Hood louvers ?

JT@623

Hooked
So I’ve been thinking about adding the poison spider hood louvers to the JK to help shed some heat . I’m struggling with cutting big gaping holes in my hood . So just wondering if they are worth it ? With the temps here in AZ I would imagine anything to help shed heat has to help.

I would consider the smaller ones instead of the giant center one just for aesthetics. Similar to this. I hear the vented fender liners help as well. At the end of the day its still the desert and still gonna scald your hand when you touch anything metal, not sure how much more functional the heat dissipation is. I'd be looking at things like ceramic coated headers, coolant additives like engine ice, etc as well.

12.jpg

JT@623

Hooked
I would consider the smaller ones instead of the giant center one just for aesthetics. Similar to this. I hear the vented fender liners help as well. At the end of the day its still the desert and still gonna scald your hand when you touch anything metal, not sure how much more functional the heat dissipation is. I'd be looking at things like ceramic coated headers, coolant additives like engine ice, etc as well.

View attachment 364444
I have the vented fender wells wrapped all the exhaust I’ll check those out .

JT@623

Hooked
No overheating issues just trying to get rid of some heat . It will run 220 230 ish once the fan speeds up it cools down . Just wondering if it will lower the temps under the hood

Bear_JT

Hooked
Louvers have to help. You figure, heat rises and the hood acts as a catch for the heat. Open it up a little and the heat will escape. Especially during slow crawling. I’d still have a hard time cutting it open.

Spazbyt

Hooked
When I cut mine I was most worried about creating a rust problem. It's been 4 years in the rain snow and road salt and it hasn't rusted at all. I used a touch up pen to go around all the cut outs and that has worked really well for me. As far a cooling goes you can visually see it venting heat when your stoped or moving slowly.

JT@623

Hooked
Louvers have to help. You figure, heat rises and the hood acts as a catch for the heat. Open it up a little and the heat will escape. Especially during slow crawling. I’d still have a hard time cutting it open.
That my dilemma either that or put $1200 into a new hood like the 10 year anniversary hood my paint and body guy told me $600 or $700 to paint it if it don’t get dinged up in shipping. The louvers are $200 and they don’t look terrible.

JT@623

Hooked
When I cut mine I was most worried about creating a rust problem. It's been 4 years in the rain snow and road salt and it hasn't rusted at all. I used a touch up pen to go around all the cut outs and that has worked really well for me. As far a cooling goes you can visually see it venting heat when your stoped or moving slowly.
How bad did it hurt to drill the first hole 🤔

Bear_JT

Hooked
That my dilemma either that or put $1200 into a new hood like the 10 year anniversary hood my paint and body guy told me $600 or $700 to paint it if it don’t get dinged up in shipping. The louvers are $200 and they don’t look terrible.
A new hood would be sweet but louvers are cheaper and leave some cash for other mods…

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I pick up the finished 10AE hood for my 2015 next week. I think it cost me $300 in body work to smooth some stuff out and another $400 for paint.

Spazbyt

Hooked
How bad did it hurt to drill the first hole 🤔
The poison spider louver comes with a nice paper template so you can see right where the louver will go and where to cut. To be honest the first hole made me cringe a bit. It was almost like I could hear my wife saying "You did what to the hood of the jeep?!" But after the first cut and a few beers it gets alot easier.

700 to paint just a bare new hood? Seems high.

MericaMade

Installed one a year ago on a buddies and no issue yet. He said it has help with heat issues. Was a pretty straight forward install with a template. Take the hood completely off and grab some good quality cutting wheels and it will go smooth.

JT@623

Hooked
Installed one a year ago on a buddies and no issue yet. He said it has help with heat issues. Was a pretty straight forward install with a template. Take the hood completely off and grab some good quality cutting wheels and it will go smooth.
I’ve got a good body saw and a metabo cut off wheel . The other thing I’m hoping to help is intake air temps I’ve been seeing anything from 160 to 180 .
I was getting similar quotes. Surprisingly, the dealer’s body shop ended up being the best deal by far.
Yeah I know it varies wildly. But if $700 is “your guy” price for basic base coat clear coat. I think you need a new guy.
I’m sure if I take it to south Phoenix I could get it painted cheaper . Most of the shops around here are pretty pricey .

BaddestCross

I’ve got a good body saw and a metabo cut off wheel . The other thing I’m hoping to help is intake air temps I’ve been seeing anything from 160 to 180 .
If you're worried about intake air, get a snorkel. Only way you're gonna really cut down on temps... Even a low-profile one would work.

Top Bottom