I need assistance identifying a noise from my jeep

TX_JK

Hi Guys,

Last week in installed the DynaTrac ProGrip Brake system on my 2013 JK Unlimited Rubicon. I have ProComp LaPaz wheels running 37" tires on the factory JK D44 axles.

When i turn LEFT and ONLY LEFT I get this grinding sound in the right rear passenger area. My offroad shop looked at it for 2 hours and we couldn't figure out what the sound was.
When driving straight you don't hear it. In the video i was in a big left hand turn.

We thought it might have been the wheel weights rubbing on the caliper housing but we verified clearance and rebalanced all 4 tires. Then we though maybe it was an issue with the e-brake pads rubbing the inside of the new rotors but pulling the rotors there is no visible sign of rubbing other than the few times i've pulled the e-brake to verify its working.

Please listen to the sound and see if you can identify or help point me in the right direction of things to check for. Its also possible this has nothing to do with the brakes and its just coincidence that this sound started around the same time.

Does it sound like an axle bearing? I'm stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I taped my iPhone to the top of the right rear frame rail. So this shot is looking down at the right rear passenger tire.

Last edited:
My volume isn't working...is the sound more of a EEEEERRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAKK-K-K-K-K-KSSSSSHHHHEEEEEEEEIIIIIIAAAAAARRR

or a MMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRNNNNNNOOOOOOORRRRRROROROROROOOOOOORRRRRRRKKKK?

Seriously though...it sounds like a brake dust shield or exhaust shield to me...but I can't really tell from the video. A bearing would be a more constant sound.

Does it do it on completely flat ground? Maybe a dried out bushing as it flexes?

TX_JK

My volume isn't working...is the sound more of a EEEEERRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAKK-K-K-K-K-KSSSSSHHHHEEEEEEEEIIIIIIAAAAAARRR

or a MMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRNNNNNNOOOOOOORRRRRROROROROROOOOOOORRRRRRRKKKK?

Seriously though...it sounds like a brake dust shield or exhaust shield to me...but I can't really tell from the video. A bearing would be a more constant sound.

Does it do it on completely flat ground? Maybe a dried out bushing as it flexes?

You never hear the noise at all driving straight either fast or slow or turning right. Its only when turning left. If i put the rear end of my jeep in the air and turn the tires you don't hear any rubbing at all.

OK...just annoyed everyone at work cranking the volume...it definitely sounds like the tire is rubbing on something...or brake dust shield.

Have you modified anything lately?

TX_JK

OK...just annoyed everyone at work cranking the volume...it definitely sounds like the tire is rubbing on something...or brake dust shield.

Have you modified anything lately?

The Dynatrac ProGrip Brake setup is all I have modified. Bigger Rotors, Different Brake Caliper Bracket, New Brake Pads. I've taken that corner apart several times. I can do it blindfolded now.

JKU-Tom

Everyone I know that has installed these brakes gets that sound. It goes away. I think it's the dust shield but we couldn't pin it down. After a week or so it will go away.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WW_Svi

Volume doesn't work on my iPhone app, everyone appears to be suggesting dust shield but just keep in mind that a wheel bearing that is bad doesn't have to be a constant sound. Sometimes the wheel will still be tight to the hand but when you take a turn and the vehicle loads the bearing, then it will start to grind. So if you take a left turn with enough speed the the right side bearing will get loaded and make a sound. Typically this is more noticeable in the front tires since there is more forces in a turn there but it can still happen in the rear tire.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TX_JK

Thanks for all the suggestions. Saturday I am going to take all 4 wheels off and go through the entire brake system and recheck everything even if it looks correct.

Noises like this drive me absolutely crazy. Assuming its not brakes then next most logical assumption is unit bearings on the front or bearings on the rear axle seal.

Ugh. Just Empty Every Pocket. I will report back.

jeeeep

Hooked
if it's only when turning, check the brake dust shield 1st. you can check the brake dust shields without taking anything off - have someone turn the wheel while you look at the dust shields.

Doesn't take much bend in the shield to make contact during a turn.

Had similar issue with mine when making a left turn, just looking at the dust shield I couldn't see the slight bend in it, once I had someone turn the wheel I could see where it was making contact.

WJCO

Meme King
if it's only when turning, check the brake dust shield 1st. you can check the brake dust shields without taking anything off - have someone turn the wheel while you look at the dust shields.

Doesn't take much bend in the shield to make contact during a turn.

Had similar issue with mine when making a left turn, just looking at the dust shield I couldn't see the slight bend in it, once I had someone turn the wheel I could see where it was making contact.

His noise is coming from the rear though, but only when turning. Weird one for sure. I'm almost wondering if sway bar is rubbing on something.

J

JKDream

His noise is coming from the rear though, but only when turning. Weird one for sure. I'm almost wondering if sway bar is rubbing on something.

That's what I'm thinking, it sounds like a tire rub opposed to a bearing noise.
I'm assuming you've trimmed pinch seam etc?

Last edited by a moderator:

TX_JK

That's what I'm thinking, it sounds like a tire rub opposed to a bearing noise.
I'm assuming you've trimmed pinch seam etc?

Pinch seam was trimmed a long time ago. This noise only started after I installed the DynaTrac ProGrip brakes. I also have adjustable control arms so my rear axle is pushed back to re-center it in the wheelwell too. Its definitely a strange noise. When you're driving the jeep and you turn left you actually feel it in the steering wheel, gas pedal, and in the seat. It sounds like a heavier vibration/rubbing than what a dust shield would make but i'm not ruling anything out at this point. Tomorrow hopefully i will have it solved. I suppose as a last ditch effort i could always take the rear brake upgrade off and put the stock JK brakes back on and see if the problem goes away.

TX_JK

I wanted to return to this thread and let you know how i solved my noise.

I called Dynatrac and they had a few guys listen to the noise in my Youtube video but they couldn't come to any conclusion. They were very helpful and should I have needed to return any part of the kit for replacement they were totally onboard with helping. Thank you Dynatrac.

What i ended up doing is pulling the Dynatrac Brake Caliper Bracket, Pads, and Rotors and swapped sides. During the swap process I also re-adjusted my eBrake and cleaned the eBrake springs and the entire brake assembly with brake cleaner. Sometimes the springs and clips that are part of the eBrake system get rusty and can make noise. I was able to get that all cleaned up.

After putting everything back together the noise is gone. :clap2:

If i had to point to something that was the problem i suspect it was the "adjustment" to the eBrake system that made the difference. I suspect the eBrake pads were misadjusted and starting everything over and redoing it all fixed it.

Fingers Crossed.

Last edited:

GoldenJK

I had the same noise after installing my progrips but it came from rear drivers side when turning. Absolutely nothing was rubbing and I took apart and reinstalled a few times with no luck.

Eventually solved it by pulling the caliper bracket and pads off again, cleaning the slide bolts, and brake pad clips real well, and greasing with synthetic brake caliper grease. Also put a little of the grease on the back side of the pads where the piston contacts them.
Noise is totally gone.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom