Jeep JK Wrangler Unit Bearing Replacement Write-Up

USMC Wrangler

Excellent write-up and commentary. Thank you for that.

I replaced both wheel bearings on my 12 JKUR and things went together without issue. I also had new u-joints pressed in both front axle shafts while it was apart, replaced brake pads and complete brake fluid flush/bleed.

At start up, the ABS and TC light popped up and remained after d/c the battery briefly. Went for a short drive and all lights off so I'm feeling okay there.

The problem I'm having is a pretty noticeable pull to the left after installing the wheel bearing, etc. I'm not entirely sure how this item would impact my steering. Any ideas or suggestions?

Maybe your steering wheel was recentered when you bearings were bad and it needs adjusting again. Could also be that the new bearings are putting more pressure on worn ball joints, TRE’s, etc? Just a wild ass guess.

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

jesse3638

Hooked
No wheel bearings are the 'best' for running larger tires, but Timken has a good solid reputation.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

For what it's worth Oreilly carries Dorman unit bearing which come with a lifetime warranty. I've used Oreilly for radiator warranty on my old and they are easy to work with. They are a little more expensive than Timken but may be worth it when it wears out.

SnakeDoctor

Anyone had a dud new unit bearing?

Had already replaced ball joints, replaced unit bearing with timken (made in china - ordered from Rock Auto) unit, movement is about 50% of what it was, but still moves easily at 12/6 oclock by hand, can see the axle move with the wheel.

timken.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom