Installing a Rubicon Transfer Case in a 2014 Wrangler JK Sport (Auto Trans)

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I think it’s much easier, but everyone has an asshole...I mean, opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It definitely was easier removing the cross member, well kind of. Couldn’t get an angle with it on. Forgot how much a pain it is with the evo skids. My cross memeber skid is bent and twisted. But got the tcase in. No do figure out how to switch the gear ration with the traildash 2

Neohiofan

It definitely was easier removing the cross member, well kind of. Couldn’t get an angle with it on. Forgot how much a pain it is with the evo skids. My cross memeber skid is bent and twisted. But got the tcase in. No do figure out how to switch the gear ration with the traildash 2

I have a 14jk automatic. I did this swap a few years ago. Sorry to tell you this but the td2 does not have the option to program the transfer case gear ratio. I talked with Superchips on numerous occasions to see how to do it. Only way was to buy a flashcal and use it in conjunction with the trail dash 2. I tried it every way they told me to program the settings together and it would work but when in 4low my jeep would go in limp mode at random times. It would work for 100 miles or 3 miles sometimes. I’d have to wipe out all of my settings and reprogram and hope for the best. I called motech in Vegas where I purchased the tcase and he told me that everyone was having problems with Superchips and the swap. Said to sell the Superchips and buy an aev procal. I did just that and so far not one issue. I don’t know if anything has changed since then but sharing my experience with you to hopefully save you some grief.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I have a 14jk automatic. I did this swap a few years ago. Sorry to tell you this but the td2 does not have the option to program the transfer case gear ratio. I talked with Superchips on numerous occasions to see how to do it. Only way was to buy a flashcal and use it in conjunction with the trail dash 2. I tried it every way they told me to program the settings together and it would work but when in 4low my jeep would go in limp mode at random times. It would work for 100 miles or 3 miles sometimes. I’d have to wipe out all of my settings and reprogram and hope for the best. I called motech in Vegas where I purchased the tcase and he told me that everyone was having problems with Superchips and the swap. Said to sell the Superchips and buy an aev procal. I did just that and so far not one issue. I don’t know if anything has changed since then but sharing my experience with you to hopefully save you some grief.

I’m not sure, but I think I got it set up as a rubicon. I tested it and had no problems so far. But have read the same thing that everyone uses a pro cal. I just like the dash for the trans temp and everything else.

desertrunner

On the topic of the trans jack and cross member, I left my cross member in and it wasnt that big if a deal. Easier without it I'm sure but I don't remember thinking damn I really wish I took it out.

And lifting it into place solo took me a few hours of trial and error and in the end I just rolled it up on my chest bench pressed it up in there stuffed my leg up in there to hold it so I could turn the yoke and eventually it went in. Not the smartest or safest way but it worked if you don't want to spend any money. But a cheap HF tranny jack or build a 2x4 frame for your floor jack is worth it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tkerr1

Great Info

Thank you to everyone that has done this before, paying the way has made this swap something I think I can tackle.

Thomas

TxCoastie

Thanks for the great write-up! We tackled that job yesterday.

Just to add a lil extra here....I used the 9/16" flexhead ratchet wrench stubby on the bolt head facing about 11 o'clock.

The bolt head facing about 2 o'clock I used an offset 12 pt closed wrench.

The bolt head facing about 4 o'clock I used a 1/4" drive ratchet, 1/4" drive swivel socket, & a 1/4" drive 14mm shallow socket.

Without those tools it would be close to impossible because the bracket holding those two bolts has a curved lip on top & on right facing forward of the tcase.

I found the offset wrench & 1/4" drive swivel socket at Orielly. Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• 20220404_113045.jpg
    20220404_113045.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220404_113643.jpg
    20220404_113643.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220404_115241.jpg
    20220404_115241.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220404_115000.jpg
    20220404_115000.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Thanks for the great write-up! We tackled that job yesterday.

Just to add a lil extra here....I used the 9/16" flexhead ratchet wrench stubby on the bolt head facing about 11 o'clock.

The bolt head facing about 2 o'clock I used an offset 12 pt closed wrench.

The bolt head facing about 4 o'clock I used a 1/4" drive ratchet, 1/4" drive swivel socket, & a 1/4" drive 14mm shallow socket.

Without those tools it would be close to impossible because the bracket holding those two bolts has a curved lip on top & on right facing forward of the tcase.

I found the offset wrench & 1/4" drive swivel socket at Orielly. Hope this is helpful.
You are welcome.

Top Bottom