How Long are You Willing to Wait for Jeep Parts?

J&k_Overland

I ordered a ecm for the YJ off a guy in Cali. Same guy I got my TJ frame from. Waited a week no word from him no tracking number nothing. Texted hey wtf he said he had sent it Wednesday sure enough wife checked the mail later that day and it was there. Communication is key when your waiting on shit.

MericaMade

I think that's what frustrates me the most, when you order something and are told that it'll be delivered in a set amount of time and then later be told that it's gonna be even longer without any real idea of how much longer is longer. Sure, you can change your plans but only after wasting time on waiting for nothing.
Yes, this as well on top of when the company prints the shipping label and you get a notification saying it will be delivered in 5 days but sits in pending status for a week.

Ddays

Hooked
Yes, this as well on top of when the company prints the shipping label and you get a notification saying it will be delivered in 5 days but sits in pending status for a week.

Another real problem is the actual shipping. UPS isn't totally terrible, but trying to get something shipped via common carrier from say, California to Pa, can be a real challenge. I've had shipments sit on a loading dock for a week waiting pickup because of the shortage of trucks.

jeeeep

Hooked
2 weeks is reasonable. What pisses me off is a part showing as in stock but once ordered the back ordered email shows up with no ETA

I get that most ordering sites are just order takers and it's up to the actual manufacturer or some wholesale warehouse but with today's inventory technology, there is no reason not to be up to date on actual quantities on hand.

If the part is "Made in America" and I order direct from the manufacturer, 2 weeks max. I don't want to hear "more than expected orders" and delayed 6-8 weeks or longer, not my problem.

If they don't respond for within a reasonable time (72 hours max) I tend to cancel the order and find another source.

Really pisses me off when there is no option but to wait on a part that they sold as available...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, it really is frustrating to see parts being listed as "in stock" and be able to place an order for them only to find that there is some kind of crazy delivery date far out in the future or worse, no ETA at all. It's all BS. Just ran into this problem with KC ERA lights.

BaddestCross

Like everything in life, communication is key. I don't order anything if the vendor can't guarantee a delivery date. If that delivery date isn't met and there has been no communication, I'll cancel.

Rona didn't magically wipe out the need for customer service... Especially over a year in. At the beginning it was "acceptable" because no one knew what the fuck was going on, but now? Fuck that.

benatc1

Hooked
I often don't mind the shipping wait, gives me more time to come up with a reason for my wife as to why I bought it lol. J/k, kinda depends on what it is for me, something I know is worth it and a reason why I'm buying that specific one, im willing to wait a while if that is what it takes, but I do think there is is more to some of these companies and distributors wanting and trying to run lean due to "covid" still, and not just sourcing/material arrival to blame. Certainly doesn't apply to everything

FredT

You do realize that it's not their fault for the delay? Overseas manufacturers/shipping are the reason for the delays for the most part.
I’m sorry I can’t buy that either. Coverking is made in the USA, and if they were a responsible manufacturer, they would have more than one source for suppliers. Regardless, I’ve ordered some items from Amazon that actually come from overseas (China) and I’m not waiting 5 months. I just don’t buy the overseas/shipping excuse as the reason for a 5+ month delay for anything.

MericaMade

Like everything in life, communication is key. I don't order anything if the vendor can't guarantee a delivery date. If that delivery date isn't met and there has been no communication, I'll cancel.

Rona didn't magically wipe out the need for customer service... Especially over a year in. At the beginning it was "acceptable" because no one knew what the fuck was going on, but now? Fuck that.
Yeah, I agree after the 15 day shut down I would expect delays but a year after and compaines still have not figured out a work around is just an excuse.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I've lowered my expectations since 2020... Makes life less stressful. 😂 If I really like the company, the item is a want more then a need... and they are honest... I'll wait. If I Need parts or I'm dead in the water... I find something else.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
For me 2-3 weeks is what I’m willing to wait. What pisses me off is when I go to order something and it’s listed as “in stock”. A day or two later I get an email that says backordered with no eta on shipment or delivery date. I will then try and buy that part elsewhere if I can before deleting my order.

Weebz

Caught the Bug
If it is a function of fabrication because it’s “custom” or non typical part the. 2-3 weeks is reasonable. Anything that is commercially being sold as “inventory” item generally produced in quantity then anything above a week and I won’t order. I have no issue paying a little more to get things sooner rather than wait

Bullwinckle

Hooked
What if there are other companies that make a similar part and with quality? Does your support of a company outweigh your desire to receive what you're wanting or needing?
I would say depends on the company and the style of the part. For example there’s not too many front bumper styles I like. I like the style of Evo and that would be my first choice but if wait times were bad then I would opt for LoD. For stock parts from the dealer. I would see if I can find that same part elsewhere for less of a wait.

Well also a good example though Evo’s weld on sliders been 3 weeks (2 years ago) lol 😂 while I would love to buy from them and support them I’m tired of waiting I’ll find another product elsewhere. 👍

Rancho

Caught the Bug
It is so CRAZY right now. There are so many moving parts (at least for us) on the manufacturing level it is nutso.
We were "held up" by another manufacturer (USA based made part) that THEY were held up on stuff to make THEIR part for us...
So imagine buying a part in bulk (100,000+ units) that is included in almost every shock and us making our shocks... but can't "build/finish" units because of this.
Trust me I feel all your pain, I am at the tip of the spear on inventory requests LOL .

I also deal with customers looking to BUY our part and the retailer telling them "Rancho is out, another month before we will have it in stock." When in fact we HAVE it in stock, they just don't forecast/order enough.

Wild times...

Kuboske

Maybe before your time but there used to be a good company called Full-Traction. I say used to be because they went down the same rabbit hole. Last I heard, they were being taken to court.
Oh... wow. I have actually been looking seriously at Full-Traction's, website. Thinking their top of the line, suspension system would be perfect for my TJ.
I thought that was a favored company, back in your TJ, days, Eddie. Thanks for the heads up.
Dang it.... back to GenRight, and a home equity loan...

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Oh... wow. I have actually been looking seriously at Full-Traction's, website. Thinking their top of the line, suspension system would be perfect for my TJ.
I thought that was a favored company, back in your TJ, days, Eddie. Thanks for the heads up.
Dang it.... back to GenRight, and a home equity loan...
You of all people should definitely order full traction.

kevman65

Hooked
I don't like waiting for anything.

BUT, if I'm told up front there is an X delay and I receive it within that time frame, I don't have a complaint.

What I HATE is when a vendor says it's in stock on their website and then receive the confirmation email telling me infinity to unobtanium delay and then tell me I can't cancel because it's already shipped even though it's still forever out for shipping. I get a bit irate and involve the CC company to reverse the charges.

Suspect

2-3 weeks is usually the max for me, however I don’t mind waiting if I agreed to an eta before I purchased. Nothing is worse than being told your item will ship next week and it ends up shipping 3 weeks later. It’s gets really old having to call every company and take the reps word over the phone before I purchase something online because the site will always say it’s in stock when it’s really not.

the whole “COVID” card they play is getting old lol

Top Bottom