How to order a new Jeep?

SO, I have spent months researching which Jeep I want etc etc, and that's the easy part.

I'm likely to wait for the 2022 Jeeps to drop (seems like October maybe) and I intend to build and order a Jeep. It's the ordering and financing process that has me a bit stumped. I understand you put down a $1K deposit when ordering through a dealer. It also seems that the wait time will be anywhere from 2 weeks to about 6 months at this stage. I've read a lot of conflicting reports and opinions on that.

My main question today is, will I be working out a financing deal with the dealer on the day I place the order (makes sense) or are the details finalized closer to or on delivery date? I have never ordered a vehicle before, so go ahead and treat me like the noob I obviously am. For example, I'll be offering my Xterra as a trade. Will that be valued on order date, or anticipated future value etc etc...

WJCO

Meme King
I would get your trade in value assessed a week ahead or time or so so you have that exact number. That way the only number you need to deal with is the amount that you're financing. That way there are no games being played with numbers while you're in an emotional state just wanting to sign for a new Jeep. You could also around that time get pre-approval from an outside bank ahead of time so that you already know about what you're payment will be along with a cheaper interest rate. But otherwise, yes, financing happens at the dealer the same day.

Upvote 0
I would get your trade in value assessed a week ahead or time or so so you have that exact number. That way the only number you need to deal with is the amount that you're financing. That way there are no games being played with numbers while you're in an emotional state just wanting to sign for a new Jeep. You could also around that time get pre-approval from an outside bank ahead of time so that you already know about what you're payment will be along with a cheaper interest rate. But otherwise, yes, financing happens at the dealer the same day.
That makes sense. Good tips, thanks. But then I'm still driving my Xterra around until the Jeep shows up? I guess they cover the eventuality that the condition of the trade-in is not what was originally agreed on in the fine print?

Upvote 0

WJCO

Meme King
That makes sense. Good tips, thanks. But then I'm still driving my Xterra around until the Jeep shows up? I guess they cover the eventuality that the condition of the trade-in is not what was originally agreed on in the fine print?
A lot of places give a week in writing. I'm sure there's fine print about condition/mileage/etc between the time they make the offer and when it becomes theirs. If you already have a dealer in mind, you can always call and ask what their policy is.

Upvote 0

jesse3638

Hooked
I'm in the process of doing the same thing. They will give me a preliminary value on my trade now but the final value will come 30 days before the new vehicle is delivered. This is where I'm struggling because the dealer I'm using requires a 1k non-refundable deposit in a signed contract. So when it comes time for my trade they can essentially lowball me if they wanted knowing they've got my $1k if I'm not happy with the offer and I walk.

Upvote 0
I'm in the process of doing the same thing. They will give me a preliminary value on my trade now but the final value will come 30 days before the new vehicle is delivered. This is where I'm struggling because the dealer I'm using requires a 1k non-refundable deposit in a signed contract. So when it comes time for my trade they can essentially lowball me if they wanted knowing they've got my $1k if I'm not happy with the offer and I walk.

Are you buying out of state? I didn’t think that was legal in Ca.

Upvote 0
I'm in the process of doing the same thing. They will give me a preliminary value on my trade now but the final value will come 30 days before the new vehicle is delivered. This is where I'm struggling because the dealer I'm using requires a 1k non-refundable deposit in a signed contract. So when it comes time for my trade they can essentially lowball me if they wanted knowing they've got my $1k if I'm not happy with the offer and I
Hmmm. Sketch. Knowing me I’ll break the Xterra 31 days out…I might have to try a private sale and drive the Mrs Mazda for a few months while I wait. She never drives her car anyway…

Upvote 0

PoorDad

If you have another car to use for the time you are waiting, you might be better off selling your XTerra to a place like CarMax or some other place like it. That way, you can use the money from that sale for the deposit. CarMax gave me about 5K more than my local Toyota dealer offered when I sold them my Tacoma.

Upvote 0

jesse3638

Hooked
Are you buying out of state? I didn’t think that was legal in Ca.
Yeah that's what I was looking to do. Local dealership wanted $64k (including dealer mark ups) before tax title and license. MSRP is $58,640. The problem that used to happen is when it came to smog. There were 48 state vehicles which essentially could not be sold as new in CA. Therefore if you bought one you would not be able to register it. The vehicle had to have 1700 miles on it to be considered "used". Buying out of state the dealer will arrange to pay the CA tax and not the state I'm purchasing it in.
Why do a trade? Private party on SUV’s is through the roof right now.
Yeah that was my thought too. Just not sure if I want the headache. I was going to see what value CARMAX might put on it. I'm just looking to break even or maybe $1500 more than we owe on it.

Upvote 0
If you have another car to use for the time you are waiting, you might be better off selling your XTerra to a place like CarMax or some other place like it. That way, you can use the money from that sale for the deposit. CarMax gave me about 5K more than my local Toyota dealer offered when I sold them my Tacoma.
LOL Carmax should call that &5K the Extreme Recon Advantage

Upvote 0
Top Bottom