead aux battery will not allow the starter to engage (the starter relay circuit is only activated by the aux batt, unless as I said you have the software update or a jumper on the high amp buss bar).
This was a concern of mine on our 21. I'm not a huge fan of th auto start stop. However I did learn that if my HVAC blower is above 3 or 4 it disables the start stop as it sees we're trying to heat or cool the cabin.

JimLee

Hooked
This was a concern of mine on our 21. I'm not a huge fan of th auto start stop. However I did learn that if my HVAC blower is above 3 or 4 it disables the start stop as it sees we're trying to heat or cool the cabin.
Get an "auto start/stop eliminator" or similar device, it goes in line with your security gateway and remembers your last button push on the disable button. Install, push button to disable, and never have to push again. Some won't ship to California, but I found one that would, if you are interested I can dig up details on which one I got. Once you've got it disabled you will see that it doesn't really save you any gas to leave it enabled, unless you drive in heavy city traffic regularly. I wish I could rip the whole system, wiring and all, out of my Jeep but it would drive the computers crazy I'm sure, it's tied into so many systems.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
I hate the auto start/stop, it’s a solution to a non existent problem.

Like WJCO, I use a Tazer Mini to disable that crap. That feature alone paid for the device.

Z-Automotive who makes the Tazer also sells an extension cable that makes it way easier to remove the Tazer for dealer visits- if needed.

JT@623

Hooked
You can unplug it under the hood the two plungers on the drivers side I think it’s the drivers side plug . You will get a light on the dash but the start stop won’t be active

4PLAY

Yup, start-stop continuously engaging the starter and manufactures tell you with a straight face that it will not cause premature failure...Not really the manufactures fault however as government mandated CAFE standards (worse under the Clown Show currently in Washington) force them into lying...

sayomrockon

So its over 36k so its not covered under warranty. Dealer said the starter motor went out which is ridiculous because it has only 50k on it. Got it fixed spending $$ and last week again same thing happened. This time they said the start connector broke 😡. Planning to trade this Jeep in for a 4xe, Jeep is life.. always owned Jeeps… I WOULD RECOMMEND ANYONE WITH JLs 3.6L to disable the start stop before it breaks down out in remote..

WJCO

Meme King
So its over 36k so its not covered under warranty. Dealer said the starter motor went out which is ridiculous because it has only 50k on it. Got it fixed spending $$ and last week again same thing happened. This time they said the start connector broke 😡. Planning to trade this Jeep in for a 4xe, Jeep is life.. always owned Jeeps… I WOULD RECOMMEND ANYONE WITH JLs 3.6L to disable the start stop before it breaks down out in remote..
I've disabled that communist function since the beginning.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
im surprised it wasn’t covered under powertrain warranty.

Top Bottom